The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#11576 - 03/10/04 03:25 AM Re: My Dad....
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I love cemeteries and feel very comfortable there. I would visit his more frequently but it is about an hour away so I don't as often as I would like.

The first year is hard because it is a year of firsts. My Dad died one year to the day after my sister's husband. Fortunatley her kids were not that tuned in to the date.

Each holiday was tough. He was a veteran so I cried right through the memorial day parade. Usually it is only a few tears but this year got pretty messy.

The Christams before my Dad died, we had a bad snowstorm and traveling was rocky. My husband John insisted we would pick up my parents and travel to my sisters. Normally and 1 1/2 trip. That day it took over three hours. But thank God John did not give in. He inssisted my parents would spend the holiday with their family.

This past Christams, I picked up my Mom and John stayed home because of chemo sickness. My Mom and I had the same thoughts....what a year could bring....and who would have thought it?

We went ot his grave on all the normal days. and my Mom went on their anniversary and to place a Christmas wreath by herself. I sent her an anniversary card that said "I remember him too". And we talked about how she can still celebrate the day she was married etc.

The day of his death was difficult and the day of his funeral. Or I should say anniversary. But I know he is in a good place and he is with us whenever he wants so I am grateful. Admittedly, this past year has been a bit bizarre.

My family has this weird superstition that whoever buys the headstone is the next to go. My grandmother never bought a headstone for her husband who died before her by 40 years. She lived to 102. When my grandmother died, my uncle bought the headstone and he died 6 months later.

When my father in law died, I begged my husband not to buy the headstone. he said his brother signed the papers but John wrote the check. Then he was having cancer surgery 6 months after my Dad died. All pretty weird. I should just get over it but it hangs on.

Anyway, I celebrate his life every chance I get. My Mom tries to do the same even though she is expereinceing everything on a different level. God Bless her.

Lynn

#11577 - 03/10/04 04:48 AM Re: My Dad....
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lynn, sounds like you are still mourning your Dad. That's so hard.

My Dad died a couple of years ago and I'm at peace with it. We were very close and I miss him tremendously, but when I think of him I don't cry. I smile. Lots of times I laugh. He was such a fun guy and we laughed so much together.

He was hilarious and such a con. He would insist every Christmas was his last. We would drive through blizzards and fly from all over the country enduring no end of difficulty just to get home for "Daddy's last Christmas."

Despite excellent health, he played that con for about twenty years. It was the family joke. And once he got us all there, he would wax eloquent about his "Decent burial" We didn't ever want to lose him so we would cover our ears and try not to discuss it, but he loved to talk about caskets and funerals and his death which he always swore was iminent. It was hilarious.

His funeral turned out to be more like a "roast." His death was unexpected and though spiritual, he was not a church goer so Mom was planning just a short service. I was still in shock, but I knew Daddy would want more. So we had a wonderful memorial to his life. My cousin told all the funny stories we could think of and everyone laughed as much as they cried. It was so wonderfully healing.

Someone said, he would have loved it if he had been there and someone else added, "He was here."

And he was. Even now it makes me smile. Gee, how I would love to hear him laugh one more time. But also I'm grateful for the times I survived all those blizzards, and was able to hear him carry on about that darned funeral and even more the times I heard him laugh at us for being grossed out.

smile

[ March 09, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#11578 - 03/16/04 07:28 PM Re: My Dad....
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, my mom died on St. Patrick's Day and we are Irish. Her mom died on Valentine's day and her sister on the Fourth Do July.

It wasn't until yesterday when I was sharing this story with a friend and she said, "Oh GOd, dont' you worry about Christmas, and all the other holidays"? I never even thought about that. Perhaps if someone in the family was sick near a holiday I might wonder if that's when they would ide, but All things happen for a reason.

For many days before Mom died hospice would show up and just couldn't believe she was still alive! When she died on St. Patrick's Day we realized what God was up to. Now we celebrate the day like never before! It made it so much more special for us!

I love the idea of sending the note to your mom. I'm going to write one for my dad for tomorrow. Thanks!

Sounds like your husband is a winner. He seems so very thoughtful!

As far as the superstition goes, I don't believe God works that way, but it does seem odd doesn't it?

I'm happy to hear the first year is behind you. It makes a difference. Time does tend to heal!

I continue to pray for your hubby.

Smile, sounds like your dad was such a character. I think the roast idea is a good one. It lightens things up a bit.

#11579 - 03/16/04 11:41 PM Re: My Dad....
smilinize Offline

Dotsie,
Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. We will all pray that it is a day of healing for you. I certainly didn't know your mother, but I am a mother so I believe the best way you could commemorate her death would be by doing something joyful.

May this be your very best St. Patrick's Day and may you enjoy every moment in memory of your mother.

smile

#11580 - 03/16/04 11:57 PM Re: My Dad....
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Lynn, I am so sorry for your pain and sorrow. Watching someone we love suffer is worse than suffering ourselves, I think. My husband died at an early age, a terrible waste and my dad died several years ago, heart stopped. I am so fortunate though to have my mom who's going to be 84 in April and still works a full time job. Go figure.....If extra prayers help and they do, count on mine...Bless you and its not whining, its venting. Vent away!!

#11581 - 03/20/04 05:20 AM Re: My Dad....
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, St. Patty's Day went well. We had four generations here to celebrate. At one point I became very sad thinking Mom wasn't here to see her great grandchild. I know she was here in spirit, but it's just not the same. Thanks for the prayers. Every year it gets a little easier [Wink]

#11582 - 03/23/04 02:59 AM Re: My Dad....
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Micki and Lynn I am thinking of you both. Dealing with death be it your parents, husbands or friends is never easy. My 21 year old son was home from college this weekend to attend the funeral of a high school friend. She was in Cancun for her spring break, stepped off a bus and was hit by a hit and run driver. So, hug your children often, you never know when it will be the last. I try and end all my emails and IM's with "hugs and kisses, love MOM xxoo". I hugged my son many times this weekend. As to ailing parents, I have 2. They are both in the process of being diagnosed with alzheimers. It is very difficult as they live in DC and I in Baltimore, so on a good day it is an hour, but often much more. It is hard when my mom calls with an emergency. I haven't yet had to go through their dying, but this stage is hard, and sometimes I think prolonging life may not be the best. I remember my Dad saying that he didn't want to end up like his father, in a nursing home not knowing anyone for 3 years. I see that happening now, and wish that we hadn't done emergency dialysis and had him 3x week now to keep him alive. Two years ago he was mentally alert and happy with life. Now, he seems bored and never happy. It is so sad....I pray each night that God is lenient and takes both of them quickly to make their life and mine better. This is not good for any of us. Their life now is not good. Mom cries constantly. So, please keep them in your prayers also, guess all our aging parents.

#11583 - 03/23/04 03:12 AM Re: My Dad....
smilinize Offline

Dotsie, I missed your post about st. pat's day previously. I'm so glad it went well for you. I know it will always have meaning, but hopefully each year will get easier.

Swimbo, all that sounds so difficult. How sad to watch those you love deteriorate. Somehow I guess we have to accept those things and find the blessings in them.
I lost my Dad two years ago and I still miss him, but I am at peace with it. Thankfully he never lost his mental capacity and was not ill for very long.
A friend once told me that we spend the first half of our lives gahering things and people to us then we spend the last half of our lives giving those things away and losing the friends and relatives who have been gathered to us.
I guess that's another developmental task for this age. Losing those we love eiher to illness or relocation or to death.
Middle age ain't for wimps!!
smile

#11584 - 03/23/04 07:00 PM Re: My Dad....
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
A friend once told me that we spend the first half of our lives gahering things and people to us then we spend the last half of our lives giving those things away and losing the friends and relatives who have been gathered to us.
I guess that's another developmental task for this age. Losing those we love eiher to illness or relocation or to death.
Middle age ain't for wimps!!

Smile, if middle age isn't for wimps, I hate to think about old age. Yikes!

It breaks my heart to see my dad's generation losing friends on a regular basis. That's why we have to stay focused on poitive things, continue to make new friends, and have faith that God is for us!

#11585 - 03/23/04 07:03 PM Re: My Dad....
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by swimbo56:
My 21 year old son was home from college this weekend to attend the funeral of a high school friend. She was in Cancun for her spring break, stepped off a bus and was hit by a hit and run driver. So, hug your children often, It is so sad....I pray each night that God is lenient and takes both of them quickly to make their life and mine better. This is not good for any of us. Their life now is not good. Mom cries constantly. So, please keep them in your prayers also, guess all our aging parents.

Swimbo, Sorry to hear anout your son's friend. We have to remember every day is a gift, but when something like that happens it smacks us in the face. I'll keep hugging my kids!

I like your prayer for your parents. It's hard to watch the ones we love suffer.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved