The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10911 - 05/30/05 10:21 PM breast cancer and books
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Review of After Breast Cancer: Answers to the Questions You’re Afraid to Ask by Musa Mayer. Published by O’Reilly, 2003. ISBN 0-596-5073-6. Paperback. 196 pages.

The author of this book is a 14-year breast cancer survivor (at the time of publication.) Musa Mayer was a counselor in the Ohio Community Mental Health system, with a specialty in women’s issues. The professional background, plus her personal experience, lends itself to specific knowledge to be an advocate for those facing breast cancer and its after effects. The author suspects that society encourages women to get on with their lives like before cancer, when in fact that is a faulty expectation. There is no going back to life as it was before cancer, because cancer shifts the foundation on which patients stand. Instead, survivors must build supports for a strong life after cancer. Mayer tells readers how to do that, and why it is necessary for post-cancer well-being.

Mayer incorporates the experiences of 40 other women. The women share their thoughts and feelings about what happens after surgery and other cancer treatments are over. The book clearly addresses the concerns of women worrying about recurrence and/or metastatic breast cancer. “This book takes the position that for women diagnosed with breast cancer, coming to terms in a direct way with the fear of recurrence can become a crucial part of the recovery process.”

For the two million women in the United States who will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, the recovery process is no easy task. The impact that cancer has on the patient, her family and friends, is profound. Mayer divides the issues of recovery into eight chapters, which include informational and emotional content. What determines a cure? What defines a survivor? What medical tests should a survivor have? What symptoms would a survivor experience? What fears are “normal?” How does a survivor experience a “new normal?” According to Mayer, survivors must “discover what is normal for us now.” In addition, Mayer explains the importance of support, and encourages survivors to seek support groups. She also includes an extensive resource guide. For those seeking a holistic approach to life after cancer, the area that is lacking in this book is a chapter on spirituality.

After Breast Cancer is a one-of-a-kind book that should be in of every survivor’s library for resources and reassurance.

#10912 - 06/01/05 07:13 AM Re: breast cancer and books
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, see the other post about books and breast cancer.

I'm going to tell my sister about this one. She's a breast cancer survivor!

#10913 - 06/02/05 05:50 PM Re: breast cancer and books
Coppertop Offline

Loc: Illinois
Sounds like a book I must have. I had surgery for breast cancer in August of 2004. I am doing great--back to working 40 hrs/wk. Thought I was going to die from the chemo-was taken off it after one treatment. The doctor said there is 1% of the population who can't take it, and I must have been in that 1%. I was then scared to do the radiation, but had no problems. All the support groups are a blessing.

#10914 - 06/03/05 07:33 AM Re: breast cancer and books
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Copper, sorry to hear about your cancer. What were they able to do in place of chemo?

Lynn and Copper, mind me asking if you are taking the meds for the next five years?

[ June 02, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#10915 - 06/02/05 08:40 PM Re: breast cancer and books
Princess Lenora Offline

Dotsie, I am supposed to be taking Arimidex. Okay, I started on Tamoxifen right after chemo. I had side effects equivalent to menopause. But who knows if this was the actual chemopause I was going through (chemo induced menopause) or side effects from the Tamoxifen. I think that one of the greatest risks of taking Tamoxifen is uterine cancer. Then, since I was fully menopaused, I was switched to Arimidex, which is for post menopausal. I stopped taking it. The minimal percentage of the possiblity of reducing recurrance was not worth it to me. The chemopause caused immediate bone density loss, so now I am on Fosamx forever. LLL

#10916 - 06/02/05 08:45 PM Re: breast cancer and books
Princess Lenora Offline

Copper, mind if I ask if you had lumpectomy or mastectomy? I had mastectomy and refused radiation. Again, the percentage of benefit was not great enough to experience the side effects. Plus, radiation makes reconstruction more complicated, and I was all for reconstruction. Cancer wasn't going to kill me, but chemo nearly did. I was hospitalized so many times for effects from chemo. It was always scary on the oncology ward, knowing that others died there. Oh, I agree about the support groups. I was healing so well that I started presenting at the support groups, doing journal writing workshops and imaging your goals workshops. My theory was that women battling breast cancer lose track of their dreams for their lives because the only focus is on saving your life during cancer. Love and Light, Lynn

#10917 - 06/03/05 04:52 PM Re: breast cancer and books
Coppertop Offline

I am taking Arimedex for 5 years. Also had bone density test and now take Actonel. Don't know if it was meds or cancer or just my age that caused bone loss. I am having no side effects from meds. I have lost a lot of weight--was 136 now 104. I said the good Lord took boobs but also got rid of hips and gave me curly hair. The one chemo treatment caused my hair all to come out but it has come back in very very curly. I love it

#10918 - 06/03/05 05:01 PM Re: breast cancer and books
Coppertop Offline

Forgot to mention that I had 32 radiation treatments. Seeing all three doctors again in July. My immediate family is very small (husband and 4 nieces) but I had a lot of good people of different faiths praying for me. I had lost my sister to breast cancer and knew how she suffered near the end, so needless to say I was scared. Through prayer and faith, I am doing great

#10919 - 06/03/05 09:20 PM Re: breast cancer and books
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Coppertop, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I so wanted my hair to come back thick and curly, but it is as straight and fine as ever. What is making you lose weight? I am so sorry you lost your sister to breast cancer! It amazes me how some survive, and some don't. Love and Light, Lynn

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved