The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122647 - 07/04/07 12:29 PM Back yard
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We are in the process of creating a new neat space for relaxing out back. We want a little patio right outside the back door where we can sit, grill, and chill. Since the area is our driveway and is cement, we are considering some container gardening. We're thinking of creating some type of privacy hedge by planting bushes in containers. Anyone know what types of bushes, or small trees that do well in containers? We also want to leave them there through the winter.

#122648 - 07/04/07 01:50 PM Re: Back yard
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Here are some sites that may be useful Dotsie.

http://www.ames.com/thenewpatiotrees.html

http://www.mountainmaples.com (click under containers) They have some great ideas and you can order a catalogue. I would take their ideas and buy locally if I were you.

#122649 - 07/05/07 08:14 PM Re: Back yard [Re: chickadee]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Dotsie,
My suggestion to you would be to go to your local Home Depot Garden Dept and ask someone there what types of plants would be best for your area. They are usually pretty knowledgeable about these things. Also, I have a sister-in-law that lives in your neck of the woods who does a lot of gardening, I can check with her.
gerri

#122650 - 07/05/07 08:16 PM Re: Back yard [Re: gerrbeck]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
P.S.
Be sure to check out the gardening magazines also, they are great for inspiration and advice.
gerri

#122651 - 07/06/07 10:58 AM Re: Back yard [Re: gerrbeck]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dotsie if you have a mild winter you could plant olive trees in the containers. They give a natural bizarre look and a bit of an Italian flair. Also a Buchsbaum ( don't know what they call this in English) is the most thankful. It's always green, grows in a pot, and you can leave it out in the wintertime.

We are redoing our patio as well. Everybody has been getting splinters from our wooden deck, so Hubby attacked the deck and pulled the wooden boards off.

We are now having sand coloured granite stones laid. They are large stones and are easy to take care of. But like always one thing leads to another. Now we have to lower the flower beds, since the new patio is lower. We decided to do flower islands with little pathways between. I just love planning this stuff, but the backbreaking work I leave to others.

#122652 - 07/15/07 05:33 PM Re: Back yard [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Any plans taking shape for the garden, Dotsie?

#122653 - 07/23/07 07:45 PM Re: Back yard [Re: chickadee]
Mountain Ash Offline

Buchsbaum
Its a Box plant...I have several and even the trimmings grow with some tlc.
Box stands the Scottish winters and can be trimmed in July to any nice shape.
Mountain ash

#122654 - 07/25/07 06:27 AM Re: Back yard [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Box plant; okey, thanks Mountain Ash.

We're going to a huge garden shop today. I get the same giddy feeling there as I do when I go to a book store.
Just love it. Hope the grandchild doesn't eat the daisies. Ha! Remember that song from Doris Day? " Please please don't eat the Daisies"….

#122655 - 07/26/07 06:44 PM Re: Back yard [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chick, I ordered a catalog from the mountainmaples site.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm narrowing down containers. I think I'm going with dark green wooden boxes, and I'm considering planting cherry laurels. What do you think?

Hannelore, do you have any pictures of the new look? You're so good at posting photos.
I also love garden and book stores!

#122656 - 07/27/07 12:57 AM Re: Back yard
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,
You know "Watson's" up the road is having a sale on all there planters an pots and plants , you could aske them also what you should plant during the winter . I went up and bought some plants and a flower pots that were on sale and a Sheperds hook for to put my chimes on and plants .

Or just give them a call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved