The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139581 - 01/24/08 05:38 PM Any Suggestions? All Welcome!
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I am trying to come up with some ways to raise some $$ for a small cause.
Cause: The facility my mom is in needs equipment for the residents, which will keep them socially and physically active. The activities director showed me her choices, one being a bowling set and the other a parachute. The corporate office wouldn't approve her request, and I cannot afford to purchase the items (est. cost $250). So, I told the AD that I'd put my brain to it. I thought of sending out a newsletter, soliciting help, to the residents' families. But at $.41 per newsletter for 100 (+/-) families, I'd have a good downpayment for the equipment. I thought about a donation bucket, but the AD said that would have to be locked up. I can't put signs on the door, because that's against company rules. I don't think I care to go to local businesses to ask for help. Can anyone else offer some suggestions? Instead of writer's block, I have creative thought block.

#139582 - 01/24/08 06:56 PM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

Is there a college of education studying community care nearby?
Sometimes a project can be part of a course and a lecturer may be looking for such a forum.
Especially of the outcome can be written up as course work.
MA

#139583 - 01/25/08 04:17 PM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
How about calling the company that makes what you need, and asking thmem to donate. See if you can get an article written about their generosity in the nursing home's newsletter or the local paper.

#139584 - 01/30/08 01:12 AM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome!
gims Offline

dotsie, I called, they wouldn't even give me a discount. good suggestion, tho. I passed on the article idea. The activities director pulled out two articles already written (both in the final quarter of 2007). Maybe by Spring we can try that, if we still don't have the equipment.

I called the local community college and left a message, MA. I've yet to receive a return. I might drive to the nearest office and ask them directly. But, to let you know, because of your suggestion, I spoke with my oldest two granddaughters and asked them if there were any clubs in their schools that do community work. One of the schools does and they particular like the children working with the elderly. My granddaughter is working that angle for me. She said if the existing club doesn't want to take on the project, possibly she can create another club... she even named it Community Care Club, based on what I shared with her from your suggestion. She was so excited. She said, "oh gimme, we could have a raffle, or a bake sale, or sale our poetry, or we could all just donate $2." She plans on asking one of her coaches to sponsor her club.

#139585 - 01/30/08 09:40 AM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
A parachute? As in jumping from a plane and screaming your lungs out? If the residents go parachuting, I bet people would pay admission fees to see seniors floating through the air.

At our high school we used to do car washing to collect money for charitable organizations. We were always amazed how much we earned. How about asking the priest at the local church if you could pass a donation box around for this project? Or just clip flyers under windshields in the parking lot of the facility. (Although I don’t think you’ll get much response there). I’m still thinking Gimster. I owe you!

#139586 - 01/30/08 04:31 PM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: Edelweiss]
Mountain Ash Offline

College courses run to order so perhaps the idea will be viable later.I know fin raising can be part of Enterprise Activity type of course and the students would pubicise a fund raising activity and work round a topic...I did a fashion show as part of Personal Presentation.With the help of a clothes store..sold tickets etc...
Keep trying.
MA

#139587 - 02/01/08 04:28 AM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: gims]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Gimster, Since I work in a nursing home, maybe I can give you a couple of ideas. Talk to the AD about running a silent auction maybe. Our Adult day health center runs a fair and silent auction every year and they do well. What works good is going to local restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, hair/nail salons, various vendors and coming up with gift certificates. Or, would they let you run a raffle? Maybe you could get a few family members involved. We've made up spa baskets, and other types of baskets to raffle off. Also, a 50-50 raffle is good. Sometimes the person who wins, donates their winnings back to the cause.

Ours is a little different since we are a not for profit and we have a charitable foundation and get donations all the time, but there are ways of coming up with the money. ALthough I don't get the parachute idea either. The facility won't pay for this? Probably has to come out of the activities budget and she won't/can't spend it.

One time our ladies aux. had a book sale. Put a couple of flyers out around the place and word of mouth. Get some books donated and then have a used book sale at the facility. It may not make that much, but if you combine a couple of these, i.e., a book sale, and a couple of raffles over the course of a few weeks, you could conceivably come up with $250.

#139588 - 02/01/08 12:52 PM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: Louisa]
Mountain Ash Offline

Louisa
all good ideas and universal.The spa baskets can be collected by asking friends for items they can spare.Even our national chain chemist Boots alway give donations for similar things.
My daughters students did a hefty hamper at Christmas..As the students work part time they asked their respective employers for donations.Meals for two..bottles of wine etc.Students find out for the first time what goes on in the volunteer section.It is amazing the interest..you just need a start.Book sales...inside malls for two hours or bag packing
MA

#139589 - 02/01/08 10:33 PM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: Mountain Ash]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
There are a ton of ways. $250 isn't all that much to raise really. Sounds like a lot for a bowling set, but still. It can be done.

#139590 - 02/06/08 06:20 AM Re: Any Suggestions? All Welcome! [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

$250 doesn't sound like that much.
I just spent $231 on my mom's deductible so she could see a neurologist... that was important, and although the bowling set would benefit many, I just don't have more to spend.
I've handed the project over to my granddaughters... they both can learn from coordinating this type of thing. I told them I'd match dollar for dollar up to a certain amount.
In the meantime, I've checked all the thrift stores for old movies (Fred Astaire, Lucille Ball, Betty Davis, etc.) so the residents will have movies to watch on their new TV/VCR/DVD combo, which a local church donated at Christmas. They don't like the current movies, but love the musicals and dancing. I need to find some westerns, because there are quite a few men in the hall.

thanks for the ideas...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved