The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 20 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#109198 - 03/16/07 03:44 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hi all,
I am not offended. I really expected the reactions and I hold the space for everyone to be right for themselves. Although it's true that the statement "take what you like and leave the rest" has to do with my belief statements and not the Bible's. That might have been a bit confusing! :-))

Gimster, stay here with us. It's a good topic and one that needs to see the light of day more often so we learn how to talk about religion (and politics) in a respectful way.

Based on biblical criticism (the study of the Bible's origins), the Bible was assembled and edited by men over time. Whole sections of gospels were left out. Stuff was put in. That's why I do not take it literally, although I accept that there are people who do.

And, Gimster, I get your point about Christianity. I sometimes wonder myself if I am a Christian according to the doctrine of most Christian churches. Yes, I believe that Christ was put to death and the resurection occurred. However, I don't believe that it was a sacrifice for my sins. I believe the lesson is in his life. So, maybe that makes me a Jesus follower and not a Christian? I'm not too hung up on labels, so whatever one you want to use is fine with me.

New Leaf is also right. Right from the get-go, the church that Paul and Peter established was intent on conversion and it is a doctrinal imperative of the Chistian church. However, again, for me, it's an imperative of the church that developed after Jesus died, so it's not one I buy into.

I just wonder, when there's conflict between what Jesus said to do (e.g. love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself) and what some churches say to do (demonize those who aren't Christian), why we don't follow what Jesus said and did rather than the men that came after him? Just curious.

Take what you like of my beliefs and opinions and leave the rest.

In spirit,

#109199 - 03/16/07 04:00 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: Casey]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
One more thing. I believe that from New Leaf's perspective my soul is in peril and she is afraid for me and what I will experience after my death. I believe she cares about me and so I take her comments as those of love, not disrespect. That goes for others who disagree as well.
Thank you for your caring.

#109200 - 03/16/07 05:15 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: Casey]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
thanks casey for your take on things. Your freedom for yourself and for others is inspirasional as is your love and understanding.

it takes a strong self-assurances not to be rocked over thse types of matters of faith or the fate of the soul due to our own belifes in the face of being told no thats not how it is...so thanks for your wisdom and security

#109201 - 03/17/07 03:28 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Celtic, I do not know how I feel about any faith. I was raised a Christian, but do not believe that Christianity is the only answer. I believe that love and kindness and service and being good to others is my spirituality. I don't believe or not believe in "God" but I do believe in prayer as a way to finding your own solutions to problems. I believe in the power of positive thought.

I haven't written on this post because I have no real points to add. I love reading others thoughts on their beliefs and enjoying understanding about how others view God and share their beliefs.

Am I afraid of ridicule? No, not me! But I know that my non-religious, non-christian thoughts are not really of value to this thread. but I do enjoy hearing others speak of their religious beliefs.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#109202 - 03/17/07 03:35 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

More questions...
(regarding selectivity)> so how can we when it comes to Christianity, a name given to those who believe the Christian creed and live to follow the teachings of Jesus?

celtic, the above is my question... also, referring back to one of my earlier post in this discussion, anyone can find where I made reference to "Burger King" and "cafeteria style", which, translated meant, to me, "take what you want and leave the rest." I had already thrown the thought out there in regards to how I feel and believe. In no way was I directing it at what Casey said... I was just framing my question. I also used the word "we" in the question, making sure everyone understand I didn't mean any one person in particular. I am so grateful that Casey was mature enough and strong enough in herself and beliefs to not take it as an attack on her, telling her she was wrong in her beliefs (I most honestly wasn't doing that), or even misunderstanding what I had to say.
Casey, thank you. I am not cemented in what I believe in such a way that I don't still question, and question some more. I, too, believe that the Bible was fashioned by the church of the time to govern people, and that it was written under strict supervision, leaving in what was deamed necessary by the authorities that were. That is one thing that bothers me, immensely. But, when I think about it, I come to the conclusion that what is Divine will withstand the filter... what is now there, withstood the test of time and is meant to be there. Also, Casey, thank you for asking me to stay in the discussion. (YOU too, Anno.:)) It gave me courage (at a weak moment for me) to post a rebuttal.
If I have inadvertently offended anyone, please forgive.

#109203 - 03/17/07 11:49 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: gims]
celtic_flame Offline

my main concered was that casy was ok within the flow of the thread than anything else, as she answered in responce to my question i felt a bit responcible, when in fact i wasent responcible. As we can all see she was publickly and privatly ok with things.

once again GIMSTER i appoligise for my misinterpritasion of what i thought the post was about. Also if i have couse you any embarrisment as well as hurt with my misinterpritasion of the post i appoligise for that too.....i can offer no other relivent explinasion to you, that is about your, per say over and above what i have alreadie said a few post back. So all that remains for me to do is to appoligise and move on...i hope you can too.

#109204 - 03/17/07 12:07 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

i dunno ANNOA ..what you do have is spiritual belifes and they are valid in amonst this discussion as religous belifes, arn't they?

ANNOS QUOTE...I believe that love and kindness and service and being good to others is my spirituality I do believe in prayer as a way to finding your own solutions to problems. I believe in the power of positive thought.END QUOTE

i love practical spirituality weer peoploe manage to live what they hold to be true, its reallie refression wheen ever someone dose this belonging to a religion or not.
That connection between prayer and positive thoughts, finding your own solusion through it and in some way the positivity working....regardless of beliving in a god or not is exilent. i wouldn't agree that you don't have anything to add in this topic....as what you have just talked about is at the hart of religion/spirituality but do as you feel best.

and it is fun just reading and not joining in on some topics for long enough i read the writters stuff and not joined in becouse i didn't write, so though i shouldn't have been their and when i did it was fine. lol.
Thanks for jumping in on this one and doing something to help the situasion come to a good end...

celtic

#109205 - 03/18/07 08:58 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
With all due respect, Celtic, its not about domination, its about servitude. Jesus never intended for anyone to be condemned. It seems in this culture and in the day and age we live in that freedom of choice and freedom to believe as we wish is of paramount importance.

I would have to agree. At the same time, it is true that the Muslim, the Jew, the Satanist, even the dear one who straddles the fence, ALL will confess that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Now, that doesn't mean dominance, it doesn't mean anyone should go to war. It doesn't mean to be a hater or a judger. The Bible says that those who don't believe in Christ as the sacrificial lamb of God are condemned already because they haven't believed.

No wars are necessary. I can't say that I don't care whether or not you or your loved ones ever believe because that would be a lie. I do care because the love of Christ dwells in me. If you truly love your fellow man, you want them to be happy, healthy, and that they have eternal life.

Good works and happy thoughts won't get you there. It really is as simple as that. Love does involve passion and sacrifice. Its not all warm fuzzies. It takes a strong person to walk the path to salvation and to finish the race set before them.

We ARE in a spiritual battle and any of you who think we aren't are deluded. Its not a battle with arms and combat, its a spiritual battle for the souls of our friends, our children and our families.

It isn't easy, but you can't be politically correct and serve God at the same time. You CAN be polite and loving and considerate and be the greatest servant of all, but if you don't have the strength of your faith and your convictions then you are as the Bible puts it, a prostitute to the faith and not a handmaid of God. Those of you who are Catholic, what would Mary do? I ask you to search your conscience.

#109206 - 03/18/07 10:55 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: NewLeaf]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
New Leaf, you posted somewhere that your husband is a non-believer. Is that a problem for you?

My parents had different views about religion and it was a never ending tension between them. When my father died, and my mom remarried, she found someone who shared her beliefs. I think she was so much happier with her second husband because of this. I also noticed that my mother's urge to explain her viewpoints and justify her religious beliefs stopped when she met her second husband. It was as if it wasn't necessary for her to defend herself to the world any more. She found her peace in her relationship.

#109207 - 03/18/07 03:40 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Quote:

At the same time, it is true that the Muslim, the Jew, the Satanist, even the dear one who straddles the fence, ALL will confess that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

It is broad statements like this that keep me running faster and faster and further and further away from Christianity and organized religion.

Respectfully, I would add:

It also seems to be a very good example of Proselytism (the practice of attempting to convert people to another opinion, usually another religion) which were stated early on to be against the rules of this thread.

It further seems to be a threat to my existance in any "afterlife" and the existance of the majority of the people of the earth.

I can only hope that I completely misinterpreted the statement.

Page 10 of 20 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved