The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147920 - 05/06/08 03:28 AM Calling Dad...ponderings.
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I call him as often as I can. After all, being 2000 miles away is very hard now that he is 80.

His time, lately is filled with wood carvings of the "Peanuts Gang'. He's amazing! Still keep busy. But sadly has stopped gardening. Just a few flowers now, he says. The outdoor mold etc gives him some bad skin ailments.

He and my stepmom are fine and healthy, basically. She still drives (Dad has had macular degeneration for years).

Each time we converse I always ask him questions about his life and with Mom. None of my siblings have done that. It's just fun to learn such things as:

My oldest sister had a middle name for a few days..then they removed it!

My name was the only one that they chose because they just 'liked it'. Everyone else was named after someone.

After Mom/Dad married, and she quit work, she got a phone call because she owed her employer money she'd borrowed. Seems she borrowed it when she moved out to the YWCA and away from her horribly evil stepmother! I said to Dad, "Gosh, I'll be you wondered 'who did I marry?'". he laughed. They were so in love and paid off the debt $20/week.

This time of year is especially hard...I miss Mom so much. In fact, I may send Dad a M'day card because he's mothered us four for almost 33 years.

#147921 - 05/06/08 05:45 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, any plans to visit?

#147922 - 05/06/08 05:59 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings.
Di Offline

Not sure.....with economy the way it is.....but I'd like to.

Dad understands though. He always says, "Don't worry about it". But I WANT to go!! What if something happens and I don't see him again. I HATE being so far away.

#147924 - 05/06/08 06:37 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: ]
Di Offline

Quote:

Di, I am glad you stay in touch with your parents frequently! Not everybody is willing/able to do so; we are too busy and time slips by, etc, then all of a sudden you receive the death notice and are filled with regret.

Sounds like they understand about the economy and your need to work.......being 20 or 2000 miles away means nothing when you call and talk regularly. You are a good daughter! .

Thank you, Anne! I do not have regrets. I always tell him I love him...and often cry to him because I have appreciated him so much and learned so much!

We talk sometimes for an hour...he's so encouraging and full of information from our past.

He's so inspirational!

#147925 - 05/06/08 08:02 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too applaud the fact that you speak so highly of your Dad and the love you obviously have for him. How kind of you. I love that. I wish I could tell Daddy in person. Some day?

I totally understand your love, too. Sometimes we love others so much, it hurts...I think that is the angst of someday knowing we will lose them trying to wiggle it's way into our minds. Don't make room for it!

You are, as said previously, a good daughter!

#147926 - 05/06/08 08:59 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Thank you, JJ. Yes, when I think of him gone, I get very upset. Unlike my siblings who have families of their own, I'm IT! So I've been very attached to Dad AND my past more so than the others.

I can't stop thinking I'll be an orphan and alone in this world forever.

#147927 - 05/06/08 09:30 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Yes Di, death takes away our loved ones but you can imagine that he will then be your guardian angel watching over you from heaven...I think of my own mothers passing one day that way and it really does help and as JJ said ond day we will be able to again tell them how much we love them, face to face... Enjoy him while he's here as much as possible.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#147928 - 05/07/08 04:35 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Di, you sound so lucky. I live less than 10 miles from my Dad and we never talk. It's not that I haven't tried (long story).

About visiting him... if I were you (I know I'm not, but if I were), and I could finagle a way to make the trip, I would... and pay it of @ $20/week if I had to. I want a dad that loves me that much and does the very things you mentioned: inspire, care, teach, amaze, and so on. I wanted to call your dad, myself, after reading your post. God love him, and you. You are very fortunate to have each other.

#147929 - 05/08/08 04:03 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Di, as MOm always siad, "When there's a will, there's a way."

Is there a way for you to satch a few bucks away every now and then? Once you commit to it, you may get excited and figure out other ways to fund the stash.

#147931 - 05/09/08 01:05 PM Re: Calling Dad...ponderings. [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Quote:

The key is taking the time to find quality people whom I can count on, and of course they can (and do) count on me.

How wise a statement. This is true for people with family too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved