The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11868 - 02/17/05 03:00 AM Re: Mother's Recovery
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Thanks so much for your prayers and support.

I spoke to her earlier today and she says that she still feels dizzy when she sits, lays down, or gets up. I told her that it would take time.

I just Thank God that she doesn't have the nausea anymore. That was preventing her from trying to get back to as normal as possible.

In spite of what she told me, she was in good spirits. That right there tells me that she is doing just fine.

Thanks for the extra care that you sisters have shown me.

Love and Blessings,
Cathi

#11869 - 02/17/05 08:01 AM Re: Mother's Recovery
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Cathi
If you have access to a blood pressure cuff, you might want to take your mother's blood pressure immediately after she sits up from lying down and when she stands from sitting. You will need to watch to see that she doesn't fall due to the dizziness.
If her blood pressure is very low when she changes position, you should call the doctor and ask for medication for orthostatic hypotension. It could have been a factor in her fall also.
It's xomething worth checking on. Her doctor should be following her rather closely for a while.
smile

#11870 - 02/17/05 09:52 PM Re: Mother's Recovery
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thanks Smile,

Both my mother and I have High Blood Pressure.

I am back home is VA Beach, but I know that she has a blood pressure cuff, as do I.

I will make a suggestion to my dad to try to monitor that for her.

Thanks so much Smile, I truly didn't think of that. When I was diagnosed myself, I went to the emergency room because for 4 months prior to that I saw stars everytime I would get up. So yes that would make sense.

Cheers and Blessings,
Cathi

#11871 - 02/18/05 09:13 AM Re: Mother's Recovery
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Cathi,
I think you're on the right track, but just to clarify, "high" blood pressure is NOT what you are looking for. It is a "LOW" blood pressure that occurs when she changes position. It is called orthostatic hypOtension which is LOW blood pressure that occurs upon sitting or standing. HypERtension is "high" blood pressure usually while reclining. Medication for HypERtension can sometimes lead to Orthostatic HypOtension.
Your mother's blood pressure could be high or normal when reclines or even after she has been sitting or standing for a while, but it could be plummeting when she sits after lying or stands after sitting. It happens when the venetian blind like valves in the legs do not work properly and the blood pools in the legs thus the overall blood pressure drops and the circulation to the brain declines causing dizziness and even loss of consiciousness.
Her blood pressure would need to be taken immediately upon sitting or standing and compared to a reclining blood pressure to see if she is expreiencing a drastic decline in blood pressure when she changes position.
If she is taking medication for "high" blood pressure, the dose might need to be adjusted.
It could be a million other things, but still worth checking.
smile

#11872 - 02/18/05 09:31 PM Re: Mother's Recovery
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Smile, you're so helpful. It's great having a nurse in the neighborhood! You have so many gifts!

#11873 - 02/18/05 11:29 PM Re: Mother's Recovery
Wisdom&Life Offline

Smile,

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. I will have to explain that further to my dad.

It certainly makes sense. Thanks

Love and Hugs,
Cathi

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved