The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#106596 - 02/05/07 01:59 AM Your name, sign of the decade?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well my first name is most definitely a 1950's girl's name. It fact, it sounds abit flatfooted with my last name. Too bad it wasn't a 2 syllable first name. But at least, it is an approachable Anglo/French first name to...match up with an exotic sounding Asian last name.

And my first name in Chinese is beautiful and common. It translates as "Precious" or "Treasured". And middle name means Orchid, a very common name given to Chinese females.

Next sister's first Chinese name translates as "Twilight" or "Dusk".

And parents should explain to a child the meaning of their name, particularily if the child's name sounds "foreign". I found through friends....um 20 years later, what my names meant. Guess parents didn't think it was important to explain.

#106597 - 02/05/07 04:34 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: orchid]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Kathy . . . I went to school with so many Kathys! For my high school years I was called Kati (my initials were KT) and that helped to seperate me from the others. My bestest friend still calls me Kati, but she's the only one left.

My name is Katherine Elaine, which means Pure Light. I love that!

#106598 - 02/05/07 05:33 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
My 1st name is the feminine form of a Spanish male name. What it means, I do not know. I do know I hate it, always have. 2nd name is almost as bad. 3 letters. Neither fit me, IMO. Mother says she chose the name for me because a dear and beautiful friend of hers had it. I ask, why me?

I honestly believe names have an effect on people's lives, depending on where they live, who they associate with, and (I'll include because of this thread) when you live. My name drops to the floor like a heavy rock. And, when people call it out, they have an image of the person behind it.

An example of timing: I remember when I chose the name for our oldest daughter. When I shared it with my DH's maternal grandmother, she made a disgusted face and said, "that's a slave girl's name." My spirit plummeted. This was my older sister's name, my maternal grandmother's name and her mother's name (and now one of my granddaughter's name). And, I loved it... still do! She was pulling from her life experiences when she made the hurtful comment. It didn't change my mind, tho... I named my first baby Amanda.

#106599 - 02/05/07 07:29 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I was almost Michelle, but another baby girl was born on our block 2 weeks before me, and she was Michelle, so my mother decided I needed a different name. I was 20 or 25 years old before I met another Meredith.

I'm named after my maternal grandfather Michael. My Hebrew name is Michal, which it would've been with the English name Michelle too. Michal was one of the wives of Biblical King David. It also means pineapple.

Jewish babies are traditionally given their Hebrew name, usually in honor of a close deceased relative. Then an "American" name is chosen. Anything with the same first letter would do.

Poet and essayist

#106600 - 02/05/07 09:20 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
My name is derived from French...it's latin meaning is 'little one'.....being the youngest of five and weighing in at a tiny 2lb 4 oz...that's appropriate I suppose. My second name is Patricia!!! Too much pethedine mee thinks!!!
When I was choosing my confirmation name....I got in a wee bit of trouble with the nuns....we had the Dean of our church come to see us some time before this big day...he was a sweet elderly gent who had a wee soft spot for me and my mischevious ways . We were all stood in line waiting for him to ask us our chosen name and our explanation why. One girl down the line was adamant that she wanted Elvis as her name , which caused a stir...but not as much as me!! When he got to me he smiled softly and went on with his enquiries... I announced Bernadette proudly...and he smiled some more, telling me it was a good choice, it bieng after a saint...
when I replied 'yes......after Saint Bernadette Mc Alliskey Reverend' ...(Devlin...lead woman of the Irish Civil Rights Movement of the 60's),he creased up over his stick....laughing so hearty...he had to sit down! After he left, I got the scelping of my little life!!!! Well, the Dean and I thought it was funny.

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#106601 - 02/05/07 12:32 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Poppie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yip names and the meanings are important....but what a presure and responcibility chosing for a child lol...

in relashion to the child Lucien (loo-C-in)
His 1st name means "bringer of light" the second means first warrier and the 3 rd means song at dawn....yes he has three first names....when you put them together his first and second names initial L.A.C.E a butifull delicate but incrediblay strong fabrike...We covered all bases...

People generally think it's irish or italion but it's greek/french...iv an italion second name so he got a mouthfull of names and a liftime of spelling to do but it's butifull and i hope he thinks so when hes older...His names may fit with the other italion names in the family so he dosen't stand out too much..

...but it was chosen for how it sounded and more importantly what it ment...the 2 went hand in hand...

I don't mind my first name but i don't think i suite it some people are surprised i just see it as a fairly common name so don't get the surprise...
I was nearly macala which would of been ok but then again i was also nearly Tonie which would of been a disaster lol

maybee i got things too be thankfull for lol

celtic_flame

#106602 - 02/05/07 01:37 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: celtic_flame]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I like both my first and second names. I don't know where or why I got my first name. It means "plateau", but I prefer being the biblical "Rose of Sharon". I haven't met many other "Sharon's" in my lifetime. But my second name (Clare) comes from my Mom's Mom, who I adored with every fiber of my being...so I've always cherished my second name as a kindred-connection to her.

(Maya Angelou)

#106603 - 02/05/07 08:31 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My name means "Victory" or "Victorious"

My real name is Vicki. Not Victoria. However, my father wanted to name me Victoria, but when it came time to fill out the birth certificate he couldn't spell Victoria, so spelled Vicki instead. My mother was exhausted and asleep after giving birth to me in a breech position.

My middle name is Marie. I was named after my mother's mother. I loved my grandma. I'm glad I was named after her.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#106604 - 02/05/07 10:51 PM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
My father named me. He didn't want me to be a Sarah or a Sandra, so he named me Saundra so I would be special. I think he got different! And I've spent my whole life saying, "With a U!" I don't know my Hebrew name (can't remember) and no one is left alive who can tell me.

My middle name, Miriam, is biblical. Miriam was the oldest sister of Moses and Aaron. The three siblings were the leaders of the Children of Israel during the Exodus from Egypt. Miriam was known to be a prophetess and an ancestor of creative geniuses. So? I'll be happy to lead people to good dental health when my book is released (whenever that will be).

I love my names!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#106605 - 02/06/07 01:33 AM Re: Your name, sign of the decade? [Re: Saundra]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I actually like my name. Pamela. It's greek and means all honey. There were a ton of Pam's when I went to school. We always had to go my our first and last names to keep us straight.

We had a bunch of Kathys too. There was only one Cathy the rest spelled their name with a "K".

I wasn't so crazy about my middle name when I was a kid but it's grown on me. Kay. It's my mother's middle name. Don't know it's meaning. Probably a derivitive of Kathy.

Laurel

Edited by Laurel (02/06/07 01:34 AM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved