The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 87 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#118959 - 06/22/07 02:55 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: Dianne]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yup, our tax dollars are wasted for things like that. So frustrating, but I guess that's our "system" and some people just know how to abuse it.

At least he didn't talk - you could have been there three times as long if he decided to cross examine everyone!

Kathy

#118960 - 06/22/07 08:08 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Crossstich,your report was interesting. Never have been on a jury and never will be...they don't have that in Germany.

#118961 - 06/22/07 10:29 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I don't think I'd be any good for jury duty. I'd probably analyse the crap out of a case and research it to death. Thanks for updating us.

#118962 - 06/23/07 12:07 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: chickadee]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hannalore - I'm curious -- how do they handle it in Germany when someone is accused of a crime?

#118963 - 06/23/07 01:52 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'd be trying to figure out a way to write an article about it....probably during the trial.

#118964 - 06/23/07 08:30 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Crossstitch, I was mistaken, they do have juries here. Only I'd never be called on because I'm an American. But there are differences. People volunteer here for jury duty. No one is just randomly picked out. These volunteers recieve their full missed salary. I don't know how that is in the US.
I think they only have juries for really complicated cases. Otherwise only the judge decides.

#118965 - 06/24/07 12:08 AM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: Edelweiss]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Don't know if this is always the case, but we got paid $40 per day, plus milage, tolls and parking. But you don't get it right away.......they mail it to you in 4 to 6 weeks.

There was an author on the jury. He told us during the time we were discussing and trying to reach our verdict that he had approached it in the same way he does when he figures a plot for one of his novels. At that point we didn't know why the defendant wasn't speaking up for himself or having his lawyer speak for him and the author came up with several good points during the discussion. (I looked for his book on Amazon.......it's called Dead Man's Hand and the author's last name was Goulding-- it's a murder mystery).

#118966 - 06/24/07 12:32 AM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chickadee Offline

Dead man's hand. I know that. It's Aces and Eights in Poker. The story is from the wild west. The origin of the name, legend has it, is the five-card-draw hand held by Wild Bill Hickok at the time of his murder (August 2, 1876), which is accepted to have included the aces and eights of both of the black suits.

Hey, I'll check out that book.

#118967 - 07/26/07 11:22 AM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: chickadee]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Thought I'd report in and tell y'all that the check arrived paying me for my jury duty days and I got more than I expected............but I'm not complaining!!!

#118968 - 07/27/07 03:28 PM Re: I'm sure you're right... [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Count on chhick for card trivia. You go girl!

Crossstitch, glad to hear your money arrived. How are you going to spend it?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved