The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 80 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105108 - 01/28/07 01:10 PM Re: Supplements [Re: browser57]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I take a whole long list of stuff. Started on most of this after I had my hysterectomy 6 years ago. Prescription meds........I take a blood pressure med (Verapamil) not for high blood pressure, which I've never had, but because it works on my trigeminal neuralgia pain. I take Premarin for hormone replacement and just started on Zetia for high choleserol 2 weeks ago.
Supplements.....I generally buy whatever brand I have coupons for, none of them seem to bother me. Every morning I take a multi-vitamin, COQ10, vitamin E, primrose oil, flaxseed oil, vitamin C, glucosomine, 81 mg aspirin, calcium. At dinner time I take fish oil and acidopholis. At bedtime I take calcium with magnesium and zinc (since I started on that, my bone density has improved!) and another vitamin E.
I started on the fish oil about a year ago hoping it would lower cholesterol but it didn't work. Not really sure if I should continue to take it along with the Zetia but havent' made up my mind about that yet. I tried the red yeast rice but it bothered me.....made me feel like I was speeding along and nervous and shaky.
Yes, it seems like a lot, but after I had my hysterectomy, I couldn't take hormones for 6 months because I'd had so much endometriosis. I took black cohosh for several years but stopped taking that recently......just decided I probably didn't need it anymore, and I haven't noticed any difference. Anyway during that time my doc suggested trying the primrose oil, flaxseed oil, and several of the other things, and I continue to take them because I feel good most of the time and figure all these supplements must be contributing to that. I started on the COQ10 because I'd read that it could help with the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sometimes when we go on trips or have company and I get off schedule as far as my supplements (miss taking them for a few days or whatever) I can tell a difference. I feel better when I take them on a regular schedule.

#105109 - 01/28/07 04:44 PM Re: Supplements [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I use Lifescript supplements http://www.lifescript.com/vitamins

They provide a personalized vitamin and supplement program based on an analysis of a personal health survey you take for them.

For me, I take a

Body Resculpt (Green Tea and other supplements to manage cell health and metabolism to support healthy weight management)
Calcium Complete
Daily Solution Pro (a combination of vitamins, minerals and herbs)
Joint Guard (Glucosamine and Chondroitin)
Stress Guard (Herbal extracts and essential vitamins to help soothe and calm the body for reduced stress and tension and improved sleep)
Women's Ultra (Manages female hormonal fluctuations associated with PMS and menopause through the benefits of soy, goldenseal, and black cohosh)

I also take four fiber capsules a day along with Lysine for my immune system and Biotin to help promote carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism (along with great hair and nails)

I also take one aspirin a day for bursitis

And finally, I take a myriad of prescription pills for various diseases and disorders. I'm taking meds morning, noon, dinner, and evening.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#105110 - 01/28/07 10:31 PM Re: Supplements [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I haven't taken anything. I have been recommended to take a calcium supplement and at times, iron. But haven't gotten around to it.

But yes, I do eat tofu 1-2 times per week. Nothing new since it's a old, old food from childhood for me.

I have spoken to a sister who is family and emergency services physician...and also to another sister who is licensed pharmacist at a major teaching hospital.... only take supplements that you absolutely need. There are alot of pharmcokinetics, or drug-drug interactions that even the scientific community do not have all the answers.

#105111 - 01/29/07 05:51 AM Re: Supplements [Re: orchid]
pawm Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I recently started taking a multi-vit/min -- for the added assurance of getting all the nutrients I need;

calcium chews only for those days I do not eat foods with calcium -- important for maintaining bone health since we lose calcium as we age -- as well as to help the blood pressure stay within normal range;

somedays I take omega-3 fatty acids -- to minimize inflammation and one type of these fats is concentrated in the eye and brain so I wanted to make sure I have enough to support memory and vision -- the other type supports heart health

And some days I take vitamin C to help maintain my immune system during the cold months.

Orchid, I agree that there are quite a bit of herb/drug/nutrient interactions and we must know what we are doing when we take these supplements. I research and write a lot about this area -- one reason is because there is so much misinformation.

#105112 - 01/29/07 02:09 PM Re: Supplements [Re: pawm]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh my gracious, you all know so much about this topic. Do any of you get Prevention magazine? I think I should subscribe to it.

#105113 - 01/30/07 07:35 PM Re: Supplements
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
multitude of multivitamins....
it's a disipline in itself....

evening primrose and a multivitamin and mineral...

got kiddie one a day vit c for child when he older then try the omega oils for him, can't get him to eat oily fish...

balanced diet easy enough but stuff like road fumes getting to fruit and veg that in local shop all change the contents even if they are fresh....i take more in winter and less in summer...helps keep coughs and colds away.....oh ecconachia as a preventitiv or boost for immune system when i feel a bug or something comming on.....

celtic_flame

#105114 - 02/01/07 05:01 AM Re: Supplements [Re: celtic_flame]
Happy Birthday meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
multi-vitamin
1500 mgs. calcium
800 mgs. motrin
325 mg. aspirin
5 mg. biotin
400 mgs. riboflavin
revivex/celadrin (for joints)
right now 3 vitamin C pills a day for my cold
will start megadose magnesium soon

Poet and essayist

#105115 - 02/01/07 08:47 AM Re: Supplements [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I swear by vitamin E ! When I take that I have no knee pain. I also take magnesium and calcium.

And a few spoonful of laughs per day,
is great to chase those blues away.

#105116 - 02/05/07 10:08 PM Re: Supplements [Re: Edelweiss]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I take wild salmon fish oil, multi vit for 50+, flax, cromium, Vit C, selenium and St. John's Wort.
I was wondering if anyone takes iron supplements. I am always tired and have fibroids. I bleed heavily that time of the month and for a week after I am so exhausted. I work out and eat a healthy diet but just bought an iron supplement today in hopes that this will help. I want to be careful not to take to much though so was wondering if others take this supplement and what your experiences are.
Kate

#105117 - 02/06/07 01:34 AM Re: Supplements [Re: pawm]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
One question asked was the brands that have the highest quality. My concern is taking too much omega 3 because the fat can cause fat.

Any words?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved