The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#12654 - 11/14/03 05:03 PM Giving thanks, Thanksgiving!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Since this is the month of Thanksgiving, why not pop in here every now and then and share what we're thankful for?

Anyone want to start?

Jawjaw, might you want to post your article in here? Up to you. Or would we have to pay you for that? [Razz]

I'm thankful for the people in my life who have encouraged me on my faith journey. Had they not spoken up and shared their faith with me, who knows where I'b be today...This fact excites me to want to share my faith with others. I must constantly remind myself that I'm a walking advertisement for Jesus Christ. Now that's a humbling thought. [Eek!]

Also, today I'm feeling a little queasy. Hoping it's something I ate last night. But anyway, it's made me thankful for my otherwise good health. I'm grateful because it's been a very long time since I haven't felt well. Praising God for good health! [Razz]

#12655 - 11/14/03 05:22 PM Re: Giving thanks, Thanksgiving!
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
I am thankful for my husband...especially after reading entries elsewhere on the boards. There is so much bitterness in the world, and pain, but I knew from the start I had someone incredibly special. I wouldn't have settled for anything less.

I was completely expecting to go life single and wasn't "looking" for a mate or husband. He (and my children) are among the few things I've experienced that allow to remain within my mind a seed of doubt about the improbability of there truly being a God.

We've been married sixteen years. It feels like maybe five. He is fun, sweet, diligent, reliable, handsome, supportive, patient, a good father, a deeply caring soul and a community servant. Most of all he puts up with me -- even though he often doesn't understand me! He is on my side.

Mike is the best friend I've ever had. He's a light in a dark world and frequently the only thing that has kept me going when times were harrowing or hope was dim. I would trade my life for his if ever he needed me to.

He is my Petruccio, my Prince, my pride and my promise.

He is what I am most thankful for as I contemplate my blessings.

#12656 - 11/14/03 05:40 PM Re: Giving thanks, Thanksgiving!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Thanks for the suggestions Dotsie. Here is a recently published article of mine that I am very proud of mainly because it was written straight from the heart. Oh and just a note: Eva Nell is a woman from my church. I hope you enjoy this.

Thanksgiving Blessings

Being thankful has taken on a whole new meaning for me this year. The true meaning of giving was shown to me through the actions and thoughtfulness of others.

My gratitude list has been narrowed down to “10 Teachers of Gratitude.” To each of these teachers and because of them, I give thanks for:

1) The brave men and women who have fought for my freedom and for the ultimate defeat of terrorism. Some have paid with their lives. I vow to never forget.

2) The unknown man in Bermuda shorts who I saw stop (during rush hour traffic) to retrieve a misguided turtle and take it to safety. I witnessed the joy of helping, without expectations.

3) My nieces/nephews who have mistakenly labeled me “Uncle Georgia” in their innocence. They have shown me life through their eyes and taught me to be a kid again.

4) The Eva Nell Howard’s of the world. She has spent more gas than any Daytona racing team delivering food, warmth and kindness to families who have suffered a loss, are shut-in, or just needed someone. She exemplifies Christianity in its purest form.

5) My sisters who cook entire Thanksgiving dinners but yet fuss over my deviled eggs and “traditional” burnt side dish as though I were Martha Stewart personified. Before dinner is through, we always travel once again down memory lane, each story a little more entertaining, each year a tad embellished…may our sweet and laughable memories reign forever.

6) My two sons, and my daughter-in-law, who still believe I am hug worthy, and lately, hold me a little longer and tighter. Guaranteed to wash away all my troubles.

7) My friends. If I named them all, it would fill this entire magazine, for months. However, I would be amiss without saying you have lifted me when I was down, have humbled me when I thought I knew it all, and loved me when I know I made it difficult to do so. You know who you are.

8) The Nurses/CNA’s at the VA home in Huntsville, where my Daddy resides. They are never too busy to help, and Daddy is constantly saturated with hugs. They are my rock; they are my lifelines.

9) The entire staff at the Cancer Center in Florence, who never failed to answer our questions, was always ready to quiet our worst fears, and who opened numerous arms to hold Mother while she bravely fought her way back from breast cancer and was pronounced victorious! You have reserved places in my heart, always.

10) My God who is forgiving and has taught me unconditional love thru the eyes of others. HE is always there and told me…I am here, always, even until the end of the world.

Finding things to be grateful for was so easy for me this year, but living my life so that others are grateful they know me, will be harder. I intend to try.

Happy Thanksgiving and May God Bless

Georgia [Smile]

#12657 - 11/15/03 04:22 AM Re: Giving thanks, Thanksgiving!
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
You said it JawJaw-I too, will try better to have people grateful of my friendship. What a wonderful goal and a simple pleasure to give every day.

I am thankful for my husband. The lessons learned through this trying year. And always my son who teaches me, as I am teaching him.

And for my Mom who became my friend this year. We always got along but her support during John's surgery and recovery has been unending. Her nights she sat up with me because sleep just would not overcome the worry, knowing she had my son to care for the next day. We became a team, a united front against all the negativity we were bombarded with. She was my knight in shining armor.

My friends who quitely rallied and fed me when I was about to drop and my friends who emailed me from around the world to keep me moving when I was diagnosed with MS last year. They are still writing. I am still important to them. God bless them.

And God Bless all of you. You have been there in the middle of the night when I just could not call one more person and wake them during my despair. Thank you for caring about my family and I without really "knowing" us.

Women are very special.

#12658 - 11/15/03 05:19 PM Re: Giving thanks, Thanksgiving!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, I must tell you how refreshing it is to read about other women who are thankful for their hubbies. So often we hear all the male bashing and I really don't have any reason to bash men because I have a loving husband for almost 25 years now. [Wink]

It is a true blessing to be married to my best friend in life! [Big Grin]

However, there are times I feel GUILTY that I have the husband I do, because I know so many people who are unhappy with their spouses most of the time. [Eek!] Anyone else ever feel that way?

And Lynn, how cool that you are able to recognize the blessing of your Mom's friendship during the past year. That's a gift.

And to the queen, I was so moved by your article. Don't know if you noticed this but everything you are thankful for has to do with relationships. You are very blessed my dear and your heart is in the right place. Now today you are hearing from (not Dr. Dotsie) but Rev. Dotsie! HA!

#12659 - 11/17/03 11:25 AM Re: Giving thanks, Thanksgiving!
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
quote:
However, there are times I feel GUILTY that I have the husband I do, because I know so many people who are unhappy with their spouses most of the time. Anyone else ever feel that way?

Dotsie, I have stopped talking about my husband to other women because they either don't believe me or are jealous - he is the best, most loving and involved father, the most domesticated husband (who has a washing-up addiction), able to cook and clean, has been my closest ally since we were seventeen (26 years ago.) He was beside me 100% through our unplanned mid-life pregnancy and tells me often that he is so glad we now have our daughter. Many marriages would have collapsed under the strain ours has been under...but we keep on working as a team. Without each other, we would be lost.You have reminded me not to take him so much for granted. Thanks.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved