The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 64 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100436 - 12/31/06 10:08 PM Re: Heading to Key West [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think you were wise to cut it short. No sense in spending the money if you aren't haveing the best time. Maybe you can use that money for something fun in Charleston. Have you been there before? My sister lived there several years back. It's an awesome place to visit. What a fun atmosphere. And with a bunch of gals! You'll have a blast.

Sometimes when I see disabled people while I'm out and about, I don't know how to act. Some want to be totally independent and are insulted when offered help. Others seem like they appreciate the help. What do you recommend?

crosstitch, aren't you proud of yourself that you can recognize what it is you like and don't like at this stage of the game, and then be able to do what makes you happiest...

I was heading out to the movies alone today. That's something I didn't do several years ago. I really don't mind and actually even enjoy seeing certain movies alone. When my youngest son realized I was going alone, he said he would go with me and he did. So we walked into town and saw The Pursuit of Happiness together. No doubt I loved having him with me, but I am also at the point in my life that I will do certain things alone if I want to. Before I worried too much about what others thought.

#100437 - 12/31/06 11:59 PM Re: Heading to Key West
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
My husband has been in a wheelchair for over 40 years. He was hurt when he was in the Navy, in a car accident. He's a C5-C6 incomplete quadraplegic. (meaning he has some use of his hands and arms, and no use of his legs).
As for how to act when you're out and about and see a disabled person......it's really hard to say, if you don't know that person. Usually I just ask "would you like some help?" if I see that they seem to be struggling opening a door or reaching something on a shelf at the grocery store for instance. This gives them the option of saying yes or no. The important thing to remember is that they are people.....and just like able-bodied people, some of them may be kinda rude in their replies, but I always figure asking if I can help is better than just reaching over them and doing whatever for them....if they appreciate the offer they'll let you know, and if they don't want help, they'll let you know that too. Having spent a lot of time around disabled people in the last 20 years I've found that for the most part they appreciate the help, but if they don't want it, they'll let you know.
I was really kind of kidding above when I said the couple that we spent time with in Key West didn't know "wheelchair ettiquette".......but the fact is that we spent an entire day walking around with them, with me pushing Brian the entire time (on uneven sidewalks and up and down ramps to avoid stairs) and I was kinda surprised that neither one of them even said "Hey why don't you let me push him for a while?" which is what usually happens in a case like that (and what I would have done if the situation were reversed).
And YES I am glad that I've finally reached the stage where I didn't have a problem getting out of a situation we weren't enjoying!! I used to waste a lot of time and energy worrying about what others thought. I still try to consider their feelings, but in the end, I do what's right for ME!!

#100438 - 01/01/07 02:33 AM Re: Heading to Key West [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Thank you for answering Crossstitch. What a good heart you must have.
And as far as; I quote; "doing what's right for me", that's the up side of getting older, isn't it? I've developed that way myself, don't want to waste my time anymore.

#100439 - 01/01/07 07:14 AM Re: Heading to Key West [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Crosstitch! I live in Alabama and so does Jane Carroll. And if you're talking about the Unclaim Baggage place in Scottsboro, ALA then it's about an hour away from me. Where is the fishing tournament? Those things are biggees around these parts. The prizes amounts are huge! Let me know where you all will be, if you want. You can send me a private message, if you want to!

#100440 - 01/01/07 12:45 PM Re: Heading to Key West [Re: jawjaw]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hey JJ! I sent you a message, but I'll post here anyhow. We're not going to Scottsboro.....according to the Unclaimed Baggage Center's website they have another outlet in Boaz, which is a lot closer to Gadsden, which is where we'll be staying. The tournament is on Lake Neely Henry. An old roomate of mine lives in Bremen and we might also try to get together with her one day.
I've been to Gadsden before.....ages ago I lived in Birmingham for a couple of years, and we used to go to Gadsden and visit the park (Noccolulu Falls, I probably spelled that wrong) and a big flea market there. Hoping the weather won't be too cold......this Florida gal will probably freeze her tail off. But it's been so warm down here......that might be a nice change especially since it'll only be for a few days!!

#100441 - 01/01/07 06:38 PM Re: Heading to Key West [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yep, I know exactly where all of that is. I too lived in B'ham for a year. Hated every minute of it. But I love Gadsden. Had my first boyfriend there. I use to go every summer and stay a few weeks with my cousins. Then they (two girls) would come back home with me and my sisters and stay two weeks. Imagine our house with five daughters and two more girl cousins. What a load for Mother! Eeeek!

I sent you a reply to your messag and would love to drop over (about an hour away) and have a cup of joe. Let me know if you think you'll have time. If not, no problem. Would LOVE to meet you!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved