The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#110849 - 03/14/07 07:00 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status questions,xx [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
[quote I was stunned to learn in the U.K., maybe an old company that for professional woman, they might be still addressed as Mr. in a letter. Jeez.... old, old thinking and practices.

That's quite right, Orchid. I am addressed as Esq (Esquire) in correspondence but only at first instance. Further correspondence reverts in the form I wish to be addressed i.e. first name basis or titular, depending on familiarity with my counterpart. The protocol in the legal profession usually address correspondence in the masculine form in the same way countries are referred to in the feminine form because of the personality they are given. There is nothing, however, that would restrict one from using "Sir/Madam" salutations should one choose to deviate. It is just not the common practice within the legal profession. I have still to come across any form of complaints from any of my counterparts at other law firms when it is presumed they are men. Perhaps, it is because further correspondence and the accompanying conduct allow for the women in my profession to rectify that presumption. I have, on a few occasions, addressed a Vivien, Leslie, Marion and a Jocelyn, as a "Madam", only to discover that I should have referred to a "Sir".

#110850 - 03/14/07 04:54 PM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status questions,xx [Re: Lola]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
This post is an eye opener. Our Russian sisters have a long way to go to catch up. Is there anything we can do? Are they(women) doing anything that you know of to make change, MrsM? I think you are right, it is happening elswhere.

chick

#110851 - 03/15/07 03:39 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

You should read the newspaper adds in Germany...same thing...they state whether they want a male, female or both...the put in the age range and sometimes if the person should be married or single. The women here totally accept that …. Strange.

What would be the rationale to know about a woman's marital status in Germany?

And then there are employers internationally who ask for a face photo with resume.

Russian mafia operation much more widespread than believed.
Yes, throwing off the Communist shackles leads the herds to extremes of decadence and really corrupt practices. LIke taste of freedom they don't how to manage it properly and justly for the whole of society. Encompasses prostitution.

Edited by orchid (03/15/07 03:49 AM)

#110852 - 03/15/07 05:08 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: orchid]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
For women, I think the rationale for asking marital status is to discover whether or not the lady in question will likely be taking [expensive] long term maternity leave. I have heard here that one reason employers favor young single women is that they are certainly less likely to become pregnant and disappear from work.

As for the photo thing, it would seem self explanatory. Nobody wants to employ fat dirty ugly people. Every company wants attractive employees. I think it's not different in America except that you just can't demand photos with an application. You have to wait and waste valuable company time with personal interviews before you can discover whether or not the applicant is a dog.

Come on, we all know that looks count in this world. Brutal yes, but true.

#110853 - 03/15/07 02:42 PM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: mrs_madness]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Do you think looks overcome experience/education when a company is looking for an employee? Sad, brutal world sometimes. Fat, dirty, ugly people? Wow, that's a lot to have against one when job hunting. Fat and ugly sometimes can't be helped but dirty can wash up.

chick

#110854 - 03/16/07 06:34 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: chickadee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
If the job is client-facing/client-oriented ....in order to drum up revenue for company, yes, looks might be influential in final hiring selection.

Well, come ON.....if you have 2 women equally qualified by education, same work experience and time spent, both good intelligent people with good personal characteristics, who is going to be remembered?

OTherwise that far less attractive woman must have a dynamic /charasmatic personality. It boils down for the hiring manager/managment team, who do you feel most comfortable to share coffee with and who will stick with the firm for awhile to make employee training investment pay off?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved