The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#125848 - 08/18/07 05:33 AM Re: walking in the heat [Re: Dee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
In the past 10 yrs., I've been gradually getting up earlier to cycle (by 7:30 am out the door. 6:00 am if it's really hot out) ..not just on workdays (out the door by 5:15 am)...but also on weekends.

It initially started because of the summer humidity when I lived in Ontario. For cyclists wanting to do fitness rides at a certain speed and including hills, most definitely humid heat is an energy-sucker. It's a great feeling to finish fitness stuff after 1-2 hrs. and still have a huge chunk of the morning and rest of day left.

Now here in Vancouver, it doesn't steam at 100% humidity. We get 75% humidity in summer, which is lovely to me. Whereas long-term West Coasters complain of "heat".

I'm not sure I could take up fitness walking in any weather. I just walk to places sometimes, because I have to ..due to lack of car and too much rain to make cycling comfortable. Walking to me is a transportation necessity, it is not really a fitness activity ...though in the end, as a secondary benefit, I do get some exercise.

#125849 - 08/18/07 06:14 AM Re: walking in the heat [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Orchid,
I would love to be able to ride a bike but here there are no bike trails and getting out on any of the roads is asking to be hit. Wow...you really impress me with your dedication. I wish I could get inspired again to get into something physical.
You go girl!

#125850 - 08/18/07 12:23 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: Dee]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I walk the dogs early in the morning......first thing when I get up, before coffee or anything. Usually up and out by 6:30 a.m., no later than 7:00 a.m. Then I come back, have coffee, read the paper,check email (And BWS!) and head to the gym, most mornings (Sunday is my day off!)
I used to be able to lie out in the sun and tan and read, but I can't handle it anymore unless I'm at the beach where there's a decent breeze.
We sold our summer home in upstate NY last summer, so this is my first summer in Florida in 20 years, and the heat has really been getting to me the last couple of weeks........really looking forward to the weather cooling down, it can't happen soon enough for me!

#125851 - 08/18/07 03:27 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Hey Crosstitch, you live in a really not part of the state.
Right in the middle, no ocean breezes, central Florida can get really hot. I have a sister in Orlando, I'm down there quite a bit. I live in Jax, 12 miles from the beach, so we actually do get a good breeze most days, even this far inland, (except this has been one of those exceptionally hot summers) but you cross the river into the west side of town and it will be 10 degrees hotter in the summer.

#125852 - 08/18/07 03:41 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: gerrbeck]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
It's been scorching hot here since mid-June, but this morning we woke up to autumn temps! It was so cold that all my flowers just tucked themselves into each other to keep warm!

It's warming up, but still there's a definite northern nippiness in the air...a good day for gardening and doing all the other outside chores it's been too hot to do all summer.

(Maya Angelou)

#125853 - 08/18/07 07:47 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: Eagle Heart]
gerrbeck Offline

Eagle, could you send some of that cool air down here?

#125854 - 08/19/07 01:06 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks Eagle. It arrived yesterday morning. I turned off the air and opened the windows. What a difference it makes. I feel connected to the outdoors again.

#125856 - 08/21/07 09:44 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: ]
gerrbeck Offline

Dotsie, I'm jealous! This heat is sucking the life out of me.
We are in the middle of another hot dry spell, but they are saying we may get some relief in the way of rain this weekend, we really need it. My flowers are looking really sad.

#125857 - 08/22/07 02:01 AM Re: walking in the heat [Re: gerrbeck]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dotsie, to answer your question, I'd say that I am more sensitive to climate changes. Hotter is hotter, colder is colder. And I can't take humidity. I was in Florida over the 4th of July, and I thought the humidity was worse than the heat. Here in Colorado at 8 pm it is 81 degrees and 42 percent humidity, a perfect time to walk. It's sunny about 300 days a year here, and I don't like the sun on my head anymore. Do you know that walking in high heat and humidity can actually cause migraines and high blood pressure? Best to follow JJ's routine.

#125858 - 08/22/07 03:22 PM Re: walking in the heat [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Living in Baltimore, one must get use to the humidity, or you'd never go out. When the humidity is low, it's such a treat. Lynn, your weather sounds gorgeous.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved