The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#12912 - 12/25/04 12:37 AM Farmers
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Last Sunday at Hollywood Farmers' Market was the annual food bash, where farmers make or donate a variety of foods for the crafters. (Yes, you have to have a ticket for the chow line, and they're not for sale. [Wink] ) This is the farmers' way of thanking us for participating in the market. The website http://www.farmernet.com/events/one-cfm?venue_id=587 lists 90 hundred farmers, 30 bakery or prepared foods and 30 crafters selling each week, but this time of year it's at least 50 crafters.

This is my thanks to the farmers, who wake up before the crack of dawn and travel up to 400 miles to be here. I think Hollywood is the largest market of this type in Southern California. I also sell at Irvine and Palos Verdes markets which are much smaller.

This is my thanks to the farmers, a dwindling breed who work hard to bring food to our tables. A special thanks to those who eschew chemical shortcuts and raise their crops organically.

This is also thanks to all the farmers who donate food at the end of the day for a local food bank and area shelters.

And yes, I thank them personally as well.

#12913 - 12/25/04 12:39 AM Re: Farmers
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
oops, at first I said "about a hundred" and switched to 90 without deleting hundred.. it's not 90 hundred. [Roll Eyes]

#12914 - 12/25/04 02:35 AM Re: Farmers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
We should all thank the American farmers. Having grown up on a farm, I know for sure it is very hard year round work with so many risks and so many worries for so little pay, but great rewards.
It is probably much the same for crafters such as you Meredith. Farmers nourish the body and crafters nourish the soul. Both are an important part of our existence.
Thank you to both.
smile

#12915 - 12/25/04 04:01 AM Re: Farmers
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hiya MB - how kind you are to thank a farmer. I especially appreciate knowing about the farmer's thanking the artisans...I've been fighting with this little podunk farmers' market for three years to let me, a farmer!, sell my farm products at the farmers' market.

The Woman In Charge tells me I'm not selling food so my farm products "don't count". You remember the old refrain, a fool convinced against her will remains a fool still...

Thanks, MB!

#12916 - 12/26/04 05:28 PM Re: Farmers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, thanks for sharing the link. I browsed and found only 2 pictures. I was hoping to see more!

Great idea to thank the farmers. What would we do without them?

I attend our Farmer's Market most Thursdays in season. We are off season now and I miss it so.

Do you enjoy selling in that atmosphere? I bet you do.

By the way, I gave my last set of ear rings and necklace yesterday. Another women fell in love with your work! I saw three of my friends this season after I gave them their gift. They were all adorning your lovely jewelry with pride! [Wink]

[ December 26, 2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved