The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125462 - 08/13/07 12:56 PM Children and church
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Ever get involved in Vacation Bible School? My church is starting a Vacation Bible School today, for the whole week, and I've been busy decorating my classroom, which I named "The Craft Cave". I'll be doing the crafts with children from 0-5 yrs. It's an adventure! We've transformed the church, decorating it to look as caves where we explore and search for the "Truth". "Quest for truth" is our theme and it has been exhausting but fun (the decorating part). We pray many children from the community learn about Jesus and his love for them too! So far, about 120 kids registered!
NABBW & NAWW

#125463 - 08/13/07 01:01 PM Re: Children and church [Re: Songbird]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
What a cool idea, Song! I went to Vacation Bible School for a week when I was about 7 years old. To this day, I remember how much fun it was. Funny though, the memory that stands out the most was a guy playing music on his saw...I think it had something to do with "making a joyful noise unto the Lord"...it wasn't the most joyful sound, but it certainly was memorable!

Your idea of creating a cave where the children will explore and search for the Truth is sure to be fun and memorable for all the children in your program. I'll be praying for/with you all week that those little hearts will see and receive all the blessings waiting for them there in that Quest!

(Maya Angelou)

#125464 - 08/13/07 01:26 PM Re: Children and church [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Thanks for your prayers, Eagle!

Cool! My uncle plays a Saw so beautifully! It is a real saw. And it is just wonderful to listen to the hymns he plays. It is something I've never seen anyone else do.
NABBW & NAWW

#125465 - 08/18/07 10:06 PM Re: Children and church [Re: Songbird]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i never seen anyone play a saw i think maybee onlie older black and white comidians, maybee larel and hardie,

anyway, the cave idea dose sound good hope it all works out well sobngbird, it certinlie is a lot of kids.

#125466 - 08/19/07 01:24 PM Re: Children and church [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Song, how was your week?

Our church does an outdoor VBS every summer. When the kids were little and all attended, I always worked it. I led either the stream walk or the games. It was always a fun, exciting, exhausting and touching week. We went with the kids on the bus, about 40 minutes away. Then we were outside ALL day and came home on the bus. Many of the kids slept on the way home. Every year we had a theme and everything tied in with the theme. It was an excellent opportunity for multi-generational faith and fun..

#125467 - 08/19/07 02:51 PM Re: Children and church
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I went to Vacation Bible School at my church all through my youth. It was for 2 hours a day, & was 2 weeks long. We made crafts, had bible studies, learned a few songs that we would sing to the congregation on Sunday morning, played andy-over, & had cookies/cupcakes and kool-aid for our morning snack. I have wonderful memories of those VBS days.

#125468 - 08/20/07 04:41 PM Re: Children and church [Re: Cookie]
Songbird Offline

My week was exhausting but I feel great to have contributed to something like this. I've always worked with kids in church, since I was about 14. I miss it nowadays, cause due to my ministry outings I can't be a Bible School teacher now.

But this week we had fun and it was touching! The theme was "Quest for truth"-Our main verse: "Jesus, the way, the truth, the life". Kids went to six different stations where they had Bible story, Bible craft, Bible edible craft, games,Bible challenge (learning a verse)and a snack station too! Each station reinforces the theme and/or lesson of the day.

I am already missing my classroom. We had a lot of fun decorating it. The Sabbath school teacher liked it so much that asked us to leave the wall decorations.

We had about 40 preschool kids and about 60 older ones.
NABBW & NAWW

#125469 - 08/21/07 03:46 AM Re: Children and church [Re: Songbird]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
That all sounds fun and reminds me of the wee bit volentrie work i get to do at corriemeala. I missed it this year becouse i was moving house...still their might be time before the years out. Not as much fun as in the summer due to weather. Mind you its done nuthing but rain heer all summer so maybee their be no real diffrences afterall. see how it works out.

it all sounds exitting soungbird and one can get that impression from reading your post. Tired but happie, rest and recover well.

#125470 - 08/22/07 03:30 PM Re: Children and church [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Song, you are so right about being exhausted from working with kids. It takes lots of energy to keep them busy, happy and learning...and there is the expectation with VBS. It's not like school.

Those kids were blessed to have you as their leader. It sounds like it's right up your alley, meaning it's where your spiritual gifts are.

#125471 - 08/22/07 08:43 PM Re: Children and church
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
On another topic....I had a change in my work schedule today which gave me the opportunity to sit outside this morning and watch the birds and squirrels play. I kept hearing a lot of activity in a tree, looked up and saw squirrels building a nest. I've never seen that. I have seen birds building nests many times (as in my mailbox each year). This was my first opportunity to watch the squirrels at work. They left quite a mess under the magnolia tree. It was so sweet to watch though, they did quite a good job. Just a good way to start the day.

P.S. Does this mean that cool weather is coming soon?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved