The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#111476 - 03/27/07 08:36 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: DJ]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:

would you say that a secular point of view is the predominant one?

Hi DJ: Would you mean secular as in one religion is not favoured over another? If taken in that context, then I'd have to say that the programmes are predominantly Christian because the UK is that. However, I would like to think that all other non-Christian faiths and even non-faith groups are not excluded from any productions. There was a recent show which was more of the "reality" concept where participants took to discover spirituality within the Islamic faith. There was also a year or so ago, a "fly-in-the-wall" on the Jewish faith and the lifestyles as lived within it. Religious "chat" shows here, more often than not, would always have a cross-section of the major faith groups. Does that help?

#111477 - 03/28/07 04:02 AM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Lola]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
DJ, Farscape aired for several years on the Sci-Fi Channel. We don't have cable, so I've seen it the past few years when it got picked up by commercial independent channels 11 KTTV & 13 KCOP.

Star Trek was definitely a forerunner in this genre, but Sci-fi literature existed for decades before that, with both Utopian and Dystopian societies being recurring themes. In written or visual media, sci-fi takes more chances on ideology because that is who reads it and that's who watches it. Sitcoms are usually not written for people who want to think about larger issues, at least not at that moment.

Poet and essayist

#111478 - 03/28/07 04:14 AM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Basically, mainstream media reflects mainstream ideas, as seen through the filter of the economic class who can afford to put it on film or TV. You don't get a lot of ideological diversity because the producers of these films/TV shows are trying to make money by attracting the highest paying sponsors -- which is determined by a show's ratings, which are generated by appealing to the largest number of viewers, i.e., the lowest common denominator.

But you already knew that.

Poet and essayist

#111479 - 06/05/07 05:15 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: meredithbead]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Meredith -- you wrapped it up so succintly with that post. Because of the role of gatekeepers, most of the discussion (like perhaps the Wiccan example on Boston Legal) frames the "other" versus the mainstream.

I didn't watch "Touched by an Angel," but read the episode synposes and am struck at how materialistic even the angels are -- accepting a Cadillac? drinking coffee? bearing grudges?

Still, I'm back looking for more. My deadline is Sunday and You've all given me great stuff to consider -- I'm still wondering if anyone has thought of any more examples?

#111480 - 06/08/07 07:50 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: DJ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I always found it strange that Carmella Soprano knows what her husband does for a living but still tries to find some kind of spirituality in the Catholic church, especially when one of the mob has been shot and in the hospital.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#111481 - 06/08/07 09:17 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Dianne]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I just caught this post or I would have responded earlier.

Anyone remember Archie Bunker? Diversity was the theme: Blacks, Jews, Catholics, Orientals, anything and anybody Archie was threatened by while being funny and teaching family and world values. Almost everybody loved it and nobody got hurt. It had high ratings and ran for years.

When the three majors networks were making movies for television and mini-series about 20 years ago, they tried to make quality shows with redeeming values and often failed. Hey, it's television. Sex and violence sell (always have) and it's a ratings game.

Little House on the Prairie and Touched by an Angel showed some redeeming values from one perspective. Desperate Housewives has some redeeming values in family matters. I recently watched a TV movie starring Debra Messing (sp?) and I can't remember the name of it. It's Sex and the City meets the First Wives Club (in Hollywood). Nothing new but they're talking series. Redeeming values? I think not.

I don't have HBO so I got The Sopranos DVDs from the library. Love, sex, violence, family values, health, education, loyalty, trust, distrust, vengeance, religion and questioning religion - they hit it all. Just like real life. Carmella knows what Tony does, but like a lot of people who know what their spouses do for a living, it's the world they live in and they learn to live in it and accept it. Denial is a great game. Carmela asks good questions about her religion and says she's just trying to understand. Lots of pepole are like that. The priest she confides in isn't always of high moral fiber. Not everyone is.

People say the movie The Godfather is all about life. I think The Sopranos took that movie and made it a series. People loved the show and so did the sponsors. High ratings and ran for 10 years.

We want to escape from reality when we watch movies and television. We also want to believe they reflect some of what we're dealing with in our lives. They do.

You'll have to go the PBS and specials to get the ethnic and religious diversity you may be looking for because just like Tony Soprano, it's all about the business and the money.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#111482 - 06/10/07 12:33 AM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
DJ, please let us know the outcome.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#111483 - 06/11/07 02:56 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Saundra]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks Saundra for your input. I submitted the paper yesterday. We'll see what happens. Someitmes when it goes to publisher, someone gets bounced. My thesis is that US TV shows little to know diversity of belief. As you point out, programs are primarily created to support the financial interests of corporate media owners. No one much wants to rock that boat by being daring, edgy, different, appealing to minorities, etc. Even a social satire like Southpark supports dominant values and beliefs. Anyway, it's a complex topic. Thanks for helping!

#111484 - 06/11/07 03:00 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: DJ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
As stated DJ, please let us know the outcome. After talking with you in Dots kitchen that day, I totally "get it" now. You are so right, it is a very complex topic but I was enthralled by it all. I would love to sit in one of your classes.

#111485 - 06/12/07 05:16 AM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hope you do well DJ.

I know that Seinfeld and "Friends", were blockbuster popular series...but neither ever resonated much for me...not enough that I would watch each show regularily.

"Friends" actually irritated me. It was so "white" to me. And did not reflect the reality of our generation and younger, particularily those living in big cities, having 1-2 good friends who were non-white, and just....leading ordinary lives with ordinary, funny incidents.

You can tell me about the Latino guy in "The 70's" show, but they make him out to be a stereotyped Latino guy, kind of stupid/non-intellectual, horny, etc.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved