The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200909 - 03/14/10 11:26 PM Mothers Birthday
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I thought, and I thought and then thought somemore, because when someone is going to be ninty (90) years young buying them a gift is so hard. In all the years they have lived their homes are full of stuff. My sister sends our mom money which boggles my mind since she doesn't need any. To me it's just laziness or lack of imagination but that's my sister.

Anyway I was checking out my BWS sisters sites to get an idea and saw something that I feel my elegant mother would love, it is pictured on our Merediths site, a hand knotted, Swarovski glass gorgeous pearl necklace with a gold vermeil flower and a bracelet to match. Mom doesn't wear earrings so I didn't buy those. She does dress up a lot and goes out to dinner etc., so this should fit into her wardrobe nicely. It looks very expensive yet is priced quite reasonably. Check it out under Crystals and Pearls on our Meredithbeads website.
Tell me what you think if you check it out. Thanks!
Does anyone else have a problem choosing gifts for family?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200956 - 03/15/10 12:57 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: chatty lady]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I'm glad you found something! yes I have problems choosing gifts for my Mom, and this has been on my mind as Mom's birthday is coming up on the 31st, and we just moved her to a smaller place, trying to think of something is next to impossible. Unfortunately my mom doesn't wear jewelry at all, doesn't dress up at all, and buying her gifts is really hard. I bought her some new outfits when she moved a couple of weeks ago, but they're hanging in her closet, and I realized during conversation with her on Saturday when I went to visit that she hasn't worn them because she doesn't recognize them as her's........her Alzheimer's is getting worse by the day. I really made an effort to find the style of clothes that she likes, and that looked like stuff she already owns, but even that didn't work. I make greeting cards and may just make her a nice card......and let it go at that. Not sure yet.

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (03/15/10 01:00 PM)

#200959 - 03/15/10 01:07 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Meredith's jewelry cannot be beat and here's the thing. Once you see it (in person) it is more lovely than the pic's. That's a bonus!

Other suggestions might be:

--gift cards to their favorite restaurants
--a collage of pix's of days gone by
--a collage of their grandchildren, and great-grands
--homemade coupon booklets (Mother loved hers; course she also uses the ones I made for a day's worth of cleaning her house so be careful what you put on there..Sigh)
--I use the postal service where you can have a postage stamp made with a picture on it. This has always been received with much thanks!
--Soaps from Di RIGHT HERE ON BWS. Being careful of skin sensitivities for the older crowd. Di can work with you on this. She's fab to work with!
--Our own Chatty has some really neat lap-a-kins (that's what I call them) and they make wonderful, comfy gifts
--Books in large print
--A new bible with their name inscribed
--Beautiful stationary.
--A homemade gift basket (don't you love doing these?)

And if all else fails, send them a copy of my book. Whatttt? Okay, okay...hey, I'm a media slut, can't help myself!

#200970 - 03/15/10 02:27 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: jawjaw]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

They are all great suggestions! I'm sure they will give lots of gals good ideas on gifts for those hard-to-buy-for friends and family members!
Unfortunately -- my mom will not go out to eat, already has the picture collages (hey what can I say........we've been at this for a while) never sends cards or any other correspondence, I've done the soap and body lotion thing, I bring her books all the time, and I've done the gift basket thing. A few years ago I gave her a box of greeting cards for all occasions and she loved that, but then she quit sending cards. But at the time it was a great gift, since she couldn't get out to purchase them herself. A couple of years ago I went to World Market and filled a basket with sample sized packs of cookies, candies, and other stuff............since she doesn't eat much at one sitting, small sizes were good. That worked well too. To be honest I'm not even sure she's going to know it's her birthday, but I know and I need to try to highlight the day for her in some way. I'm thinking, maybe this year, a small plant she can keep in her room. If it doesn't get watered and doesn't make it........no big deal. Maybe she'd like to have something green and growing, maybe not........it's hard to tell these days, you never know how she's going to react to anything. But all the above ideas are good ones.......worth noting!!

#200973 - 03/15/10 03:00 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Just went through this with my FIL. His birthday was February 16th. He was in rehab for his hip. It's the first time we didn't buy him a gift. We got him a nice card and I baked cupcakes for him and all his buddies at the home. It worked. Most recently, we've given him his favorite candies, fun shaped pillows for his bed, clothes, slippers, and I can't recall what else. But he really doesn't need a thing. The one outfit we gave him for his birthday last year is still in a box in his closet. Pretty sad.

Does she have one of the nice pillows to lean on for her bed? He liked that, but now he has a hospital bed so we just push the button and he can lean up.

Chatty, Meredith's jewelry is a great idea! How sweet of you to use the small business owenres right here at BWS.

#200995 - 03/15/10 09:06 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I always do if I can Dotsie. I am an ardent fan of Di's soaps and have even sent them as gifts. I love the paintings Kate does and have two originals in my home. And don't forget the one of a kind earrings Meredith made for me, pictured on this site.

CrosstitchQueen, if you would like a nice lap-afghan for your mom let me know. They are reasonably priced, one of a kind, and I'll take payments over time if need be but only from the ladies here or on NABBW.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201005 - 03/15/10 11:28 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: chatty lady]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Chatty, thanks for the offer, but I don't think so, not at this time anyway. I'll keep it in mind,though!

#201091 - 03/18/10 12:22 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
So...I'm dying to know what you did. I think the plant idea is a good one. I love plants as well.

#201096 - 03/18/10 04:09 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: jawjaw]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Well, her birthday is not til the 31st of March. I'm going to be gone all next week......we're headed to a cabin in Georgia for the week, (if all goes well at my doctor's appt today) of which the final weekend is a fishing tournament my husband is participating in. Several of our friends will be in surrounding cabins and the guys will all be in the tournament and the gals will hang out.You have no idea how much I need this week away -- well on the other hand, maybe you do. Anyway.....I've made a card that I am going to mail from Georgia to make sure it arrives on time. We get home on Mon the 29th. I thought I might take a small plant -- good for the size of her room -- on her actual birthday and she will have already rec'd the card. I think it might cheer up her room a little bit and hopefully the staff will remember to water it once in a while if Mom doesn't.

#201099 - 03/18/10 09:37 PM Re: Mothers Birthday [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Georgia cabin? Sounds wonderful this time of year.

How was your appt?

I bet you're going to have a blast. HOw well do you know the other women?

Another idea is a framed picture of your mom was she was younger. I see lots of them around the home where my FIL is living. They seem to like to reminisce about the good old days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved