The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#12193 - 01/07/06 09:42 PM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I agree that taking away the car keys can be a dramatic experience for everyone involved. The neuo doc who diagnosed Daddy with dementia said that it was her responsibility to tell the family that he was no longer capable of driving, and then it was OUR responsibility to take the keys away. She was also obligated to report this fact to the License Department of Motor Vehicle in our state. It was a law.

It was a very hard thing to do, and we found that doing so gradually, with suggestions (i.e., Daddy, why don't you ride with me today to Church?) and filling in the gaps with being available to give Daddy lifts here and there, was a lifesaver for us all, and especially, Mom. He didn't like it and was almost hostile about it at first, but the dementia progressed so rapaidly, that it was a mute point before long.

Pat---I love your cartoons on your web page. I can't wait to see your products. Way to go girl! I've bookmarked it for later.

JJ

#12194 - 01/07/06 10:05 PM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Pat Jones Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Thanks, jawjaw. I've been to your site, too. Humor is a must, isn't it?

#12195 - 01/07/06 10:29 PM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh and especially when we are caregivers. Without it, we would just be....givers.

JJ

#12196 - 01/16/06 04:29 PM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Pat Jones Offline

Umm, do we have a thread about the woman/giving thing? That's a big one for me, and it's something I'm still working out for myself. What I'm working out is finding a balance between giving, in every way, to loved ones, and getting it back. Am I the only one? How do you retrain people to know that you now expect a better balance? This has been difficult, since I was raised to give, give, give, without expecting much in return. It's a subtle problem, but I think it's worth talking about.

#12197 - 01/17/06 08:54 AM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pat, as far as giving and receiving goes, I give without thinking about recieving in return. That way there are no disappointments. No expectations, no disappointments.

However, I think that if you are in a relationship, friendhsip, whichever, and you are always the giver, it's not much of a relationship. There needs to be some give and take.

Good topic because women are so often the givers.

#12198 - 01/17/06 08:56 AM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Not that I think of this often, but the thought of not being able to jump in my car and come and go as I please frightens me. My heart aches for the elderly who can no longer so the same. they are the same pwople on the inside. they just continue to have more of their lives taken away. Very sad.

I hope to live in a small town should that happen. Then hopefully I will be able to walk wherever I need to go.

#12199 - 01/17/06 04:08 AM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Pat Jones Offline

It's interesting that you mention moving to a small town, Dotsie. My small hometown is becoming populated more and more with elderly people, who move back after they retire.

I don't drive, anymore, and I live in a large city. Several of the grocery stores deliver, and I do most of my shopping on the internet now.

But I suppose that some of these people move back to enjoy the comfort of living where they grew up.

Your comments about giving helped me a lot. I had come to exactly the same conclusion - to give of myself nowadays because I get something out of it, without expecting anything in return. The change, for me, is that I've stopped giving when there is no give and take, and no pleasure in the giving. I guess it's just part of the beauty of middle age - more honesty. I would not trade middle age for anything. It's truly been the best time of my life, so far.

#12200 - 01/17/06 04:58 AM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
When I married David, my so called friends decided that all the effort and time he put into his well paid career should benefit them! Let's see...I'm trying to remember the amount of money I "loaned" to good friends. Right around 10,000! David says to not loan money but give it and not expect it back. I'm somewhat resentful. I'm a giving person and want to help others but one person paid me back with a bad check and never contacted me again. And, he was a minister. That really hurt.

I now give of my time and energy. Money is only fleeting anyway.

#12201 - 01/17/06 07:34 PM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, I've been given the same advice about "lending" money. Don't lend unless you can afford to give.

And I don't blame you for being resentful. Some people will take advantage of their best friend. With friends like that you don't need enemies.

I still feel sorry for people like that. They are the ones who are going through life feeling miserable. Don't you think?

#12202 - 01/18/06 02:12 AM Re: Taking Away the Car keys
Carol Bradley Bursack Offline

Loc: Fargo, ND
I write an elder care column and just had a driving question that ran last Sunday. A year ago, I found that AAA has a great interactive CD to help people test their driving skills. So I wrote on driving. Great response. So many people are affected.

This time, I found that our local hospital has a program where they do a physical and mental eval and then actually take them out to drive. They try to find an area that is close, in challeges, to the kind of driving the elder does. It's a great program, because it gives the elder and the caregiver something concrete to base their "drive or not drive" decision on.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved