The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#11471 - 10/08/03 02:21 PM another death
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My father-in-law had another very close friend die this week. I tried to put myself in his place and imagine the fact that many of my close friends had died. I pictured myself going to one of my good friend's funerals.

It is so heart wrenching for our parents generation to lose people left and right.

I've heard people who've lived to be a hundred speak on TV and one of the things they said they had to learn was how to deal with loss. For the most part, they were faithful people who believed their loved ones had gone to a better place...it still hurts!

How do your parents deal with loss?

[ October 08, 2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#11472 - 10/08/03 05:46 PM Re: another death
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My Mother and I had a close friend die this week as well. I noticed her looking off into space when we were returning from the funeral and she said...to no one in particular..."They are dropping like flies..." I felt she was wondering about her own self during this time. I began thinking about it as well. The people who are dying now (it seems) are MY parents age where it doesn't seem like so long ago it was my grandparents friends who were dying.

The cycle continues.

Although this is a morbid subject, and unlike the Queen to give serious input, I thankfully lean toward my glass being half full.

So...in light of that, I would say to give thanks for everyone you have known, give thanks for everyone you STILL have, and give thanks that YOU have been given another day, another hour, another minute to get closer and walk with God.

And that, my friends, is as serious as I intend to get today. [Smile] Hugs,

#11473 - 10/09/03 03:33 PM Re: another death
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Amen...and thanks for the sermon! I like your serious side too! [Razz]

#11474 - 10/13/03 07:29 AM Re: another death
Dotsie Offline
Founder

All I can say is... every generation has to face this... one of the many down-sides of living a long life... but I think one of the lessons of being left behind is, indeed, to be grateful for who you still see around you... and also to get your own heart ready to face death when it's your turn.

"Do not go gentle into that good night" is a wonderful poem... but as a philosophy, it's crap! I do hope that when I pass on, I am ready to pass on. I don't want to be in a position where I'm fighting it. I want it to be a peaceful transition, something beautiful even. Something that those who love me can remember and take comfort in, that I was ready, and I went when I was called.

Not that I was glad to leave my loved ones, but that I knew it would only be a temporary separation... that I would still be there, literally, in spirit. That's what I want out of death.

I don't know how etierh of my parents faced death and dying, because I was disowned several years ago. But I do remember years and years before, neither of my parents would allow or could stand for other people to cry around them. Most certainly they would not allow their own children to weep. We all went around pretending nothing was wrong, and walking on eggshells anyway, and when someone would die, it was just that much worse. Very strange. My own feelings are very different from my parents' and I really, really hope that my behavior will be, too.

Love,
Lil

#11475 - 10/22/03 02:22 AM Re: another death
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
working at a funeral home -- i see many older people come there for loved ones funerals -- some of them turn it all over to their faith -- some take it so hard we can almost figure that we'll be having their funeral shortly

i want to outlive my husband -- after that -- i'll leave it up to God [Smile]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved