The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#128914 - 10/08/07 02:01 PM This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This past weekend was one of the most dreaded milestones in this grief journey. It was our Canadian Thanksgiving and for the past 20+ years it has also been the weekend for my family's annual Thanksgiving Reunion. But with Gary's death and another ongoing family crisis having devastated our family this past year, there is virtually no family left to reunion with. Very sad and painful, having been such a close-knit family. We are scattered & broken, but there is nothing we can do at this point in time except pray for healing and restoration.

So I was dreading this Thanksgiving (and still dreading Christmas), because it has traditionally been a very fun, loving, much-anticipated family-filled weekend for as long as any of us can remember. The drastic difference between this year and last year is stark and unbearable.

But thanks to my hubby's family, it ended up being a full and fun weekend anyway. My step-daughter and I took my granddaughter out for a day of lunch and shopping, then the whole family came for supper. We had such fun with our 10-month grandson here - he & I spent a lot of time sitting at the piano...I could feel the joy rippling through his body as he "played" - so much so that it rippled right into me too!

And today my best friend from Nova Scotia is coming to stay for a few days. So the Lord was very kind and caring to fill the weekend with so much activity and joy that I barely had time to think about what was missing. I'm very grateful that this long-dreaded hurdle is behind me.

As for Christmas, we've booked a Christmas cruise through the Panama Canal - hopefully that will also ease us through another very painful milestone.

(Maya Angelou)

#128915 - 10/08/07 03:27 PM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed [Re: Eagle Heart]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
You are blessed. But then, you are such a huge blessing to all of us that it is no surprise. I know that the god/dess will give you strength in the coming months.
Hugs,
Casey

#128916 - 10/09/07 07:28 AM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed [Re: Casey]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Eagle, a Christmas Cruise through the Panama Canal? Sounds lovely. I visited the Panama Canal when I was a stewardess. I think crossing it takes a day. I'm sure it will be an exciting experience and a perfect distraction. How wonderful that you can share all these trips with your hubby.

#128917 - 10/09/07 09:31 PM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I'm tickled to learn how your weekend went.

During the first year after Mom's death, I recall the anticipation of every holiday being worse than the actual holiday. I pray you find the same again on Christmas. It sounds like you will.

Nothing like little ones to take our minds off ourselves!

Edited by Dotsie (10/11/07 10:32 PM)

#128918 - 10/09/07 11:28 PM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Oh, Eagle, I have a great friend that has been on the Panama Canal cruise, and she loved, loved, loved it. I am so glad that you are finding new ways to celebrate life. You are an inspiration to us all.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#128919 - 10/12/07 10:27 AM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed [Re: Anno]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
exilent idea being away from familure surrondings will help with the break from habit at christmass. Think of the new people and frends you will make on the cruse too. its a pice of inspirassion eagle,

#128920 - 10/15/07 03:20 PM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed [Re: celtic_flame]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Eagle: I am so glad to read you had a blessed weekend! God works in wonderful ways to satisfy each and every need. Now, looking ahead... It is a great way to celebrate christmas with your husband- a cruise! I am thrilled for you and wish you the best. I agree, you are a blessing for us here.

God bless you abundantly!
NABBW & NAWW

#128921 - 10/16/07 01:41 AM Re: This Past Weekend - Huge Hurdle Crossed [Re: Songbird]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Truly a Thanksgiving to be thankful for The holidays are extremely difficult for many people due to loss of loved ones...I'm glad you are being proactive and planning a fun adventure! I know you will have a wonderful time!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved