The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#122923 - 07/07/07 09:35 PM Independence Day Story
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I wasn't sure where to post this, so Dotsie, please feel free to move it if you think it is more appropriate elsewhere.

We had the most incredible experience this holiday week, and I thought I would share it with all of you. Our daughter (who works as a Communications Director at the White House) was able to procure passes for us to view the fireworks from the South Lawn. We were able to get seats just on the other side of the driveway of the South Portico, and had a terrific view of not only the fireworks, but of the President and his guests when they came out to greet the staffers and their families. The Marine Band played rousing patriotic songs, costumed characters dressed as Presidents greeted the crowd, and children were able to get their faces painted with flags and symbols of freedom. Some of the President's honored guests included a couple dozen wounded veterans from Iraq, who had seats with their families just a few feet from us. The President saluted them when he came out on the balcony, and they all saluted back.

But this story is more than our evening on the White House lawn.
Several months ago just before the Christmas holidays, also while visiting our daughter and son-in-law in DC., we stopped by Arlington Cemetery. We paid a visit to the graves of parents of a dear friend, then kept walking to Section 60, where the Iraqi and Afghanistan war dead are buried. Sitting at the grave of one fallen hero was a soldier in army camoflage. He sat on the cold, hard ground, framed by the Christmas wreaths that decorated the graves, just rocking back and forth. He never spoke, he never moved, except for the constant rocking. Occasionally he would place his hand on the top of the headstone, then would continue his vigil. We were so taken with this young man, but did not feel we should intrude on his grief. We walked around the cemetery for over an hour, but were drawn back to Section 60. Sure enough, there he still was. This time we made note of the name on the headstone, making sure not to disturb the soldier. The name engraved on the headstone was Cpl. Matthew P. Wallace, US Army. December 27, 1983-July 21, 2005.

When we got home, I did some research on the internet, and found a link to an email address for Matthew's mother Mary. I contacted her and told her what we had seen. That same day she received another email from another visitor to Section 60 who described the same scene...only 3 days later than when we had been there. This soldier had spent at least three entire days at the grave of his buddy. Mary was able to do some research on her own, and discovered that the soldier sitting on the ground by her son's grave was his roommate in Iraq. She was able to track him down, and they have been corresponding over these last several months.

Mary and I have developed an email friendship ourselves, and find that we have much in common. This week, while back in DC, my husband and I were able to meet Mary and her husband Keith for the first time over a long lunch. We talked about everything under the sun, while enjoying the best crabcake I have ever eaten overlooking the wharf on a beautiful summer day in Maryland.

Out of our discussions has come the idea of writing a book that might be of help to those people who have either lost a loved one or who are dealing with a wounded soldier as a result of the War on Terror. Mary wrote an essay after her visit to Arlington on Memorial Day, entitled "The Fellowship of the Devastated." I believe that would be a great title for this book. Our plan (in its very early stages) is to contact people who have suffered loss in this war, and invite them to share whatever experience they wish. It might be how they dealt with the "firsts", when they felt it was right to go back to work, or when it was not, how to get around some government red tape, how they dealt with anything at all they they feel would help someone else cope. Mary and I will then write the stories and put together the work. Our mission is to write this book with no political overtones; it is simply meant as a tribute to the ones who have sacrificed and hopefully be able to help someone else who unfortunately might find themselves on this journey. It is our intent to find a worthy charity to which to donate at least a portion of the profits.

Sitting with my new friend on July 3rd was an inspiration. Sitting on the White House lawn on Independence Day and sharing fireworks with American heroes was beyond description. As I wrote in an email to the parents of another young man who gave his life for our freedom, our brave soldiers might be the very best of us, but they come from awfully good stock in the first place.

Some photos:

Marine Band on South Lawn

Wounded soldiers watching the fife and drum corps

President and Mrs. Bush and former President and Mrs. Bush greet the crowd with their guests

Edited by jawjaw (07/08/07 05:45 PM)

#122924 - 07/08/07 01:51 AM Re: Independence Day Story [Re: WizardofZA]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
What a beautiful story...and beautiful pictures...thanks for sharing

#122925 - 07/08/07 01:58 AM Re: Independence Day Story [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This was a beautiful story. If there's anyway you can reduce the size of the pictures, it would be even better. Its very difficult reading the story because of the width. Just a suggestion.

#122926 - 07/08/07 04:26 PM Re: Independence Day Story [Re: jawjaw]
WizardofZA Offline

Sorry, I didn't realize the pics would come out so big. If someone can tell me how to edit a post, I'll be happy to change it...the only thing I can find is that editing must be done within 6 hours of the original post, and we obviously are past that. Thanks!

http://www.thefellowshipofthedevastated.com

www.arivaevents.com

#122927 - 07/09/07 01:29 AM Re: Independence Day Story [Re: WizardofZA]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
What an inspiring story! Wiz, I'm sure it's people like you who give the families of our fallen heroes a reason to go on.

God bless you and your new friendship.

laurapoplin.com

#122928 - 07/11/07 04:24 PM Re: Independence Day Story [Re: Daisygirl]
WizardofZA Offline

Thanks for your responses. I have been advised by some people who have "been there" that the first thing we should do is research the charity to which we want to donate any potential proceeds of such a book. Does anybody have any suggestions of organizations that you know have been helpful to both those wHo have lost someone and those who have had someone wounded? The America Supports You site has several links, all of which I have been checking out. One that sticks out right now is Fisher House, which provides temporary housing for families that need to get to hospitals where their loved ones are being treated.

Once we settle on a charity, we will get a website up and running, and start soliciting stories. I think we are going to go the route of self-publishing, and from my research, it appears Virtual Bookworm or Lulu might work best for us. Any thoughts on these or others?

http://www.thefellowshipofthedevastated.com

www.arivaevents.com

#122929 - 07/11/07 04:36 PM Re: Independence Day Story [Re: WizardofZA]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wow, this is amazing. I amy have the perfect person to connect you with. It is a friend of mine who also lost a son in Iraq. I met her at Curves and we exercised with each other many times. We became friends and I listened to her stories about her son who was serving. Then sure enough, one day while I was sitting in the dentist chair with my nitrous oxide and headphones, I heard about a soldeir who had been killed and I recognized the name as her son. It was a horrendous way to learn.

Anyway, she originally intended to write a book and had the attention of a couple major publishing houses in NY. I can't recall what happened but she then ran for the House of Delegates in his memory/honor becasue she wanted to make a difference.

Lots more to share, but why don't you email me with your email addresses and phone numbers, and a brief synopsis of your book idea? I will pass it along to her. How does that sound? She is an incredible woman...

Have you read Women Write the War? You might want to see what that woman has done.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved