The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156839 - 08/19/08 12:49 PM My Prodigal Squirrel
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Since early Spring, we've had four squirrels gracing our backyard. One in particular has become our favourite. He's a mix of brown, red and grey, with a raccoon-looking tail and a white underbelly. Very distinctive. He stands on the garbage can, looking in our back door, with both paws on his breast (which I've come to understand to mean "I'm hungry"). When we're sitting on the couch, he comes right up to the window beside the couch and taps gently on the window, then hops over to the porch waiting. He knows we'll answer!

Anyway, we've become very fond of these little guys, along with the 20+ birds that congregate at the feeder (when the feeder is empty, they all line up on both fences and send one of the males over to knock on our window with his belly!)

For the past two days, all of the squirrels have been missing. It surprised me how worried - and saddened I was! They've been such a joy to have around. They've become our little family. I know they don't live forever, and with all of the cats around, it's a miracle they've lasted this long. But last night I decided to say a little prayer for them anyway, reminding God how they've helped me rediscover my joy in living and my gratitude for His simple yet profound treasures of creation.

Well, I opened my blinds this morning and there he was, standing on the front step, waiting. I was so overjoyed to see him. I still don't know where the others are, but am grateful to see my prodigal squirrel safe and knocking on my window today!

(Maya Angelou)

#156843 - 08/19/08 01:10 PM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Oh EH,
How I loved that post about the prodigal squirrel. It's a lovely time of year because of the hummingbirds, the yellow birds, baby deer, rabbits and squirrels. Xena likes to chase squirrels up trees and deer out of her yard. But God's creatures are awesome and something to behold. Hubby and I even have a blackbird we call "Blacky." That's original. Right? Eagle, I love your heart!!!!

#156897 - 08/20/08 08:55 AM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Eagle, I had a lump in my throat reading your post about your squirrel. I love all animals, all of them and over the years they have brought me so much joy and peace and yes, sometimes even sorrow. Squirrels love nut, they are alot like stray cats, if you feed them they keep coming back as long as they can. Bless you and your new pet.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#156933 - 08/20/08 12:57 PM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

(Maya Angelou)

#156935 - 08/20/08 01:11 PM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
EH,
Now that's a cute, little dude! Nice pose. I think he has family
in our backyard.

#156936 - 08/20/08 01:40 PM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Jabber. He is a cute one. There were three of them (two brown-gray and one black) waiting out there this morning.

Hubby's been working in the backyard all morning...the feeder is only about two feet away from where hubby's working, but that hasn't kept them (or the prodigal squirrel) away!

(Maya Angelou)

#156937 - 08/20/08 01:48 PM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

More of our backyard family...there were about 8 more sitting on the fence waiting for their turn!

(Maya Angelou)

#156975 - 08/20/08 09:49 PM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: Eagle Heart]
savvygrandmother Offline

Loc: texas
What a great story - Sounds like he missed you as much as you missed him. I'm glad he returned home and you were there to greet him!

"Grandmothers are a new kind of breed. I know I am one. Baby boomers are changing the face of grandparenting for the 21st century." www.martynorman.com, http://savvygrandmothers.blogspot.com

#157024 - 08/21/08 06:46 AM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: savvygrandmother]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Eagle, that's so neat. Even though the animals are wild, they seem like family. I worry if I don't see my lizards for a while.

Poet and essayist

#157120 - 08/22/08 01:28 AM Re: My Prodigal Squirrel [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Eagle,

We have a little chipmunk that has a home in a cement walk . The is a small hole in the cement walk in front of our porch as you walk down the stair that needed to be packed and he has made his home in their and peeks out once in awhile and now I can't fill the hole in that is his home for the winter and have seen him peek out early in the morning . It would kill him so I guess I will leave a hole their for awhile . He peaks out at my daughter in the morning as if to say "Hello" . Love the squirrl and bird picture .

Renee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved