The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#12394 - 04/10/06 03:35 AM Sundowning???
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
Has anyone experienced "sundowning" with a parent?
My mom suddenly began experiencing it when she had to go into the rehab hospital.
I thought once she came home she would be ok--but she's worse than ever.
Her doctor is on vacation & it's been hell since she came home the 23rd of March. The covering doctor won't prescribe anything to help her sleep at night--and I am wearing thin.
I've gone online & checked out numerous sites. I can't figure out if this is an early symptom of Alzheimers or not. (I really don't want to know the answer!)
It is killing me---this all happened so suddenly. I don't know how I will handle it if this is the beginning of the end.

#12395 - 04/10/06 03:55 AM Re: Sundowning???
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sundowning is extremely common in the nursing homes I have worked with and with the elderly in general. Doctors say it is a sign of alzheimers, but seem confused as to cause and treatment.

We thought my mother was getting sundowners a while back. She was not sleeping very much at all and seemed agitated a lot. The doctors prescribed sleeping pills, but they made her dizzy and she fell twice. I spent some time with her and it seemed to me that she had restless leg syndrome. She continually moved her legs all night even while in bed and got up often to walk.

I got her some melatonin and magnesium and she seemed to sleep better. She is still taking it and her mind seems almost as it always has been (very bright). Also, she stopped taking the blood pressure pills. Research shows that lowering the blood pressure does not prevent stroke or heart attack. That would certainly be my observation and they have multiple serious, but insidious side effects.

I think Mom was confused and dizzy from her medicine and also from not being able to sleep. I slept with her a couple of nights and when I saw how her legs were constantly in motion, I thought the restless leg thing might be worth a try. I am fearful of the pharmaceuticals for it though. Bad side effects. So far so good with the magnesium and melatonin.

My prayers are with you and your mother.

smile.

[ April 09, 2006, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#12396 - 04/10/06 04:55 AM Re: Sundowning???
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too have experienced a loved one with Sundowning... My Dad usually had this once a month. It wasn't that often, thank goodness, and he actually experienced it MORE in the beginning stages of his dementia than in the middle, or later.

He was diagnosed with Lewy-Body Dementia. Eventually we had to place him in the VA home with other patients of Alzheimers as we could not lift him, or give him the care he needed. Sometimes the ENTIRE set of residents would have it at the same time, once a month. Isn't that strange?

I found there was nothing I could do to prevent it, or fight it and that is was yet another thing to deal with as far as LBD was concerned. I visited every night after work, and I would stay as late as possible when Daddy was experiencing this because he was so restless and I knew the nurses and CNA's didn't have the time or manpower to give him one-on-one attention, which was what he needed and DESERVED. So I would stay until his meds for sleeping kicked in and he was resting peacefully.

A word of caution. Make sure your Mom is diagnosed properly before ANYBODY gives her meds of any kind. Some people I know had their loved ones diagnosed with dementia when in fact all they had was thyroid problems!

JJ

#12397 - 04/10/06 06:58 AM Re: Sundowning???
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Jaw Jaw
My mother did this for a year this sundowning . She would be up walking the floors all night and then sleep all day . They she fell and then had to put in one these cage chairs and she could walk freely without falling down. She did this until she slowly declined and then stoped eating all together and I think you all know my mother died March 5th . She was 94 .

Renee

#12398 - 04/10/06 04:48 PM Re: Sundowning???
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I never heard of this. I'm sorry that your Mom is suffering with this Kay B.

#12399 - 04/10/06 06:34 PM Re: Sundowning???
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
This is considered one of the typical phases of alzheimer's. My mom would get very argumentative in the evenings. If she had had a few brandies - she would really get mouthy. I believe it has something to do with the lack of daylight and the confusion it can cause. I have a great book that deals with each phase - but unfortunately, it's packed away until hell freezes over. I'll try to remember the title/author and post it asap.

#12400 - 04/11/06 07:02 AM Re: Sundowning???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Have you Googled sundowning? I just did and there seems to be lots of information out there. Hope this helps.

I remember when Mom was in the very final stages of cancer, she had been in the hospital (ER for over 24 hours without windows) then placed in a room for a couple days. He had an episode which freaked all of us out. Prior to her boost of almost manic energy, we thought she was dying. She couldn't walk she was so weak. During the night she sat up in bed and was speaking to her mom and sister; sorta waving to them as they they were passing by.

Anyway, the next day she got out of bed and was ranting and raving about stuff we couldn't even imagine. They gave her Haldol(not sure if that's how you spell it). BOy did that do the trick.

But you know what? I really think Mom was over-medicated.

They gave us the Haldol to take home. They said that any time she began to appear agitated to give her the medicine, so we did. And it worked.

Now this is end stage cancer, but the doctor referred to it as sundowning because it began after she had been in the room without windows. Weird. So much I'll never totally comprehend.

And so sad.

I'm sorry for those going through it with your parents. Keep getting the support YOU need to get through these trying times.

#12401 - 04/11/06 03:34 AM Re: Sundowning???
MSInvestigator Offline

Loc: Missouri
Sundowning actually is common in the elderly resident patients, in many cases you will hear staff joke about it being a full moon and the sundowners will be active tonight. This is no joke, they actually do sundown during that period of the month for some reason. Sundowning can occur in any illness not just dementia. When I was a ICU supervisor I found that buy putting the overhead lights on bright it seems to deter this activity. With my own mother I always left her bedroom ceiling light on and we did not have a problem with sundowning. Once she fell asleep I would go in and turn it off. The light does not seem to bother them or interfere with their sleeping. And Dotsie, it is extremely common for a terminal patient or a patient who is near the end of life to converse with expired relatives and too see them. I have seen that many, many times as a nurse.

#12402 - 06/05/06 04:32 PM Re: Sundowning???
Old Knitter Offline

My aunt, who lives with us, has Sundowning. It started slowly. She began talking to long dead friends and relatives. She would tell us about parties they would have at night. She suddenly didn't trust us and would do whatever they said to her. Finally, after trying many medications, her doctor gave her Haldol. It was a miracle! She is my aunt from my youth again. I am so worried about the folks who never get diagnosed.

Holly

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved