The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#106596 - 02/05/07 01:59 AM Your name, sign of the decade?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well my first name is most definitely a 1950's girl's name. It fact, it sounds abit flatfooted with my last name. Too bad it wasn't a 2 syllable first name. But at least, it is an approachable Anglo/French first name to...match up with an exotic sounding Asian last name.

And my first name in Chinese is beautiful and common. It translates as "Precious" or "Treasured". And middle name means Orchid, a very common name given to Chinese females.

Next sister's first Chinese name translates as "Twilight" or "Dusk".

And parents should explain to a child the meaning of their name, particularily if the child's name sounds "foreign". I found through friends....um 20 years later, what my names meant. Guess parents didn't think it was important to explain.

#106597 - 02/05/07 04:34 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: orchid]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Kathy . . . I went to school with so many Kathys! For my high school years I was called Kati (my initials were KT) and that helped to seperate me from the others. My bestest friend still calls me Kati, but she's the only one left.

My name is Katherine Elaine, which means Pure Light. I love that!

#106598 - 02/05/07 05:33 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
My 1st name is the feminine form of a Spanish male name. What it means, I do not know. I do know I hate it, always have. 2nd name is almost as bad. 3 letters. Neither fit me, IMO. Mother says she chose the name for me because a dear and beautiful friend of hers had it. I ask, why me?

I honestly believe names have an effect on people's lives, depending on where they live, who they associate with, and (I'll include because of this thread) when you live. My name drops to the floor like a heavy rock. And, when people call it out, they have an image of the person behind it.

An example of timing: I remember when I chose the name for our oldest daughter. When I shared it with my DH's maternal grandmother, she made a disgusted face and said, "that's a slave girl's name." My spirit plummeted. This was my older sister's name, my maternal grandmother's name and her mother's name (and now one of my granddaughter's name). And, I loved it... still do! She was pulling from her life experiences when she made the hurtful comment. It didn't change my mind, tho... I named my first baby Amanda.

#106599 - 02/05/07 07:29 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I was almost Michelle, but another baby girl was born on our block 2 weeks before me, and she was Michelle, so my mother decided I needed a different name. I was 20 or 25 years old before I met another Meredith.

I'm named after my maternal grandfather Michael. My Hebrew name is Michal, which it would've been with the English name Michelle too. Michal was one of the wives of Biblical King David. It also means pineapple.

Jewish babies are traditionally given their Hebrew name, usually in honor of a close deceased relative. Then an "American" name is chosen. Anything with the same first letter would do.

Poet and essayist

#106600 - 02/05/07 09:20 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
My name is derived from French...it's latin meaning is 'little one'.....being the youngest of five and weighing in at a tiny 2lb 4 oz...that's appropriate I suppose. My second name is Patricia!!! Too much pethedine mee thinks!!!
When I was choosing my confirmation name....I got in a wee bit of trouble with the nuns....we had the Dean of our church come to see us some time before this big day...he was a sweet elderly gent who had a wee soft spot for me and my mischevious ways . We were all stood in line waiting for him to ask us our chosen name and our explanation why. One girl down the line was adamant that she wanted Elvis as her name , which caused a stir...but not as much as me!! When he got to me he smiled softly and went on with his enquiries... I announced Bernadette proudly...and he smiled some more, telling me it was a good choice, it bieng after a saint...
when I replied 'yes......after Saint Bernadette Mc Alliskey Reverend' ...(Devlin...lead woman of the Irish Civil Rights Movement of the 60's),he creased up over his stick....laughing so hearty...he had to sit down! After he left, I got the scelping of my little life!!!! Well, the Dean and I thought it was funny.

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#106601 - 02/05/07 12:32 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Poppie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yip names and the meanings are important....but what a presure and responcibility chosing for a child lol...

in relashion to the child Lucien (loo-C-in)
His 1st name means "bringer of light" the second means first warrier and the 3 rd means song at dawn....yes he has three first names....when you put them together his first and second names initial L.A.C.E a butifull delicate but incrediblay strong fabrike...We covered all bases...

People generally think it's irish or italion but it's greek/french...iv an italion second name so he got a mouthfull of names and a liftime of spelling to do but it's butifull and i hope he thinks so when hes older...His names may fit with the other italion names in the family so he dosen't stand out too much..

...but it was chosen for how it sounded and more importantly what it ment...the 2 went hand in hand...

I don't mind my first name but i don't think i suite it some people are surprised i just see it as a fairly common name so don't get the surprise...
I was nearly macala which would of been ok but then again i was also nearly Tonie which would of been a disaster lol

maybee i got things too be thankfull for lol

celtic_flame

#106602 - 02/05/07 01:37 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: celtic_flame]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I like both my first and second names. I don't know where or why I got my first name. It means "plateau", but I prefer being the biblical "Rose of Sharon". I haven't met many other "Sharon's" in my lifetime. But my second name (Clare) comes from my Mom's Mom, who I adored with every fiber of my being...so I've always cherished my second name as a kindred-connection to her.

(Maya Angelou)

#106603 - 02/05/07 08:31 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My name means "Victory" or "Victorious"

My real name is Vicki. Not Victoria. However, my father wanted to name me Victoria, but when it came time to fill out the birth certificate he couldn't spell Victoria, so spelled Vicki instead. My mother was exhausted and asleep after giving birth to me in a breech position.

My middle name is Marie. I was named after my mother's mother. I loved my grandma. I'm glad I was named after her.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#106604 - 02/05/07 10:51 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
My father named me. He didn't want me to be a Sarah or a Sandra, so he named me Saundra so I would be special. I think he got different! And I've spent my whole life saying, "With a U!" I don't know my Hebrew name (can't remember) and no one is left alive who can tell me.

My middle name, Miriam, is biblical. Miriam was the oldest sister of Moses and Aaron. The three siblings were the leaders of the Children of Israel during the Exodus from Egypt. Miriam was known to be a prophetess and an ancestor of creative geniuses. So? I'll be happy to lead people to good dental health when my book is released (whenever that will be).

I love my names!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#106605 - 02/06/07 01:33 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Saundra]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I actually like my name. Pamela. It's greek and means all honey. There were a ton of Pam's when I went to school. We always had to go my our first and last names to keep us straight.

We had a bunch of Kathys too. There was only one Cathy the rest spelled their name with a "K".

I wasn't so crazy about my middle name when I was a kid but it's grown on me. Kay. It's my mother's middle name. Don't know it's meaning. Probably a derivitive of Kathy.

Laurel

Edited by Laurel (02/06/07 01:34 AM)

#106606 - 02/06/07 08:50 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Laurel]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am Charleen Catherine. Its okay, rarely ever use the middle name. Have no idea what either name means.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#106607 - 02/07/07 02:48 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Laurel]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
I was sort of ahead of the pack with my name. My parents named me "Kimberly"...my mother had just read a book about the Kimberley (different spelling) Diamond Mines in S. Africa. All throughout school, I was the only "Kim". Then when it started to become popular in the Nineties, my head would whirl around when a mother would call her young daughter at the mall. I was never used to there being any other Kim!
My middle name was my mother's first name...Louise. It's a German name (she was of German descent) and it means "glory at war". THAT doesn't match my mother! She was kind and loving and peaceful. I believe my name means "leader".

#106608 - 02/07/07 03:39 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: klmr13]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Chatty, Catherine means Pure. Charleen means Man; it is derived from the name Charles.

#106609 - 02/07/07 06:08 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

I like the French version of my name, Jeanne. However it sounds wrong with my last name. My last name would make it end like a thud.

A sister of mine would have been named Cynthia. However my mother who barely speaks English, could not pronounce the TH blended consonant, which is a common problem among native Chinese language speakers. So baby sister became "Sylvia" instead. Her Chinese name is "Ling Ling", which sounds like a tinkling bell to me.

Later my father had the pleasure of helping recommend English language names for children of relatives who immigrated to Canada. He (and their parents) agreed children might feel more included if they had an optional English language names. So he named 4 children in 2 families. The children did keep their names. And yes, my father wanted to make sure the parents liked the sound of the names, even if they didn't know what the words meant at that time.

#106610 - 02/07/07 07:45 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I think my parents expected something else when they named me Angelika. If that's supposed to mean angel- like;...then oops, I think we all got a wrong conception of those devine angels up there.

#106611 - 02/08/07 01:35 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Edelweiss]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Ho, ho, Hannelore. A cosmic joke on your parents! What does Hannelore mean?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#106612 - 02/08/07 01:53 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Saundra]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hannelore is actually my mother's name, and it means "God is my light."

#106613 - 02/08/07 04:21 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Edelweiss]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
My name is Patricia Ann (good Catholic name) Patricia means 'Noble' and Ann means 'Full of Grace'.

The year after I was born the Pope said people didn't have to name their kids after patron saints so my sister was named Kim.....I always envied her and thought it was so much cooler to have a trendy name.

I only go by Patricia for formal or legal things, I go by Patti on a daily basis and my initials spell by name!
P-A-T! (I think that's much cooler than my sister's initials which spell KAT!)

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#106614 - 02/08/07 05:31 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: starting over]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Jane...always plain Jane...means God is gracious...I've always liked my name...I think it suits me...Carol means powerful...so I guess Carroll means really POWERFUL! LOL

#106615 - 02/08/07 11:13 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Eagle Heart Offline

Gimster, I noticed in another thread that you signed your name "Mona"...and remembered what you had said in this thread about disliking both your first and second names.

I just have to say that I've always LOVED that name Mona...it was the name of the mother of one of my life-long best friends (we played in the playpen together 50+ years ago and still exchange Christmas & birthday cards and occasional emails) and I used to love how her name rolled off my tongue. If I recall correctly I named at least one of my dolls Mona. It's still one of my favourite names.

I know it's different when it's your own, and it also depends on how people either threw your name at you or caressed you with it, but I just had to throw in my two-cents worth...I have a beautiful Christian-based name book, and the spiritual connotation for Mona is "Reflection of Wisdom" and the inherent meaning is "Moon", so that's a mighty powerful name you have there...bringing light and wisdom to those around you...I for one love the special light that the moon brings to the night sky. The moon is considered to be a very special gift from God, designed to light the way for those who have to wrestle and journey through the darkness of night, a vibrant sign of eternal hope that we never walk alone, even in the darkest night of the soul.

Edited by Eagle Heart (02/09/07 12:21 AM)

(Maya Angelou)

#106616 - 02/09/07 05:02 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Eagle Heart]
gims Offline

I go by "Mona"...which is a shorter version of the full, which I hate with a passion! Mona is not so bad. I've met others who have the same name as me and each one has claimed the same - we all have a common dislike, no repeat: "hate", for the name. If you didn't know me by Mona, and having read my posts, what would you think my name was?

Thank you for liking "Mona," tho... backs up my decision to go by it.

#106617 - 02/09/07 01:56 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
Laurel Offline

Okay, Gimster, you've got my curiosity peaked. What's your real first name? Fess up. It can't be that bad.

My mother's first name is Virginia and she hates it. She goes by her middle name: Kay. When she was a girl she tried variations of it; Ginnie, Ginger etc. It didn't work for her.
I never thought Virginia was that bad.

I have a friend who's first name is Monique, she goes by her middle name, Renee.

Laurel

#106618 - 02/10/07 03:04 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Laurel]
Eagle Heart Offline

I want to know, too, Gimster. I can't figure it out either. PM me/us if you don't want it public.

And if you hate it so much, have you ever thought of legally changing it? It's never too late - although the paperwork involved is probably prohibitive, isn't it!

I have a friend who changed his name - he's 40-something, and had such a devastating childhood history, that he finally changed both his first and last names in order to physically and emotionally divorce himself from that past. I don't know if that's actually possible, but he's so much happier now than he's ever been before, so it's clearly a step that he himself felt essential to take in order to start living his life the way he wanted to.

Edited by Eagle Heart (02/10/07 03:09 AM)

(Maya Angelou)

#106619 - 02/10/07 05:17 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mercy09 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
All, I loved reading about your names tonight. Names are so interesting! Mine is common to our era...Kathy. Originally named Kathleen after a popoular song in the "50's" an Irish tune "Take me home again Kathleen" We have a great book, The Secret Universe of Names by Roy Felinson. My favorite note from the book is that those who choose to end their names with "Y" or "IE" are signaling that they don't take themselves too seriously. One of my most cherished responsiblities in life was naming our children...with purposeful intention. We have 2 girls-Faith and Grace. If we would have had a third girl, we would have named her Joy.
Perhaps we should post this topic concerning pet names.
We had 2 siamese boy cats Yin and Yang! Yin is still with us at age 15.

#106620 - 02/10/07 05:24 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Mercy09]
Mercy09 Offline

Dotsie,
Are you a Dorothy? Notes on D names from the name book noted in my last post are:
Dominant, durable and dignified. TH is the symbol traditionally assocaited with compassion, thoughtfulness, theology, thankful, thorough, thespian and author.
Inner strength. Reputation for fairness and sense of justice.
Does this sound like you?

#106621 - 02/10/07 05:30 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Mercy09]
Mercy09 Offline

Gimster,
The name Mona is symbolic of maternal, motherly and love. Impecable taste, low maintenance and high spirited.
Again info from the Secret Universe of Names, By Roy
Feinson.

#106622 - 02/10/07 06:59 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Mercy09]
gims Offline

Here are some clues:
*Think popularity around the early 1900s
*Think controversial romance novel of same period
*Think Jackie Gleason
*Think Indian/Spanish
*Think of a rolllllingggggg "R"
*Think 'starts with R and ends in A'
Now, how fun was that???

Oh, and my middle name is something you wouldn't want to name your son...

Have I thought about changing my nameS? You bet I have. I'd change it to something softer. Or Sarah - I love that name.

Well, thank you Mercy09... I think the "low maintenance" fits me best. Hmmm, and I do pride myself on being maternal.

#106623 - 02/10/07 05:07 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

Here's some reality checks, Gimster:
* think menopause, as in "mental-pause", as in "no clue"
* think brainfog, as in "nothing upstairs", as in "no clue"
LOL. In other words, I'm stumped. But will continue to unravel this mystery. I did think of Ramona and Roberta, both of which I like a lot, so they're probably not the right ones.

I hope you don't feel awkward with us delving like this. Your right to privacy is paramount...the very last thing I'd ever want to do is make you feel anything but loved and cared for here, so if you'd rather leave it at that, let me know and I'll gently back off. I don't really need to know your name, but I really do care to know YOU.

I love the name Sarah too. My paternal grandmother's name was Sarah, but I never knew her, so there's no real connection. I just love the name.

(Maya Angelou)

#106624 - 02/10/07 06:28 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Eagle Heart]
gims Offline

My, oh my, I do have something for the gratitude thread - my name isn't Roberta. I truly don't mind anyone knowing my name. It is Ramona.

#106625 - 02/10/07 07:56 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Yea! I had guessed Ramona, even before the clues! I love Sarah as well...my youngest daughter's name.

#106626 - 02/11/07 03:47 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Mercy09 Offline

glimster, Now that you've revealed Ramona...here is more info from the secret universe of names book. RMN's have a zest for stimulation, love the outdoors! Are adventurers who love to travel. Yet they never stray too far form their emotinal nests. They are tightly bound to their loved ones!
In their careers they are natural educators and coaches. They have a childlike sense of wonder!

#106627 - 02/11/07 05:09 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Mercy09]
gims Offline

If that doesn't hit the nail on the head, nothing does!
zest of stimulation
love outdoors
adventurous, love travel, yet NEVER STRAY far from emotional nest
tightly bound to loved ones
natural educator
childlike sense of wonder

This probably covers so many people, but it sure does describe me.

#106628 - 02/11/07 01:23 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

Wow, Gimster, that's powerful - and beautiful - stuff.

(Maya Angelou)

#106629 - 02/11/07 04:16 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
Laurel Offline

Hey Gimster,
I love that name; Ramona. Have you read the children's books character Ramona Quimby? She's a fun character.

Laurel

#106630 - 02/11/07 04:19 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Mercy09]
Laurel Offline

Mercy09
Quote:

We have a great book, The Secret Universe of Names by Roy Felinson.

That sounds like a great book. I'll have to check it out. What does it say about the name "Pam"?

Laurel

#106631 - 02/11/07 05:05 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Isn't it funny how everyone has a different feeling about a name? I LOVE the name Ramona! And I agree with Laurel...the Ramona books, by Beverly Cleary, were wonderful! I always read them with my daughter when she was little.

#106632 - 02/11/07 09:14 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Quote:

I go by "Mona"...which is a shorter version of the full, which I hate with a passion! Mona is not so bad.

I knew of a family that named their daughters, Mona and Lisa. Yes, it was deliberate by the parents.

I have a set of cousins in 1 family, where out of 5 daughters, 3 were named Pauline, Arlene and Marlene.

#106633 - 02/11/07 09:37 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Well, I'm warming up to the name...
NOT! OK, maybe a tid. I like what mercy's book had to say about RMN's, too, Eagle. But, it might just be emotional wishing on my part. Are you going to have her look up Sharon? Mercy, how do you look something up, by the full name or by just the consonants in a name?
I am familiar with the Cleary series. Our girls read them and, I've gotta say, I got ribbed because of Cleary's characterization. They could help but poke fun - like their father! Pam (I have a sister named Pamela), can't wait to see what Mercy has to report on that name. I'd like to compare it to how I feel about my sister.
Quote:

Isn't it funny how everyone has a different feeling about a name?

Isn't that the truth?

#106634 - 02/13/07 06:04 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Ramona sounds just fine to me. There's a town not too far from here called Ramona.

I have to say, I really hate some of the girl names from the past 10 years. Taylor??? Hunter??? What's next, Butcher? I really don't understand why parents purposely give their kids ugly names, or names that no one can pronounce or spell.

Poet and essayist

#106635 - 02/13/07 09:53 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: meredithbead]
celtic_flame Offline

not being able to spell a name comes in handy if you get stoped by the police lol just thinking aloud lol...

dose anyone know how long it takes for a name to come into fashion, be everywear then diea down....i get confused when every second kids called by the same name and they are all 2 yrs old and it turns out to be something as insperasional as a new caricter out or eastenders ( a TV soap)

I like RMA its got caricter and unique in a good way and it feels nice in your mouth when you say it.

MERCY09 do you know what michelle means or dose anyone else for that matter. Either no one knew or botherd to tell me at home lol with all the meanings i was just getting curiouse

celtic

#106636 - 02/15/07 02:27 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Laurel]
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
I always hated my name. Mom said I actually kicked her in utero when she said,"if it's a boy, it will be Harry, and Harriet for a little girl".
She should've known then. I was stuck with the Harriet the ajax turned blue and Harriet the cow.
So, in college, when a friend started to call me "Rhett", I loved it. It stuck. Even my mother calls me Rhett now. Plus, it is a good pen name for a southern fiction author.

#106637 - 02/15/07 09:48 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: madhatter]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I'm wondering if Michelle could be a derivative of either Michal (my name -- and not very likely) or the feminine of Michael, which means "who is like unto God?"

Poet and essayist

#106638 - 02/15/07 10:00 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You being DIVINE, Ms M, I think you are "one who is like unto God."

My name Georgia. Meaning = earth. Or, of th earth. I was named after my Uncle George who drowned when I was 6. I was his fav...

I've always like it because of him. It made me feel special knowing I was somehow carrying on his name.

#106639 - 02/16/07 03:33 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: jawjaw]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I can't pay her enough, can I?

and on that track ... my given English name, Meredith, is derived from the Greek: Sea Goddess. Goddess, sure, but sea??? I don't even swim

Poet and essayist

#106640 - 02/16/07 04:04 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

But the sea has a calming effect on people, it soothes them, just like you, you goddess, you ....now, where's my check?

#106641 - 02/16/07 11:11 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: jawjaw]
celtic_flame Offline

or the feminine of Michael, which means "who is like unto God?".............

MEREDITH dont research any further i can live with that definision lol

celtic

#106642 - 02/16/07 11:23 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Okay, I will play. I have been avoiding this thread because my name has always been an issue with me. I am Ann, such a simple name. And full of grace, I ain't.

I was suppose to be named Ruth (and I am so glad I was not), but I guess someone objected to the name.

But why I hate my name has to do with my parents own hate of their names. They both have incredibly complicated names (they would KILL me if I divulged them) but they are poetic, in my mind. They so hated their names, that they gave us simple names.

C'est le vie!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#106643 - 03/25/07 03:12 PM Love it...Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: celtic_flame]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Gimster,
I love the name Ramona. Grandpa Jones'[from HeeHaw fame] wife's name is Ramona. She's so pretty. Last I knew, Ramona Jones still traveled with their daughter. She plays the violin and sings. Cool lady. Cool name!

#106644 - 03/25/07 08:28 PM Love it...Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I was just talking about this with a friend, the other day. I have worked with tons of Anns but I have never had a student with the name Ann. Anna, Anna, Angelika, Angela, Annggie (really!), and other derivatives, but never Ann.

My name does age me, but so do my sags and wrinkles.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#106645 - 05/21/07 12:14 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Diane...only knew one other Diane in grammar school. Not very often do I hear it...although Diana is a hispanic version...and around here where we live, they ALWAYS want to call me Diana...which I do not like. I like MY name! So I am always correcting..."with an 'E' on the end please!"

Never had a middle name, but I use my maiden name. When I was Catholic and had a confirmation name, it was Catherine. But I am not Catholic any longer so I dropped it.

#106646 - 08/09/07 04:55 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Laurel]
Dee Offline

My mother gave me her name which I HATE to this day. The meaning is cool but the name itself sucks. My middle name was better and that's what I went by...it means 'little darling'. Nah...I was a stinker most of the time so they got that wrong, too. It's interesting to read how many people don't like their names and how many do and their meanings.

#106648 - 08/09/07 08:11 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: ]
Cookie Offline

I have always liked my name. Growing up, I knew of no one else with a name like mine. I don't think it was a common name in the 50's. I was the only person with the name Crystal in my school for 12 years. (It was hard to find a key chain, or anything with that name on it! ) Name Meaning..."Cool as a Diamond that sparkles and shines. A jewel name from the English word crystal, referring to crystal glass, based on the Greek 'krustallos' meaning ice. Also a variant of Christiana, meaning Follower of Christ."

#106649 - 08/09/07 08:21 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: ]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Just signed and and saw this post. I hate my name and I was teased ALOT as a young girl. My real name is Geraldine, the feminine of Gerald, which means "rule of the spear", My middle name is Fay, which means "fairy", so I guess that means I'm a fairy with a spear! O.K., just call me cupid! Seriously though, my foster brother, Jimmy teased me constantly about my name because anyone who grew up in my generation is probably familiar with The Flip Wilson Show and his famous character, "Geraldine". I wish I could say what Jimmy would call me, but it could be offensive and considered a racial slur. I have gone by Gerri since I was 10. My second foster mother wanted my name to rhyme with her family, (no that's not a joke), it was Betty, Harvey, Eddie, Jimmy, Julie and Gerrie. I dropped the e in my teens, am I rebellious or what? Get it though, everyone had a name that ended with the e sound, isn't that just precious! NOT!
Anyway, I have to admit, Gerri was better than Geraldine so it stuck.

#106650 - 08/09/07 09:06 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gerrbeck]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I was one of LOTS of Kathys. By middle school, I decided to use my initials KT and go by Kati. That lasted through high school, but went back to Kathy as I began the work world.

My whole name is Katherine Elaine, and it means Pure Light. I love that!

#106651 - 08/11/07 08:12 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I ahve a sister named Kathy. Her real name is Kathleen. I like the KT idea. Sounded perfect for high school.

I won't say I hate my name because I was named after Mom, but I surely don't like it. My real name is DOrothea which means a gift of God so it has it's redeeming factors.

I got the name Dotsie as a child because it was also Mom's nick name as a child, but when she grew up she got Dot. I didn't want to be Dot, nor Dorothea, so Dotsie has stuck. Whatever...

#106652 - 08/11/07 10:45 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mom told me my father wanted to name me Charlamaine,(sounds like a battleship) and she freaked out so they settled on her choice of Charleen. Thank the Lord, close call, Whew!!! My middle name is Catherine after my moms youngest sister, who has never used the name and has been called Missy for as long as she has been alive...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#106653 - 08/12/07 12:11 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
My first name is Ruth, Hebrew for 'friend'. My middle name, which I hate, is Lavinia. Lavinia was the daughter of King Latinus and the wife of Aeneas, and in Roman legend is considered the ancestor of the Roman people. Who knows where my father dredged up that one, but then he wanted to name my brother Archibald Algernon. My mom balked at that one! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#106654 - 08/12/07 06:37 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Do you go by Ruth?

#106655 - 08/18/07 01:43 PM As long as...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Every name here is pretty. My adopted folks shortened my birth name. As long as none of you gals are married to a guy name Sue, enjoy!

#106656 - 08/18/07 09:00 PM Re: As long as... [Re: jabber]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I am Lola because when I was a child, I could not say "abuela" which is what I called my grandmothers. It was "Lolita" at one time when I made an effort to call my grandmother "abuelita". My grandchildren call me Lola because "abuela" does not roll off the tongue easily with them as well.

#106657 - 08/19/07 09:59 AM Re: As long as... [Re: Lola]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Well, I have decided that when I go to London...I am gonna go by the name that Lola calls me when we have chatted in person and on the phone... which is 'Poppie', that is how it looks on screen in here on the boards.....at home here it sounds like POE-PEE!!!(My first neice could not pronounce Pauline over 20 yrs ago and it stuck!! )

If you have heard the cockney accent, I think you will understand, and also if you know of the London, East end soap opera 'Eastenders'!!
I could not bear to be called POWLEEN.....no way, it would drive me nuts. Thanks Lola. xx

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#106658 - 08/19/07 12:39 PM Re: As long as... [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Po, great to see you. When do you go and how long witll you be gone?

#106659 - 08/19/07 01:33 PM Re: As long as...
Dee Offline

I LOVE EASTENDERS!!!! Haven't seen them in years...we can't get them here in the US...but, I watched that show when I lived in England. I'm sure it's changed a lot. I really liked Faulty Towers...John Cleese is so funny...and I just learned that his wife at the time, Connie, is American...had no idea...she spoke with what I thougth was a perfect English accent.

#106660 - 10/12/07 01:32 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade?
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I just got around to reading this entire post on names....such fun learning everyone's real name, the meaning and how they feel about it. After 50-something years, I've finally made peace with my name. Growing up, I absolutely hated it and asked my Mom constantly "Why?!" My mother had this thing for the name Janie. As a child, she named all her dolls that! So after 2 boys, she was convinced that #3 was also a boy so she had Christopher in mind. My Dad, knowing how much she wanted a Janie, presented her/me with a new bureau at Christmas (one month before I was born) with a card that read "Merry Christmas, Janie." She was touched but very sure he'd be disappointed. When the old doc came out and told Dad "it's a girl" my Dad said "I know!!" And the rest is history. Still, I felt so traumatized because at the tender age of 15 I had to listen to that old shampoo tv commercial that said "Plain Jane, a failure!" It stuck with me. My husband has made the comment (without thinking) referring to an antique car as a "Plain Jane." lol He always feels so bad but it makes me laugh now! I'm at peace with Jane Marie. It's the feminine of John, meaning gracious gift of God. How good is that?

#106661 - 10/13/07 10:53 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jane, I have a dear friend whose name is Jean Marie. I love that name. Therefore, I also like Jane MArie. DO you ever go by that?

My name and my three children's names all mean a gift of God. We can add you to the pack!

#106662 - 10/14/07 12:50 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
My name is so Italian, I had no chance! My parents used names on my and connected them together. I am very Italian, with one quarter of French in me. My name means "noble traveler," and my middle name means things like "Holy," and religious meanings. My parents were very old country so they named their children accordingly. There was a "Gina Renee," and and "Elsa Nadine," and a "Victor Ugo." I was the middle child as my sister died when she was very young, and she was older than me. I was the perfect middle child and displayed all the traits. I think I still do. I was almost named "Etra," and then "Nadia." I was saved, ( I guess,) from those names by an older woman whom my father met right before I was born who so impressed him with her life, (she was very elderly,) that he and my mother wanted her name to carry on. It was spelled by my mother though, and is usually spelled "AnneLise." My spelling is, again, over-the-top Italian.

No chance of "passing," here. Then again, I look French/Italian and everyone who meets me guesses that is what I am...

Great thread!
dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved