The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#11939 - 06/03/05 03:14 PM Re: no more license to drive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Prill, I can't believe your mom has driven a stick all these years. What a riot. Most people at her age have their license removed. She has her stick shift taken away. No wonder you're such a go-getter. You must take after your mom. [Wink]

#11940 - 06/06/05 06:37 AM Re: no more license to drive
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Not only has my mom driven a stick all these years, but for the past 17 years or so, she's driven this cute, bright red Volkswagen GTI that "went like stink," as my dad used to say. (In other words, it had a souped-up engine.) The license plate said, "De Trop," which means "too fast" in French. Bear in mind that my mom is 4'11" and weighs just over 90 lbs.! [Big Grin]

#11941 - 07/06/06 05:59 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: Dannye]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I can relate to her feelings. I am only 58 years old and diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa. Two years ago I also had to give up driving. With blind spots, there are people driving from all directions and it would be easy to miss them when looking at other drivers. Being independent, I learned about our local senior center for transportation and the SMART connector bus. The disadvantages is their time frame. They are great for shopping, getting to day time events and such. However, if your mother has money to spare, she can call an in-home (non medical) services to drive, shop, and clean for her on the same day. This at least is a start to offset any free transportation from senior centers. The key is to check these options out. Please let me know what happens. eldercareconcierge@comcast.net
Do you rely on family to get around?
You may choose only one (2 total votes)
yes - 0 (0%)
no - 2 (100%)
Do you have any free or low cost transportation resources?
You may choose 2 (2 total votes)
senior centers/government agency - 2 (100%)
none - 0 (0%)
Tips for keeping a social life without depending on family!
You may choose 2 (2 total votes)
will reply to the forum - 2 (100%)
never throught of it - 0 (0%)

#11942 - 07/07/06 12:29 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

This was something I never thought about until my MIL could no longer drive. Unfortunately, she died shortly after that happened so she never really bacame dependent on public transportation, or our local senior ride. She mailnly depended on family.

This is soemthing that is changing tremendously and will continue to change as boomers mature because so many ofus won't have family in town. I have a friend who had launched a new eldercare business and is doing very well. She offers services for familes to keep loved ones in their home for as long a possible. She can arrange rides, health care, people to pay bills, food shop, etc. IT's very involved becasue she amily corresponds with the children who are living out fo state.

#11943 - 07/07/06 01:30 PM Re: no more license to drive
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I can see where that would be a great business, and much needed. I bet the legal side of it all was a daunting task, to say the least.

JJ

#11944 - 07/07/06 08:27 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
They do that alot here in Vegas and there are so many Seniors that are able to remain in their homes because of it. I think those elder minimum care places are nice to. They have their own apartments, can cook or eat really good meals in the dining room, they have pools, exercise rooms, and yet there is a medical staff always available in case of an emergency. It reminds me sort of like a 'grown up' college dormitory. I may end up in one someday once my pets are gone. If I don't go first that is???

Edited by chatty lady (07/07/06 08:28 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#11946 - 07/08/06 12:07 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, what a good daughter. Mind sharing what her illness is?

I've heard of parents of teens blocking thier kid's cars in the driveway. I guess what goes around, comes around.

#11948 - 07/13/06 07:40 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, the fact that she doesn't want to drive is a mixed blessing, huh? At least you don't have to take the keys away. That's not easy. I remember when my husband had to do that with his mom. It's one of the only times one has to put their foot down with their parents. Just another way we end up being their parents. I think it's sad.

#11950 - 07/23/06 07:46 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: Dannye]
Phyllis0618 Offline

I can understand her frustration. Family is very important but communicating with others her age is more important to her mental and emotional health. Are there any senior centers with transportation in her area? The one near me is terrific and their programs are super. Sometimes just volunteering to call homebound people can be her calling. Any other thoughts? Being homebound more than desired is very hard to get used to. I am still looking for my calling but taking baby steps first.

#11951 - 07/23/06 08:01 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: Misfire]
Phyllis0618 Offline

At only 58 years old, I can not longer drive. I was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa which creates blind spots and limited field of vision. After being independent and helping seniors for so long, the idea of homebound life just isn't in my book. Our senior center has great transportation within the city but the county bus line needs to be expanded to suit my needs. My calling is still unknown but I am taking baby steps to find it. Recently I finished a book on facing physical challenges which helps seniors and those who have lost loved ones (lifestyle challenges). Someone is doing a great job with a project to help those visually impaired with makeup and hair care. Maybe this is a calling for me? I am keeping in touch with her to see if my assistance would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved