The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#109168 - 03/06/07 11:44 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Or will God chose who enteres ... heven, YES it's the devine that choses that...In my life my responcibilite is to share God's Word...... AS it remains the indivduels choice in how they act and the devine dose the judging...

I like your answer. I have taken it and modified (in blue) how I would have put it, based on my beliefs.

As for the imitations, using my faith as the faith I'm comparing to, I could name a number of religions which I might consider imitations, but out of respect I'll not.

I'm thankful that we can discuss this without trying to win the other over. Thank you for letting me explain my ways of thinking and believing.

(BTW... were you the one wanting to use quotes? if yes, here's another way. Type, no spaces, [ quote ] copy and paste what you want in quotes [ / quote ] ... I had to put spaces or I'd be coding for a quote.)

#109169 - 03/07/07 12:30 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: gims]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea its me trying to learn to do quotes....i did do one succesfullie but got to writting my post then rembered your other question and got stuck as to how to do it then ...ah well!

the blue re-wording cool I think if your within a religion then its cool to offer anyother a snipit of what the reigions about....even if we heer stuff all the time...sometimes their comes a time when the rite quote or view hits home with someone and they heer it in a new way..Thats the bit that we not responcible for but yea perhapps their is a responcibilitie to offer others the chance or insight into views or religions we are within..And you never know who reading this and what effect it have on them (positivly) regarding a religion.

i also talk about devine spirite, god/godess, universal spitate...just diffrent names for the same entity...at lest god is eaier to spell for me lol

I also do have trouble getting my head around someone elses religion at times. I try to understand them and their belifes and how it all fits together for them into a mental or behavoral way of being in the world. I honestly do try and i can see at times weer their religion directs them but their humaness has them falling short, as i fall short in trying to live by my own spiritual ideals. But sometimes in my experince it's either explaned wrongly or the religions just seems bizzare (to my upbringing/outlook personal views)and i am shocked by it.
I may discuss religion but i hope never to take or trash someone elses belifes to the extent that it rocks their faith (we all get vulrible at times) becouse sometimes their view of their god is all they have in the world...take that from them and they have nuthing...
Maybee i just work with too many suicidal people?

I don't think anyone wins anyone over to anything by arguing. It might make the other person more anti whatever it is your trying to communicate. Creates hurt or hard feelings a calm and respectfull discussion at lest has people willing to listen then able to make their own choice.

the whole threads been prettie calm and its been reallie nice being involved in it....i have learnefd a lot and had a lot to think about, theirs never harm in that.

somehow this thread seems appropriate at this time of year as it is lent and comming up to holie week (for catholicks)don't know about the other christion tradisions....but in memorie of christ and his experinces during lent, and then the cruxificsion and reserection then for the memorie and whole spirite of the whole sequinc of events ....its worth marking and raising awarness off, no matter what religion your from....well at lest i think

celtic

#109170 - 03/07/07 01:49 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Quote:

Question : What do you think about God knowing who will choose and who will not?

I'm not sure what this means either. Who will choose God? A religion? To believe in Jesus? To believe that Jesus died for my sins? (Which is different from believing in Jesus.)
I guess it depends on whether or not you believe that life is pre-ordaned by God.

#109171 - 03/07/07 06:59 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: Casey]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Celtic, I can understand why you might be concerned for the emotions of those whose belief systems might be shaken, but what if they wouldn't be suicidal in the first place if they could cling to a better way for them? What if their emotional and mental illness stemmed from belief in a false God and the Holy Spirit was drawing them and trying to love them into the Truth and peace and power and strength of mind that comes through the renewal of the Holy Spirit?

I've studied the Talmud, Tamakh, midrash the Torah, Tipitaka, Tao-Te-Cing, ancient religions of Mitra and Druidism, Mayanism and most recently reading the Quran.

I've studied Spiritism, Satanism, and the New Age Movement with its multi-faceted forum. It seems there is a common thread throughout all the religions but Christianity.

Forgiveness isn't necessary because wrong is relative, blood sacrifice is necessary, works are necessary to gain Nirvana, godhood, higher enlightenment, etc.

Christianity doesn't require anything but acknowledging that the blood of Jesus covers their sins and makes the path clear to God and eternal life with Him. It asks that you acknowledge that you are a sinner fallen from grace, that you need a Saviour, that you turn from sin and make Christ the Lord of your life, that you are obedient to Him and that you love your neighbor as yourself.

In return God promises peace that passes all understanding, unconditional love, forgiveness, a sound mind, power, health, that all your needs will be met, joy and happiness, knowledge, fellowship with God, assurance that you will one day be with Him, that in Heaven there are many mansions that Christ the carpenter has prepared for us, that we will once again be reunited with our loved ones who have gone before us who were believers in Christ and so, so much more.

#109172 - 03/07/07 08:15 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: NewLeaf]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

...for the emotions of those whose belief systems might be shaken, ... What if their emotional and mental illness stemmed from belief in a false God and the Holy Spirit was drawing them and trying to love them into the Truth and peace and power and strength of mind that comes through the renewal of the Holy Spirit?

That's exactly where my thoughts went. What if their faith wasn't filling a need, an understanding? What if the stirring within them, the doubts, the questions, the lowness (if that's a word), etc. is the Holy Spirit working in them?

I feel led to repeat this scripture:
Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching.... Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." [John 8:31-32] No need to translate...a simple test built in.

It is a wonderful thing knowing that we don't have to earn our way.

I have a confession to make. This discussion has helped me in so many ways. Based on a close relative's belief sharing around 10 years ago, I started questioning my own. Over the years, I have done some reading (certainly not to the extent of NL), but enough. I started with Ron L. Hubbard's Dianetics. That scared me. But, I didn't stop. I read anything else that caught my fancy, that I thought would help me find my answer. I read enough to start believing that I had God in me - not that he lived within my heart, but that I had powers of God built into my brain. Essentially, my brain was my God part. The more I learned and heard, the more I questioned and doubted Christian teaching. I've questioned even more, since watching the PBS, Discovery Channel, Fox specials about who Jesus was, where the Bible came from, who put it together, what parts were left out and for what reasons. All the while, I was still getting my regular doses of my favorite ministers on INSP. It's been tough. I've hopscotched from doubt to doubt, from question to question, from belief to belief, from being fed-up to hopeless to happy, back to hopeless to fed-up, again. I came to a point of being mad at what I was expected to know and live by, and having to stick with it. At the same time, I was pissed because I might be living under the wrong belief system, no matter where my believing decided to settle. I even took on 2 ways of acting (no explanation necessary). Today, I feel something of that innocent faith that I had as a child growing in me again. I think I knew as a child what the truth was. I'll be glad to be back at that point. I still don't care for organized religion. I have reasons why, but I won't go into them.
Thank you all for participating in this thread. I really mean that!

#109173 - 03/07/07 06:13 PM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: NewLeaf]
celtic_flame Offline

Quote:

Celtic, I can understand why you might be concerned for the emotions of those whose belief systems might be shaken, but what if they wouldn't be suicidal in the first place if they could cling to a better way for them? What if their emotional and mental illness stemmed from belief in a false God and the Holy Spirit was drawing them and trying to love them into the Truth and peace and power and strength of mind that comes through the renewal of the Holy Spirit?

newlesf i live in a prodominatly or overwhelmingly christion society......I think you assuomed i ment no-christions....How dose this applie in an existing christions case? Altrnativlie an agnostic or athiest, jewish etc. ...Some people have been brutilized, terriorized by the leaders or reprisentitives of religions (prists/ministers) or alternitivlie the average jo's interpritasion of any spacific religions teachings ie overzelias parent etc. ....meds and theripie might be best untill they are no longer suicidal..

For me their is more peace, contentment and health with a spirtuality than without one....but thats not the case for everyone.

Suicide more likly to occure when all hope is gone, if their god is ther last bit of hope i woldn't dream of shaking it, due to the vulribilite of the person at that time. Thats what i was meaning with the last post.

GYMSTER I agree with the couse of the restlessness you weer talking about as one potencial reasons, which i don't forget about....but as we all know their can be so many more couses and reasons behing seriouse depression and suicidal intent.
If it is spiritualy based, the holy spirite and that depression that you talked about can be a sighn to work out a better spiritual way..ie belife from within your existing religion....However if someone can't worki it out from within then thats what leads to people moving to diffrent religions than what they were born into.....(weer is it written or why dose it necasarily follow that you have to live the religion that you were born into anyway?)

NEWLEAFS QUOTEChristianity doesn't require anything but acknowledging that the blood of Jesus covers their sins and makes the path clear to God and eternal life with Him. It asks that you acknowledge that you are a sinner fallen from grace, that you need a Saviour, that you turn from sin and make Christ the Lord of your life, that you are obedient to Him and that you love your neighbor as yourself.END QUOTE

I would hope the above be true.....and living a decent life. Whats more important acnolaging christ as the saviour etc. Or living a decent god centred life?

CASY
can you say more about belife in jesus but not necasarily meaning he diead for ones sins....How is the cruxificsion justified? Pre-determined life....Now their a topic worth investigating!!!

celtic

#109174 - 03/08/07 05:16 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
NewLeaf Offline

Celtic, I appreciate your perspective regarding the community of people you come into contact with. I know that surrender to Christ doesn't necessarily mean you will never get depressed or suicidal. I don't know of many people who if asked, wouldn't admit to having those thoughts at some point in their lives.

"The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike." Its all part of this boot camp we call life. But Christ has the power to change from the inside out, a complete renewal of the mind and body and restoration to completeness.

Regarding those who have suffered at the hands of the clergy and teachers and others in authority: Satan can and most always does pose as an angel of light and he hates innocence. What better platform to drive people from faith in Christ than to use the very representatives of faith ie: ministers and priests?

The Bible states that "...it would be better for them (the ones through which harm comes) that a millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the deepest sea."

Because there has been suffering in the world and at the hands of those who were in a position of trust, that doesn't give anyone the right to then throw those who are drowning a bowling ball and call it a flotation device.

That's destructive false hope. That's implying that our human abilities and level of education is far superior to the ability of their very Creator to heal them, forgive them and restore them to a sound mind and soul.

If I were in the position of healer or helper or guide to someone who was suicidal or desperately holding on to life, I would be so very careful that I was a conduit for truth rather than a container of falsehood. Otherwise, I would be libel on the last day for those I've filled with false hope and falsehood.

Jesus Crucifiction was necessary for the forgiveness of our sins. In the Old Testament, which is used by the Jewish faith, the priests had to follow strict rituals in the sacrifice of perfect blemishless lambs as offerings for the sins of the people because God is Holy and perfect. Sin can't be where God is.

Because God loved us so much, he gave His only son to be born a human, experience all that was human, live among us, and then suffer and die for us as the final sacrificial lamb. Now no more blood sacrifices will ever be necessary again. We can come boldly before the throne of God and make our requests just like a favorite child.

Its no more complicated than that. I'm overjoyed at the wonder of the promises of God and the love extended to us through Christ.

Its not enough to live a good life. Even if we gave our bodies to be burned but lacked the love of Christ Jesus, it would be for nothing. Its not good works that get you into eternity with God. Its the acceptance of the precious sacrifice Christ made for each of us and a release of our own will to His.

#109175 - 03/08/07 07:30 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: NewLeaf]
NewLeaf Offline

I was raised protestant and when I turned 15, I started on my own safari for truth. I experimented with TM, Eastern religions, drugs, alcohol, Native American religion (carried a charm bag and had fetishes around my house).

Smoked peyote, etc. I became more and more depressed which lead me to the psychiatrist and counselors. The psychiatrist prescribed even more drugs, valium, librium and something else for the stomach. I became addicted to valium.

I sunk deeper and deeper into depression until one day I decided to take myself off all the drugs and started reading my Bible. I just sat at the dining room table and read and read until I had completely read the whole Bible.

I saw so many things in there I'd never been taught. There were so many questions. I was in school at the time and my philosophy teacher came up to me one day after class and put his arm around my shoulders and said, "I've noticed you sort of going downhill lately. Some people meet at my house on Wednesday nights and my wife and I would love to have you stop by."

I went and they all gathered around me and prayed and I felt like Atlas sitting there in that chair and the weight of the whole world was lifted off my shoulders. It was wonderful!

I'll never forget the experience. I've slipped up time and again, but I see myself on this tether or umbelical cord attached to Christ. He will only let me get so far then He starts reeling me in again, back to the safety and comfort of his arms.

I wouldn't give that up for anything in the world.

#109176 - 03/09/07 02:58 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: NewLeaf]
celtic_flame Offline

i trulie hasppie you had the positive experinces you had with the church....pitie you got addicted to the drugs.

overand above that what can i say about the posts....

The main thing is i don't repond to threats from people nor threats regarding my soul and how gods gonna treat me when we meet and you know this NL.

Meds and theripists are necassary at times for people in crisis or sever pain...look further than your own experinces newleaf!!!

you have gone a little to far this time (as you do many times) in your assumptions juding and daming of me....and off course it transmites into my profesional life. All this on no evidance of what or how i do my work, just your own perceptions.
Ladie your way off mark heer and blinded by your own belifes about me, religion and how the world should be. Fine if thats how you want to live your life but the line gets drawen when you start telling me how to live mine, falslie question my work throw into the pot the potencial damnasion of my soul and implie that the world (and my world)has to revolve around your religion....sorrie but no ball.

you have every right to your belifes for your life but not when it turnes into your belifes for my life. Try to treat me with the same respect that i repeatidly offer to you

celtic

#109177 - 03/10/07 12:38 AM Re: Fully aware of where they come from... [Re: celtic_flame]
NewLeaf Offline

Celtic, I'm sorry for offending you. I know you do the best you can and that you truly care for others. I don't presume you are the kind of person who would intentionally lead someone in the wrong direction.

Sometimes I come on a lot too strong. I was sincere when I stated that I wouldn't want your job because it would put such a responsibility on my shoulders. It would be terribly important to me to be right and to help these hurting people the best I knew how with the best tools at my disposal. I'm sure you do that.

You are right. I would be offended too. I'm truly apologetic.

I've known many people who suffer from depression and anxiety. My daughters are two examples close to my heart. They have been helped immensely by a combination of counselling, drug therapy and Christian based teaching. Nothing else has worked.

I've known many other people who just slip further and further into the deep hole of depression because they don't have the right path to follow out of the hole.

At the end of time, "Every knee will bow and Every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the Glory of God the Father." Every doesn't leave anyone out.

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved