The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#11678 - 08/05/04 07:39 AM Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi Ladies,

So many of us have parents that are not well, depressed or have lost their faith. Would you share with me any suggestions you have on how to bring a parent out of a depression and lead them back to Christ?

I feel that my parents are shutting down due to depression and loss of faith.

Anything advice you could offer, I would appreciate, greatly.

#11679 - 08/04/04 10:57 PM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This is a tough one Toni but possibly you can be instrumental in bringing hope and faith back to their lives. Does your church offer support small groups? If so sign them up, take them out weekly to do things, even to the park for a picnic. It doesn't have to be anytnhing edxpensive and personally I would cart them to services each week, no excuses, they're just going. It sounds like they are bored and have decided to wait to die. Its up to you and your sibblings to keep them busy and interested in living if at all possible. I wish you good luck, get help from the church if you can. Find something for them to do to feel useful...

#11680 - 08/04/04 11:51 PM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
Toni Offline

Chatty,

Thank you for those great ideas. I just wish I lived closer to them. Roy and I live several hundred miles away and are able to see them only a couple of times a year. I have siblings that live close but they seldom visit.

They like getting letters and phone calls and I send them little gifts, often. I do think I'll mention to them about getting involved in some church activities or something 'social' where they can meet others.

Thank you so much. I'll see what I can do..

#11681 - 08/05/04 01:06 AM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Toni,
If your parents are not the type to go to church, or if they are reluctant to go where they might not know anyone, there could be a senior center where they could socialize. Those centers are federally funded so they are in almost every area. Sometimes they have booklets that list services available to seniors in the area.
You might be able to track them down and get one of the booklets mailed to your parents so they could see some of the options available to them.
smile

#11682 - 08/05/04 03:43 AM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Toni:
The sense of needlessness may cause depression and lack of interest in life itself.

Usually, helping others in "greater need than ours" helps get out of depression.

Tending to pets sometimes helps.
Are there grandchildren around that can spark some interest in their lives?

If your parents don't want to go to church and make the first move to get involved in it... do they have friends that can invite and minister to them while they get back on track? It's a lot easier to accept an invitation to church when someone close invites you or takes you to it.

If no friend is available or around... consider calling a local church and arrange for a visit from some caring folks in the congregation or the pastor himself. Making friends is vital!

What about a vacation? Getting out of the daily routine and enjoying fresh air does help!

Have you communicated your concerns to your siblings? Maybe they can get more involved in your parents well-being!

Some questions to consider:
-Is there a specific reason why your parents seem to be loosing the faith?-A caring and concerned minister can address those issues, given the right opportunity.

-Are there any health issues contributing to the overall picture?

Parents need to feel loved, needed and appreciated. They need to be involved in some kind of activity that provides a sense of belonging and makes their lives purposeful.

Faith is instrumental in their overall well-being.

I will include your parents in my prayer list.

Hope these thoughts help in some way.

#11683 - 08/05/04 03:02 PM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
Toni Offline

Songbird,

Thank you so much for your wonderful and caring suggestions.

My parents over the years have secluded themselves, for reasons I'm not sure of. They have always been somewhat distant and have had their share of problems and worries. Two of my siblings have caused problems and over time have worn my parents down.

They attend church sporadically but I think the worries of this world, health problems, and knowing that the end of their lives is at hand, has put them into depression.

I write them often and I'll see what I can do to motivate and uplift them. Presently, they are reliving the '40's and WWII. May Dad is really into that and so is mom. That is when they were young and saving the world from Hitler. Dad was in the Air Force and did some great things then..very brave and mom did her part, also.

Maybe I need to remind them of the good that they've done and that there is still more of life to see and do...(Perhaps they need to be reminded that there is a purpose for every life and that God will provide for their needs, according to His riches?)

Thank you so much for your help and ideas. You've got me going....

#11684 - 08/05/04 05:27 PM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Sometimes depression and being alone becomes comfortable to the point that anything invading that part of their lives becomes the enemy...even their children or friends.

I would also suggest finding places for them to visit that also INVOLVED WWI or that era...there are places with museums and such that offer even more relics of the past and they can relive those times in a fresh environment.

I think a pet is an excellent idea because it fosters love....do they have pets?

Keeping them in my prayers as well, AND I wish they lived near me, I'd go see them for you!

JJ

#11685 - 08/06/04 07:23 AM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Toni,
I can empathize with you. I think our inlaws.
may have this problem too.
My father was in the Air Force and loved looking at his scrapbooks, slides just before he passed away.
I like JJ's ideas of visiting museums.
Another idea is to get one of their relatives or friends to write down the memories of this time in their lives.
Maggie

#11686 - 08/06/04 07:35 AM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My father in law has been a little depressed recently. He mentioned something about his army life at a family gathering and I began to quiz him about it. He seemed so excited that I would be interested and he became very animated. Pretty soon the whole family got involved. I took notes for a family history that I had not previously even considered and his great granddaughter grabbed a video camera to record the whole thing.
It was fun for him and for me too.
Maybe your inlaws could find a WWI group through the veterans administration or something nearby.
smile

#11687 - 08/06/04 01:43 AM Re: Father and Mother depressed, any suggestions?
Toni Offline

JJ, Maggie, Smile,

Thank you so much for your kind ideas and suggestions. I believe my folks have lost the zest to live and feel their time has come to an end. They need to get involved and your ideas of writing down what they did, what they remember from the past, visiting with people-especially friends and family and other ideas--are great and I will see if I can implement some of them.

Roy and I send them magazines and books that focus on World War II and events related to that time period. It does seem to be helping.

JJ made a good point that some people like my parents get used to being alone and that's the way they want it. They don't want anyone to disrupt their routine.

While at college a few years ago, I read a section about seniors. It said that some seniors get to a point where they begin to shut down--and they do this to protect themselves. They don't want to 'feel' any deep emotions anymore. Sad way to end one's life but it is a choice some make.

Thank you again for your comforting words and I will see what I can do.

God Bless

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved