The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 65 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12243 - 10/31/05 07:04 PM Re: How much can I do?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
If this will make you feel any better, I'll share a story about my ex MIL. I asked her if I could hide my kid's Christmas presents at her house so they wouldn't find them. We had dinner at her house on Christmas Eve and when she gave my children her presents...yep, she gave them the presents I had asked her to hide for me! That left me in the position of having nothing to give them from Santa. Today, I can laugh about it but it sure wasn't funny then.

#12244 - 11/01/05 08:48 AM Re: How much can I do?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Diana,

Wow! That makes my m-i-l sound like Mother Teresa in comparison! And yes, it did make me feel better.

#12245 - 11/01/05 06:45 PM Re: How much can I do?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Anything to help. [Big Grin] She was something else!

#12246 - 11/01/05 09:10 PM Re: How much can I do?
NHJackie Offline

Eeek!

Just when I'd given up on my m-i-l, she calls me yesterday and keeps telling me how much she loves me. Then we get a card in the mail thanking us for all the wonderful things we always do to make her smile.

And people wonder why I'm crazy!!!!! [Roll Eyes]

#12247 - 11/01/05 09:20 PM Re: How much can I do?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Guess all the prayers we sent up are working...imagine that! [Wink]

#12248 - 11/01/05 09:21 PM Re: How much can I do?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Jackie, maybe her eyes have been opened to the wonderful family she has. Sometimes people do change and grow - I truly hope that's the case!

Daisygirl

#12249 - 11/02/05 07:53 AM Re: How much can I do?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
I can identify with the in-law troubles posted here. Mine nearly destroyed our marriage. It took about 10 years for hubby to wake up and see what they were doing to us.

He worked with them so they used that time to criticize me behind my back. He would come home mad at me and I wouldn't know why. They also used their catholic religion (i'm protestant) to drive a wedge between us. Unfortunately, hubby was pretty blind to it all for a long time. It has taken many years and tears to smooth over the feelings of resentment that built up between us.

And now guess who ends up taking care of them? Yup, me! Sister in law is so busy with her drunk live-in and other things in her self-screwed up life that she just can't find the time to participate in their care. She just gets mom to fell sorry for her while I do all the work like dr. appointments and other health care and home issues. Hubby is very supportive and helps, too, but it still usually falls to me to see that everything is taken care of.

The real irony is that when push comes to shove, I still end up the big bad bitch while MIL and her daughter have their little pity parties. SIL will walk off with the family jewels but I will at least have the peace of mind knowing I've done what is important and retain the respect of my husband.

I learned long ago that life isn't fair and we get what we give. I just need to remind myself of that once in a while when the going gets rough!

#12250 - 11/03/05 08:03 AM Re: How much can I do?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by flipperjo:
SIL will walk off with the family jewels but I will at least have the peace of mind knowing I've done what is important and retain the respect of my husband.

I learned long ago that life isn't fair and we get what we give. I just need to remind myself of that once in a while when the going gets rough!

Flipper, who needs the family jewels? I future years, you will maintain your dignity and respect. there's nothing better than that.

How do you manage the frustrations that come with caring for his parents while thier daughter does nothing? I admire you.

#12251 - 11/02/05 09:39 PM Re: How much can I do?
NHJackie Offline

Sometimes you just need to jump in and do what needs to be done. I have no problem with doing anything I can to help my m-i-l. There isn't a think in her house that either my husband or I want or need.

Right now, I'm just trying to relax and take things as they come. Hubby is getting very sensitive about my feelings toward his mother right now, so I'm trying to watch what I say. But it won't stop me from saying how I feel.

#12252 - 11/03/05 08:58 AM Re: How much can I do?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
I think it's a matter of acceptance, Dotsie. I know and accept the fact that SIL will never be much help so I quit expecting it from her. It is very frustrating but knowing that hubby appreciates what I do means everything to me. SIL has continuosly made bad choices for her own life and gets her mom to feel sorry for her. I find that more frustrating than anything.

MIL is a very manipulative person and FIL is a negative know-it-all, both of them control freaks. They don't get along with each other and have become very anti-social as they age. It is work just to spend 10 minutes with them because they continuously argue with each other and criticize everyone else. When I'm helping her, MIL acts very appreciative but will turn right around and defend SIL if I voice an opinion about SIL so I just keep my mouth shut while I'm with her and unload on hubby when we're alone. I am so thankful that in all of the important ways he is NOT like his parents.

I came from another state (actually felt like another planet) when we were married 28 years ago. We live on the family farm. SIL still treats me like an outsider even though I have lived on this farm longer than she ever did and raised my children and buried one here. She is one of those people who walks around with a chip on her shoulder the size of a log.

I grew up with parents who were simply the best and have 4 siblings. We all do whatever we can for Mom, and Dad when he was here. My dad was very ill several times for a couple of years before he died last year. Their pastor said he'd never seen a family like ours because of the way we all showed up almost instantly when Dad got sick. He said we must have been hiding under the bed when Dad was hospitalized because whenever there was a crisis we all showed up so quickly.

I don't know any other way to be so guess I will just keep doing what I do because it is the right thing to do. So, Dotsie,thanks for the positive reinforcement-it means a lot to me and helps me to keep doing what I do.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved