The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156448 - 08/15/08 01:24 AM Nurses with issues!!
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
In my hospital there are a lot of nurses with problems.
They are not there for their patients. They are mad. They are rude. They are tired all of the time no matter what their hours (and I know their hours,) They do their best in the E.R. not to check on a patient until that patient raises hell.
Wow, such problems!
Is it my hospital? Have you had good experiences with your nurses?
I had quite a bit of surgery and I can honestly say that the kind nurse was the exception, truely! What's up with this?
What are your experiences?
Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#156450 - 08/15/08 01:35 AM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I've been in hospitals and nursing homes a lot in the last three years. Every one of the facilities has been short handed. I feel sorry for the nurses, doctors, aids and techs. They are on their feet and having to put up with patients of all kinds...my dad an easy one, my mom not so much.

#156478 - 08/15/08 01:22 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I too have spent way too much time in hospitals over the past few years. And seen way too much that I wish I hadn't seen - it took me a long time to get rid of the fear of being a patient myself!

In my experience, there are exceptionally wonderful nursing staff, and then there are the ones who really shouldn't - and don't want to be - there. Unfortunately, having to deal with the latter tends to blind us to the blessing and gift that the others are.

My Mom was in two separate wards of the hospital. She spent four weeks in the first one. For the most part, she received excellent care, but there was one nurse who made her life miserable, accusing her of "faking it" - oh, don't get me started on that one! Mom throwing up all over herself and the nurse just standing there telling us she was just faking. IT STILL ENRAGES ME, because less than a month later, my Mom was dead from wide-spread bone & spinal cancer! Imagine the pain - both physical and emotional - she must have been enduring while having to listen to that nurse telling her it was all in her head.

But I digress. Can you tell this is still a very sore subject for me! That wasn't even half of it. When they moved my Mom to the general ward, the care became INTOLERABLY bad. Impossible to describe it all here - but a few images: deep rings around her bum because they would leave her on the toilet for TWO HOURS - that is not an exaggeration; putting her food on a tray too far from her bed so she couldn't reach it, then coming in 15 minutes later and removing it, uneaten, unaware that my Mom was lying in bed starving, but unable to reach the tray. (After that happening two days in a row, my brother and I both got off work early just so we could get there in time to help her); not changing her for bed, making her sleep in a wet diaper (she couldn't get out of bed, and they rarely answered her - or anyone's bells). We found out later after she died that the reason for her dismal nursing care was that she had a DNR (do not rescessitate) order on her file...OUCH, and DOUBLE OUCH.

Okay, I'll balance that off somewhat by saying that most of Gary's care was exceptional, with amazing nurses and doctors taking profound interest and treating him with great care and respect. But there was one nurse who shouldn't be a nurse. She didn't just have a bad day here and there, she had a miserable life and clearly couldn't care less about anyone else. One could commiserate with her problems, but cannot excuse her dismal treatment of her patients.

I could go on...with both good and bad stories. Staff shortages, too much overtime, impossibly high ratios of nurses to patients all contribute to making the health care environment a stressful place to work these days. My heart also goes out to them - but I still get enraged when I remember the HORRIBLE care my Mom received. No excuse or explanation will ever be satisfactory enough.

Stopping now.

(Maya Angelou)

#156493 - 08/15/08 03:26 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My daughter is a nurse and the hospital is short-handed, causing each nurse to be responsible for eight patients at times. She works 12-hour shifts and is always exhausted. She is irritated because she knows her patients aren't receiving the care they need and deserve and there is nothing she can do about it.

Honestly, today I would hate to go into a hospital out of fear of the care I'd get.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#156496 - 08/15/08 03:39 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: Dianne]
gims Offline

Eagle Heart, I hope you reported your mom's treatment. That doesn't sound like overworked nurses, aides, etc. That sounds like cruel mistreatment... and should have be reported. If the hospital administrator wouldn't listen, then it should have gone higher and higher and higher - even gotten on the local news. In fact, it might not be too late to contact a news agent and have them do a story on DNR patients in that hospital. That type of treatment is beyond not acceptable.

#156500 - 08/15/08 04:30 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

I did get a wee bit emotional there, didn't I...sorry. Hard to give an objective perspective on this issue.

Gims, I can't recall when, but I shared in the forums here about a "chance" encounter a couple of years ago, in Cuba of all places. The woman sitting on the lounge chair beside me at the pool found out we were both from Ottawa and we started chatting. She asked me a lot of questions, which led to me telling her about my Mom's recent death, which then led me to an emotional rant about her treatment in the hospital. She asked me which hospital - and then told me that she was the PR for that hospital! After that conversation, she often sought me out and we ended up talking a lot over the course of her vacation. Before she left, she promised me that she was going to do an investigation into that ward and especially the treatment of terminally ill DNR elders. She vowed to make changes. I don't think I believed her at the time.

Fast-forward a couple of years later. One morning I pick up the paper and start reading the first part of a week-long series on the palliative care of terminally ill patients in the local hospitals. The report actually mentioned the exact same examples of mistreatment that my Mom had experienced, the same ones I had shared with that woman. Then the series went on to tell how the hospitals had implemented new education and palliative care programs for the hospital staff (not just nurses, but everyone, including even the housekeeping staff). It was clear that changes had indeed been implemented, with special attention to geriatric and terminal DNR patients.

I was impressed, and knew in my heart that that woman by the pool in Cuba had kept her promise. God does indeed work in mysterious ways, doesn't He! My Mom's dismal experience may have ended up helping others in ways we'll never even know about.

(Maya Angelou)

#156521 - 08/15/08 05:49 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: ]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
This is an interesting thread. As most have said...some are good, others bad pretty much like any profession out there. Sadly, the few that are horrid are the memorable ones. Nursing today has taken on a whole other dimension. Much time is spent in paperwork and administration leaving the bedside nursing care to the nurse's aides. I'm so pleased to be working in a hospice now. The staff and patient ratio is very small and lends itself to good nursing care and more importantly, the time to be a good nurse. I'm very blessed to be there. But in the larger facilities and hospitals I have to say that nurses suffer from burn out big time. The stress is unbearable with the shortage of nurses all across the country. This is only the other side of things that I speak of because there is absolutely NO excuse for cruel treatment....none. Anyone doing that should be reported and hopefully fired immediately. But I do understand the stress of nursing. I think it's one reason why so many leave to go to offices. A nurse is stuck between the demands of doctors and supervisers and giving good patient care. I've had my share of hospitalizations, too. I was literally left to fend for myself for 4 days as an inpatient. It was awful. I'm not sure what the answers are to a huge problem but everything has a different perspective to it.

#156528 - 08/15/08 07:38 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: ladyjane]
gims Offline

I hate to say this, but I think the reasons for going into nursing have changed. Once, people (mostly women) went into nursing because they had a desire to help people in a caregiving capacity. Nowadays, you see TV commercials recruiting everyone to come and join the nursing field. They entice with $$, training, image, etc. I think, because of this, many enter the field as a "I don't know what else to do with my life" way of thinking. And, 'this sounds simple enough." Plus, all the red-tape involved in the medical field - it's a wonder there's not a bigger shortage of nurses.
There might even be an element of generations, unlike the past, that don't really care about the idea of caring for (they might think of it more like waiting on) other people.
When I worked, I was a workhorse (stupid, I know). I worked along side an upcoming generation that learned all they had to do was stay on the better side of the higher ups - game playing, no nose to the plow mentality. I think that's the rule of the day to an extent, still.

#156566 - 08/15/08 10:42 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: gims]
dancer9 Offline

Gims you are so right, so far as my hospital goes! Its about pleasing the higher ups and doing as little as possible! I'm so, so sorry, Eagle Heart, with the trauma you witnessed, I'm surprised you went back to a hospital!
I'm in a position to watch nurses all day. I see them work with their patients and they don't have too many. They have plenty of help from LPN's NA's, etc.
It's just laziness and getting by.
The sad thing is the young vets who come in are treated in this fashion and they are shell shocked and frightened, very frightened. Thanks for posting.

"Question your privilege"

#156568 - 08/15/08 11:17 PM Re: Nurses with issues!! [Re: dancer9]
Eagle Heart Offline

One thing I learned through these experiences with both Mom and Gary is that patients today need an advocate. Squeaky wheels do get the grease, and if ever there was a place where a squeaky wheel is desperately needed, it's at the bedside of a hospital patient, especially one who has no family or someone with enough courage to speak up.

Gary and I learned too late in Mom's case, but I carried that lesson and used it to help Gary. I asked kindly first, then begged and finally stomped my foot whenever necessary to get his voice heard and needs taken care of.

I also learned where to find the linens and how to make a hospital bed, how to fetch a bed pan and sneak it under the sheets without peeking (forever trying to maintain Gary's dignity), and where to find the best help when the buzzer didn't work. As the nurses became aware of how hard I was working to help Gary and alleviate their workload, the more inclined they were to go out of their way to tend to Gary when I couldn't.

Plus they enjoyed his sense of humour. I guess it was rare on that ward.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved