The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 209 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#110716 - 03/10/07 01:57 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
backhand, I am also a Presbyterian. I was raised Catholic and switched in the early 80s. One thing I'm doing for Lent is attending our Friday mid-day services. I've been to two thus far and hope to atten the last couple. It's a very intimate service with few attending. The messages are about getting to know Christ. There is lovely organ and/or piano music, handbells and soloists. It's short, sweet and very powerful.

I've been taking my journal. Yesterday I wrote several poems about Jesus and my relationship. I love worshipping in such a peaceful, majestic place.

Celtic, thanks for starting this post.

Do any of you have the habit of giving things up for Lent? We did that as kids. We gave up soda, chocolate, and other things like that. Yesterday, the minister talked about us giving ourseves up instead of things. He asked how we could sacrifice ourselves for the good of others. He then related that Jesus of course, sacrificed himself for us. I love all the connections.

#110717 - 03/10/07 06:35 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: Lola]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Lola, I'm not Catholic, but doesn't that mean the same thing as, I can't think of the word for it, but where the communion wafer actually becomes the physical body of Christ?

#110718 - 03/10/07 06:38 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: NewLeaf]
NewLeaf Offline

Dotsie, I agree that quiet reflection and connection just between you and Christ can be the most powerful and moving experiences of our whole lives.

That's one thing I never knew was possible until much older, that I could have Christ as my best friend, most intimate relationship of my life, and could confide anything to Him because He knows it already anyway and loves me anyway.

#110719 - 03/10/07 07:27 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: NewLeaf]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
The institution of the Holy Eucharist is what makes Holy Thursday different from any other nights, LOLAS QUOTE

I thought their was something else as well going on on that night, thats why i thought you had put it as a question LOLA

Thats when the first "take off this and eat it for etc"....was started and remaines untill this day with catholics (first Eucharist Feast)

NEWLEAF the litrial interpritasion that the wine and unleven bread becomes the bodie and blood of christ, so yes your right...So when you take comminion its litriallie thought of as the bodie and blood of...hence why confesion is so important so that your free of sin and fit to take the Eucharist (comminion wafier)via communion. After mass the prist has to eat what has been left over (as i heard) as it has become sacred.

i started doing somethig this lent dotsie, the gratitude thread helped me rember to brush up on that...Some other wee things but their a bit more of a personal nature so not reallie for the boareds.

QUESTION..the protestents faiths that take communion do they also belive it is the bodie and blood? Or what is their take on it...

backhandgrip: Death Easter Sermon, it sounds like something you don't look forwared too...happie hunting for the right minister this year...

celtic

#110720 - 03/10/07 11:14 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: celtic_flame]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Newleaf: Catholics believe in a corporeal, substantial presence of Christ in the Eucharist. It is not just a spiritual presence or "real presence". The whole Christ is present: body, blood, soul, and divinity. It is the Doctrine of Transubstantiation.

#110721 - 03/11/07 03:51 AM Re: EASTER.. [Re: Lola]
NewLeaf Offline

Yes, Thank you Lola! I couldn't think of the name, Transubstantiation.

Celtic, protestants don't believe that the wafer becomes the actual body or being of Christ. We partake of the communion as a sacred remembrance of the sacrifice Christ made for us. It is a most Holy Communion and not to be taken lightly-at all! I always ask for forgiveness of any unclean thing in my life and in reverent thankfulness take the wine and bread.

#110722 - 03/11/07 04:05 AM Re: EASTER.. [Re: NewLeaf]
NewLeaf Offline

Oh, and protestants believe in the symbolic bread=body, wine or grape juice=blood, and that Christ wouldn't ask us to sin and to us to eat the flesh and drink the blood of another is cannabilism.

Just a difference in looking at a tradition. But it doesn't matter how you look at it or interpret it, its still the most Holy Communion and Sacred to all Christian faiths.

#110723 - 03/11/07 08:35 AM Re: EASTER.. [Re: NewLeaf]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
We go to church and the rest of the day is spent with our
family and relatives. I usually make the Easter baskets
and goodies for all the grandkids : )

cindy

#110724 - 03/11/07 01:36 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: diamond50]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I haven't done Easter baskets for years now. I finally decided my kids were too old for that. My daughter still colors eggs, a ritual I always hated when my kids were little because of the mess it made. We were out yesterday and I was looking at baskets and thinking of making them for the grandchildren, but I think they are too young still. My daughter asked what I would put in Katie's basket? Since I didn't have a clue and the other two are 8 monhts and 20 months, I scrapped that idea. Two of them are too small for eggs or chocolate bunnies and none of them need another stuffed toy.

But, we will be going to my daughter's for Easter dinner.

Dotsie, I used to give things up or Lent, but stopped doing that a long time ago.

I work in a Jewish nursing home. We have all faiths though and a lot of non-Jewish residents now. They have services for both and every year they do a Seder that family members attend.

#110725 - 03/11/07 04:07 PM Re: EASTER.. [Re: Louisa]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Transubstantiation, as lola named and explaine a lot more fullie than i did.....NL QUOTE that Christ wouldn't ask us to sin and to us to eat the flesh and drink the blood of another is cannabilism.END QUOTE.

cannabilism...i have certinly never though of it as canibilisum or interprited communion in that way. Within this faith (catholosisum)it's ment to of been a direct action based on what christ said and did at that last supper, thats why is done and he asked that it be done that spacific way...in his memorie...

I would agree with you (NL) that religions intrprite tradisions from the original "last supper" in a varieity of ways or some litrialy and some not as litrialiy. One of the many variences between the christion religions. Perhapps this helps people decide for themselfs what strand of christianity they want to follow...

within catholisisum easter is the most important time for taking communion and attending a mass. It used to be that if you didn't attend at that time then you could be ex-communicated from the religion.....i am unsure weather it is still so in this day and age.....LOLAs more than liklie know the answere to this.

QUESTION arn't their some protestant religions that don't take or offer communion at all, some I know off that do it mounthly and not weekly as in catholisium (or at every mass)....maybee i was ther on the "Not doing" weeks.

LOUISA....what do you put in the baskets why they so messie? Is their a tradisonal way you do the baskets as i never had one , that i rember....

having food with mates a great way to celibrate easter, or most anything for that matter.

celtic

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved