The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10832 - 02/05/06 01:02 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Scorpio, Diabetes is one of my hot topics. My nubby is a Type I diabetic and has been since he was 21.

The cinnamon didn't do much for my daughter. She no longer takes it.

The best tip I have for Diabetics is EXERCISE. Evening exercise has cut out one of my husband's shots a day. He takes several.

If my daughter's number is high (she controls only with exercise and diet)and she goes for a run, it drops.

She also swears that hot baths help reduce her number. You may want to try that.

Feel free to ask anything about the disease. I know a lot from the caretakers point of view.

I know it's not easy to keep the numbers down, but it is vital if you want to lilve a long, healthy life.

I wish you the best.

#10833 - 02/05/06 07:02 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I read recently that besides the exercise being the number one best thing for Diabetes, that all diabetics should hit the hot tub every night as well. The hot swirling water is good some how. Hey its worth a try and cinnamon has really helped lower my numbers but I use powdered, not pill form and sprinkle it into my foods, cereal, oatmeal, even some veges, puddings and tea etc .

#10834 - 02/06/06 01:17 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I bet the hot tub works even better than a hot bath.

Hmmm, this may be a good reason to get one.

#10835 - 02/06/06 02:24 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Chatty, I remembered you writing about cinnamon and when a friend told me take it in the fall I did. My numbers are sometimes better when I do. Like you I use it on my cereal in the morning. May have to try some of the other things too.
Maggie

#10836 - 02/07/06 03:46 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Scorpio there are two really informative books on Diabetes that I swear by. Look for The Glucose Revolution by Drs. Jennie Brand Miller, Thomas M.S. Wolever, Stephen Colagiuri, and Kaye Foster-Powell...also and the best book I ever learned from is: Reversing Diabetes by Dr. Julian Whitaker. He also as a clinic in Anaheim California where he does miracles with nutrition and vitamins etc. People check in ther for a week or more...There are many books available just go to the main BWS page and Google Diabetes books....

[ February 06, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#10837 - 02/07/06 09:43 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
MiwSher Offline

Loc: Canada
I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes just this past summer. I'm so glad I read these posts! I like to put cinnamon in my coffee and I love it on toast. I'll have to try it and see if it affects my blood sugars.

It's hard for me to exercise, which is very frustrating right now. I was born with spina bifida. I'm paraplegic and use a wheelchair. I tried diet alone but it didn't help so I take Metformin (Glucophage). I'm still learning the ins and outs of this disease so any tips I can get would be appreciated.

MiwSher

#10838 - 03/10/06 12:21 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
BJ_BOBBI_JO Offline

Loc: indiana USA
i am a strange diabetic that has extreme insulin resistance like that of a type 2 and my pancreas does not make insulin like that of a type 1.
cinnamon taste mighty good but does not help my sugars. chromium GTF helps some and it helps to limit the carb cravings its a natural mineral we all need anyways.
i was on 7 or more shots a day and glocophage. now im on the pump and glucophage

#10839 - 03/10/06 07:24 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Miwsher, my daughter swears hot baths lower her blood sugar. You can't beat that. It's certainly easy enough.

BJ, how do you like the pump? And which one are you using?

Hubby is a Type I and takes 4-5 shots a day. Not a biggie though. He never complains and takes very good care of himself. He has tremendous self-discipline.

#10840 - 03/10/06 07:25 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

BJ, why don't you begin another post and tell us about your Hurricane Katrina experiences?

#10841 - 03/18/06 11:43 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
HELP!! Fellow Boomers, I am here to ask your advice. I belong to a group for people who either have the brain tumor, craniophayngioma, or who are caretakers. I received this email this morning, and I'm really not sure how to respond. This may be a young person who has no one else to guide her.....the message from her neuro to her gen. practioner is obvious :

HELLO
I HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM MY NEURO SURGEON WHAT IS A COPY OF ONE HE HAS SENT TO MY GP. IT TELLS HIM ABOUT MY GROWTH AND SAYS ON IT "AS YOU ARE AWARE OF THE HIGH MORBIDITY RATE OF THE EXCERTION OF THIS TYPE OF TUMOR" CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS. COS WHEN I LAST SPOKE TO MY NEURO HE SAID WHEN I HAVE SURGERY AGAIN HE'S GOING FOR ALL OF IT.
THANKS

Anyone care to offer me at least one good idea? Or ANY idea??? SOON ????
Can you imagine what is running thru this girl's mind?

Searcher

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved