The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 197 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#106646 - 08/09/07 04:55 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Laurel]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
My mother gave me her name which I HATE to this day. The meaning is cool but the name itself sucks. My middle name was better and that's what I went by...it means 'little darling'. Nah...I was a stinker most of the time so they got that wrong, too. It's interesting to read how many people don't like their names and how many do and their meanings.

#106648 - 08/09/07 08:11 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: ]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have always liked my name. Growing up, I knew of no one else with a name like mine. I don't think it was a common name in the 50's. I was the only person with the name Crystal in my school for 12 years. (It was hard to find a key chain, or anything with that name on it! ) Name Meaning..."Cool as a Diamond that sparkles and shines. A jewel name from the English word crystal, referring to crystal glass, based on the Greek 'krustallos' meaning ice. Also a variant of Christiana, meaning Follower of Christ."

#106649 - 08/09/07 08:21 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: ]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Just signed and and saw this post. I hate my name and I was teased ALOT as a young girl. My real name is Geraldine, the feminine of Gerald, which means "rule of the spear", My middle name is Fay, which means "fairy", so I guess that means I'm a fairy with a spear! O.K., just call me cupid! Seriously though, my foster brother, Jimmy teased me constantly about my name because anyone who grew up in my generation is probably familiar with The Flip Wilson Show and his famous character, "Geraldine". I wish I could say what Jimmy would call me, but it could be offensive and considered a racial slur. I have gone by Gerri since I was 10. My second foster mother wanted my name to rhyme with her family, (no that's not a joke), it was Betty, Harvey, Eddie, Jimmy, Julie and Gerrie. I dropped the e in my teens, am I rebellious or what? Get it though, everyone had a name that ended with the e sound, isn't that just precious! NOT!
Anyway, I have to admit, Gerri was better than Geraldine so it stuck.

#106650 - 08/09/07 09:06 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gerrbeck]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was one of LOTS of Kathys. By middle school, I decided to use my initials KT and go by Kati. That lasted through high school, but went back to Kathy as I began the work world.

My whole name is Katherine Elaine, and it means Pure Light. I love that!

#106651 - 08/11/07 08:12 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I ahve a sister named Kathy. Her real name is Kathleen. I like the KT idea. Sounded perfect for high school.

I won't say I hate my name because I was named after Mom, but I surely don't like it. My real name is DOrothea which means a gift of God so it has it's redeeming factors.

I got the name Dotsie as a child because it was also Mom's nick name as a child, but when she grew up she got Dot. I didn't want to be Dot, nor Dorothea, so Dotsie has stuck. Whatever...

#106652 - 08/11/07 10:45 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mom told me my father wanted to name me Charlamaine,(sounds like a battleship) and she freaked out so they settled on her choice of Charleen. Thank the Lord, close call, Whew!!! My middle name is Catherine after my moms youngest sister, who has never used the name and has been called Missy for as long as she has been alive...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#106653 - 08/12/07 12:11 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
My first name is Ruth, Hebrew for 'friend'. My middle name, which I hate, is Lavinia. Lavinia was the daughter of King Latinus and the wife of Aeneas, and in Roman legend is considered the ancestor of the Roman people. Who knows where my father dredged up that one, but then he wanted to name my brother Archibald Algernon. My mom balked at that one! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#106654 - 08/12/07 06:37 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you go by Ruth?

#106655 - 08/18/07 01:43 PM As long as...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Every name here is pretty. My adopted folks shortened my birth name. As long as none of you gals are married to a guy name Sue, enjoy!

#106656 - 08/18/07 09:00 PM Re: As long as... [Re: jabber]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I am Lola because when I was a child, I could not say "abuela" which is what I called my grandmothers. It was "Lolita" at one time when I made an effort to call my grandmother "abuelita". My grandchildren call me Lola because "abuela" does not roll off the tongue easily with them as well.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved