The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#137849 - 01/14/08 05:00 AM Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-law
sues Offline

My mother-in-law may be coming to live with us. She's fairly independent, but my husband is really worried about her and she does not want to go to an assisted living facility. I can't really say "no." She's not horrible. She actually disappears in her room when she comes to visit, but what should I be worried about or on the lookout for?

Sue
www.thetruthaboutwives.com

#137850 - 01/14/08 07:13 PM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-law [Re: sues]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
To answer your question, we'd need to know more about you and the circumstances.
I do have some questions:
Do you and your mother-n-law get along?
Does your husband and his mother get along?
Do you work?
Does your m-n-law drive?
Does she have her own car?
Would you be responsible for driving her places?
Do you consider your home your domain?
Do you have room enough in your home to hide away if need be?
What personality type are you?
What personality type is your husband?
What personality type is your m-n-law?
Do you have a way to give her a phone of her own?
Do you have a way to give her her own TV viewing area?
Can you possibly giver her a kitchenette?
Is she ambulatory?
Is she incontinent?
Is she on medication?
So many questions....
I can say that we tried it with my m-n-law and it did not work for us.... for many, many reasons.

#137851 - 01/14/08 08:54 PM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-law [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Sues, what makes me wonder here, is that you say she’s not horrible. That doesn’t mean she’s nice either, or that you really like her. If you can manage it financially, I recommend putting her into an assisted living facility.

I love my Mom more than I can say, but I would never ever want to live under one roof with her. You give up your privacy, your spontaneity and to a certain degree your freedom. Of course if you have no choice because of financial reasons then you have to make the best of it. But if you do have a choice, tell Hubby dear…no no no.

#137852 - 01/15/08 12:05 AM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-law [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
And also to mention that SHE gives up her independence which sometimes can change the personality of an elder. She will feel like she's interfering at times and that will put her in a funk....and you. Sometimes these things work out and other times it's a horrible thing. Think over every aspect...no...TALK over aspect with your husband. Mother-in-law apartments work well (sometimes) but it depends on who she is now, how you get along to begin with and what the future holds. Don't take it lightly....it's a huge decision!

#137854 - 01/15/08 12:30 AM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-law [Re: ]
ladyjane Offline

gimster, wonderful questions....all that need an answer before doing this.

#137855 - 01/15/08 01:40 AM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-la [Re: ladyjane]
sues Offline

Yes, she wants to live with us. I am the "in-law" she likes the best and she does not want to go to assisted living. No real reason, just lots of excuses.

#137856 - 01/15/08 04:05 PM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-la [Re: sues]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Sues,
Will you have to do all the cooking? Does she give you little zingers, while smiling and looking you in the face?
Does she irritate you at all? I've had my own mother live here. I have my mil here for weeks at a time. But I'm always glad when she goes back home! Think about it before you do it!

#137857 - 01/15/08 04:16 PM Re: Need advice before I say "yes" to mother-in-la [Re: jabber]
ladyjane Offline

Sue, one thing that makes me REALLY wonder...is you're asking about your mother-in-law coming to live with you and another post today is saying you have 2 children (10 & 13) and you're thinking about divorce. Re: Post #144022 just written this morning. Hmmm....are this questions about you or are they made-up research questions?

Edited by ladyjane (01/15/08 04:19 PM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved