The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125262 - 08/10/07 04:11 AM Wellbutrin
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I've been reading these posts for info on anti-depressants.
I started Wellbutrin a couple, maybe even a few months ago when dealing with another episode with my drug addicted son causing extreme chaos in my life. My depression was unmanagable this time as I went into a deep depression, couldn't get out of bed etc. I just felt hopeless and had no will to get up or do anything.

I went to the doctors and she recommended I go on anti-depressants. This happened after three visits to her in less than two weeks. I was trying to avoid medication but she insisted as I kept getting worse. I used to be on anti-depressants years ago and was prescribed Serzone and then Zoloft. Both made me gain alot of weight. I took a week off work and quit them after being on them for five years. I used Ativan to relieve the anxiety. This worked ok and I then went on St. John's Wort.
Then this next depression bout with my son. It was caused by years of trying to help him and having my hopes dashed over and over again. I just couldn't take the roller coaster ride and became very depressed over not being able to help him.

Now, after a few months on Wellbutrin I feel that it is not doing the trick. I am starting to feel depressed again. I have no energy, no motivation at all to do anything. I just go through the motions at work and cannot focus on reading my assignments to finish my real estate license and there is a deadline. This is really overwhelming me. On top of that after going on a strict diet and exercising I continue to gain weight. I was told by my doctor that Wellbutrin usually causes weight loss.

Has anyone had any experience with this drug? I feel out of sorts, zoned out, sometimes dizzy and am always hungry. My doctor increased the dose from 150 to 300 after the first month. I heard over 300 and you can experience seizures. Kind of scary. Also, I have body twitches. I'll be sitting still and my arm will move, just a subtle movement but one that I notice. It's like a muscle movement. It happens with my legs and arms. I'll just twitch without notice.
If anyone has had experience with this drug I'd appreciate some input.
Kate

#125263 - 08/10/07 03:27 PM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: katebcca]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My daughter is on it and her doctor had to tweak it because it stopped working. But, she also takes another med in the morning along with the Wellbutrin. Can't remember which one. I would return to the doctor. Oh, she hasn't gained any weight on it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#125264 - 08/11/07 12:21 AM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: Dianne]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Wellbutrin must be a fairly well tolerated med. My mother, aged 75 with Alzheimer's and terminal cancer, is on it. Why? I don't know. She was also on Lexapro, prescribed by the same DR. So I called her DR and asked why she needed both, and he said, "Hmmm. I guess she doesn't need both." Anyway, I am also on Wellbutrin after being on everything through the years from Elavil to Depakote to Topomax to Zoloft, Celexa, and Cymbalta. The Wellbutrin does not cause weight gain, nor (sadly) weight loss. I studied and passed my real estate exam this year while on Wellbutrin. However, I could not imagine taking 300 mg. I never considered it. I did not know that was an option. I don't know of any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety that was ever a cure for my depression. Kate, I dare say it is not the med that is making you lose concentration, but the troubles with your son. It's hard to concentrate with so much turmoil.

#125265 - 08/11/07 03:21 AM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: Princess Lenora]
katebcca Offline

It seemed ok at first, helped me with energy etc. Now I am always tired. Yes the fact that I don't know where my son is causes me great distress at times. I am just hoping that in his own way he is getting his life/act together. No news is good news but I still worry. I think his girlfriend is pregnant, another worry as they are both drug addicts. Last I heard he is staying at a shelter.

I heard 300 is standard after the initial 150. After three weeks on 150 my doctor increased it as it started to not be effective. I have not gained weight but have not lost either dispite being on a very restrictive diet. My main concern is the involuntary twitches and the feeling of being zoned out. It is hard to concentrate and I wish it was possible to take my real estate course at night school. I am taking it by coorespondence and find I just can't get into it. I need feedback from others and do better in a classroom setting. The math is really hard so I am going to get a tutor. Maybe that will get me moving.
Kate

#125266 - 08/11/07 04:06 AM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: katebcca]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Kate, yes, I wonder if the muscle twitching is a result of the meds. I did not know that 300 was standard. Maybe that's the trouble in my case, an inadequate dose. The Wellbutrin was prescribed for me because I was lethargic. If only the DR knew the thoughts that ran through my head...there is no antidepressant for that kind of depression. As for the real estate, I was able to go to the classes everyday for 3 and a half weeks. Now my unemployed husband is taking the real estate classes via correspondence, like you. However, I help him study, and he is doing well. The real estate is confusing and BORING. The RE school I enrolled in offered a Saturday math session. Do you think that is available to you?

#125268 - 08/11/07 01:05 PM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: ]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
That's a really good point, Speakermom. A few years ago my doctor put me on anti-depressants. I started on Wellbutrin, but eventually decided it wasn't working for me. So I switched to Effexor. That worked better for me. But the one thing it wouldn't fix was the extreme fatigue...the doctor hadn't bothered to investigate beyond the "depression" diagnosis (which is often the case), but I asked her to delve deeper, and she finally discovered I was "dangerously low" in B12 and had an elevated white blood count. So in addition to the AD's, I started taking a B-complex every day. Within a few days the extreme fatigue eased enough to allow me to climb stairs and do basic stuff around the house.

As for the elevated white-blood count, by testing me when I was feeling good as well as when I was feeling worse, we managed to uncover a direct correlation between the extreme fatigue and the higher WBC. We never did find out what was behind the WBC, but it lasted for about two years. (I found out much later, while talking with my brother's hemotologist in the hospital last February, that such a high WBC should have been thoroughly investigated)

Anyway, these days I have significantly more energy - and both my WBC and B12 counts are normal. So there might be more to your story than depression. Make sure you get some blood work done to rule out other factors...B12 deficiency is much more common than you would think, and does contribute to fatigue and depression.

(Maya Angelou)

#125269 - 08/11/07 06:59 PM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: katebcca]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hope you're on your way to recovery, Kate.

I can't offer anything here since I've never taken anti-depressants. Counselling therapy for me helped lots. Please check in victoria for women's support services in the area of counselling. continue to exercise --it's quite important for your energy level..just forget about this weight loss thing. You're after the endorphin production here from exercise.

As for your son, you must be grieving lots to feel at a loss how to help him in his life.

#125270 - 08/12/07 05:24 AM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: orchid]
katebcca Offline

I am feeling better today. I wrote my thoughts down which helped. I also contacted the real estate board and found a tutor who is supposed to be really good. She will help with the math, or anything else I need. I'm also meeting with a group this week of people that are also taking the course to discuss real estate. There is an online discussion board and as they don't offer classes in my town a group is forming to help each other study. Things are looking up.

I am still going to go to the doctors as I would like to get off this medication and go back on St. John's Wort. Thanks for the info on B 12, that's a great suggestion and could be just what I need.

I feel that I am going through a mid life crisis of some sort. I want everything to stay the same, but also want to make some big changes, does that make sense? My kids are growing up and don't need me as much so my role is changing.

Then there is the boyfriend situation, more in Singlehood.
Kate

#125271 - 08/12/07 02:12 PM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: katebcca]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Kate, I've been on nearly every AD out there, at one time or another or combinations there of, and if I've learned one thing it's that AD's work differently for everyone. If Wellbutrin isn't working for you, or it's giving you these side effects that you can't tolerate, ask the doctor to prescribe something different.

I also agree to try some other forms of mental/physical helps as well. Journaling is a great way. Good for you!

Taking walks help. It'll get you out in the fresh air, away from the house, and it'll even boost your metabolism.

If possible, I'd also ask the doctor to do a complete blood work up, to determine if you are deficient in any areas. Like was said, fatigue could be cause by a variety of reasons, both external (your son's situation, boyfriend, etc) and internal (lack of Vit B)

Something that helps me to keep my metabolism, energy, etc up is to take Biotin. As a side effect, you'll have great hair and nails!

If you ever want to chat you can e-mail me.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#125272 - 08/16/07 12:22 AM Re: Wellbutrin [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Emyjay Offline

Dear Kate,

I'm Emily, the person who posted the "it's back and challenging" thread.

If you've read all of the compassionate and helpful replies from the boomer ladies, you'll know that you've come to the right place for help and support.

Like Vicki, I've also been on almost every AD out there.

My depression is constant, but now under control thanks to a wonderful Dr. who just kept searching until he found the meds that would work for me.

As Vicki has said, AD meds work differently for different people.

I've never tried Wellbutrin, but know others who have taken it with success.

I agree with Lenore about the current stressors in your life. You are dealing with issues that would upset most any mother who loves their child.

For some reason, I always seem to time out. If I type too long, I can't post. So, I'm going to close for the moment.

Vicki has invited you to contact her by email, and I'm extending my hand to you, as well. ((((Kate))))

Treat yourself gently.

Blessing,
Emily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved