The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 218 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1230 - 07/14/05 07:10 AM Re: Death... Now what?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thought I'd share this perspective:

"It is quite apparent to the seeing mind that a man's spirit is something very different from his physical body.

"The spirit is changeless, indestructible. The progress and development of the soul, the joy and sorrow of the soul, are independent of the physical body.

"If we are caused joy or pain by a friend, if a love prove true or false, it is the soul that is affected. If our dear ones are far from us--it is the soul that grieves, and the grief or trouble of the soul may react on the body.

"Thus, when the spirit is fed with holy virtues, then is the body joyous; if the soul falls into sin, the body is in torment!

"When we find truth, constancy, fidelity, and love, we are happy; but if we meet with lying, faithlessness, and deceit, we are miserable.

"These are all things pertaining to the soul, and are not bodily ills. Thus, it is apparent that the soul, even as the body, has its own individuality. But if the body undergoes a change, the spirit need not be touched. When you break a glass on which the sun shines, the glass is broken, but the sun still shines! If a cage containing a bird is destroyed, the bird is unharmed! If a lamp is broken, the flame can still burn bright!

"The same thing applies to the spirit of man. Though death destroy his body, it has no power over his spirit--this is eternal, everlasting, both birthless and deathless.

"As to the soul of man after death, it remains in the degree of purity to which it has evolved during life in the physical body, and after it is freed from the body it remains plunged in the ocean of God's Mercy.

"From the moment the soul leaves the body and arrives in the Heavenly World, its evolution is spiritual, and that evolution is: The approaching unto God."

--from Baha'i writings

#1231 - 07/14/05 08:17 AM Re: Death... Now what?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Soul and spirit are used interchangeably, but are not exactly the same. Here's a definition of "Soul."

SOUL The spiritual, rational, and immortal part in man; that part of man which enables him to think, and which renders him a subject of moral government; -- sometimes, in distinction from the higher nature, or spirit, of man, the so-called animal soul, that is, the seat of life, the sensitive affections and phantasy, exclusive of the voluntary and rational powers; -- sometimes, in distinction from the mind, the moral and emotional part of man's nature, the seat of feeling, in distinction from intellect; -- sometimes, the intellect only; the understanding; the seat of knowledge, as distinguished from feeling. In a more general sense, "an animating, separable, surviving entity, the vehicle of individual personal existence." Tylor. "The eyes of our souls only then begin to see, when our bodily eyes are closing."
Energy; courage; spirit; fervor; affection, or any other noble manifestation of the heart or moral nature; inherent power or goodness.
A human being; a person; -- a familiar appellation, usually with a qualifying epithet; as, poor soul.
A pure or disembodied spirit.

#1232 - 07/14/05 08:23 AM Re: Death... Now what?
smilinize Offline

Here's a definition of Spirit.

The vital principle or animating force within living beings. Incorporeal consciousness. Considered as departing from the body of a person at death. Spirit The Holy Spirit. A supernatural being, as: An angel or a demon.
A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
A fairy or sprite.
The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: "Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit." The essential nature of a person or group. A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.
An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: "Her actions show a generous spirit." A causative, activating, or essential principle: A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: "sang with spirit." Strong loyalty or dedication: "team spirit." The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: "The spirit of 1776"
The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law. An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
spirits An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

In the original language of the Bible, the word for 'spirit, breath, and life are the same.

#1233 - 07/14/05 05:49 PM Re: Death... Now what?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Smilinize said:
quote:
[/B] ]Because of that love, expression of all faiths is encouraged and all opinions are respected. Because we are accepted for what we are and where we are we learn from one another.
Religious faith is more about the heart than the mind. I shared the Baha'i quote about life after death because it was a perspective that I didn't see in the preceding 4 pages and felt that it contributed to the discussion.

I don't think that dictionary definitions help in religious discussions.

#1234 - 07/14/05 06:08 PM Re: Death... Now what?
smilinize Offline

I'm sorry the definitions were not helpful.

There seemed to be a lot of discussion of both the soul and the spirit and it seemed that the definitions might help clarify the differences.

The definitions were for all and no one in particular. They can be deleted if they are problematic.

smile

#1235 - 07/14/05 06:44 PM Re: Death... Now what?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Smile, thanks for the definition.

quote:
Originally posted by Songbird:
If any of you is interested, I found this site, which has a more detailed explanation on the subject:
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/study_guides.asp

Click on the lesson "Are the dead really dead?"

I found this study guide helpful too.

#1236 - 07/17/05 07:03 AM Re: Death... Now what?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I wonder... How does your perception of what happens when we die affect your everyday life?

#1237 - 07/17/05 11:13 PM Re: Death... Now what?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, I found the definitions most helpful. I've never seen the two back to back. I've printed them and will study with more intention tomorrow morning during my Bible Study time.

DJ, I also printed your reply to do the same.

Sometimes the information shared in these forums are too much for me to grasp quickly. I need time to mull them over and consider what to keep as my own.

Song, great question. knowing there is great sweet bliss in the afterlife gives me hope and erases my fear of death.

Because my beliefs about the afterlife are rooted in my faith, I do my best to live a joyful life in relationship with Jesus Christ and humankind. I may have been living a similar life prior to my current beliefs, but my intentions had no roots other than to be a "good person". Now my intentions are grounded in Christ.

[ July 17, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#1238 - 07/18/05 02:44 AM Re: Death... Now what?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
No matter how I try or what I am now being taught, I still have over 18 years of the Catholic church's teachings ingrained in my head and heart. I still believe there may be a heaven and hell and decided long ago to not take any chances, just in case there are so try to live a good, productive and caring life...I hurt no one intentionally. My one big fault is my temper and having a strong verbal arsenal to draw from... [Eek!] Keeping still and not striking back takes all the control I can muster at times.

[ July 17, 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#1239 - 07/18/05 09:52 AM Re: Death... Now what?
smilinize Offline

On my way to Mom's I was listening to Christian radio and the announcer used an illustration that resonnated with me.

He compared Salvation to the pardons issued by Pres. Clinton just before he left office. The pardons were questioned as bribes because some of the pardoned apparently offered monetary and other payment to Mr. Clinton. If he accepted, or it was offered to influence the pardon, then they were not pardons at all, but bribes.

Pardons are offered pro bono (something for nothing) with no expectations of anything in return whereas bribes are "quid pro quo," (something for something)

Salvation, like a pardon, is pro bono, something for nothing. If you offer God something in return it turns His free gift of salvation into a bribe and God is insulted.

He wants to GIVE us salvation for free, but I believe the gift of Love is so great that our desires change. We Want to follow Him. We want to keep his command and to love others as ourselves.

So we are free to do good things out of love for Him, but not required to as in payment for His Love (Salvation). There is nothing we can to do repay God for His Son or His Love.

I hope that's not too "religious." It just came to mind.
smile

[ July 18, 2005, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved