The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#155232 - 08/03/08 12:27 PM Persistent Cough
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had a cough for about 18 years - yep, that's a long time. It stared in 1990 while stationed in Germany. The military found no reason for the cough and would prescribe a pill or cough syrup here and there. It has not stopped and is most prominant during the colder months; however, I seem to cough a lot at work and lose my voi

#155233 - 08/03/08 01:32 PM Re: Persistent Cough [Re: ]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
MustangGal,could you have bad allergies? I know when my allergies are really really bad, I cough allot and I lose my voice off and on. I have summer allergies. My husband has winter allergies. He gets a terrible bad cough sometimes from lots of sinus drainage. He was given codeine cough medicine and that didn't stop his cough neither. The doc finally gave him a shot to help dry up the drainage. That seemed to help get the cough under control.

#155234 - 08/03/08 01:45 PM Re: Persistent Cough [Re: Cookie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I cough from alergies, too. I have found that when my couph gets too irritating, or congestion starts in, a few days of a generic Claritin D, 24 hour, clears it up for quite a while.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#155235 - 08/03/08 05:26 PM Re: Persistent Cough [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I only just discovered this past winter (in Cuba!) that my persistent cough was from acid reflux (aka GERD) - I had never made the connection before, especially since I don't experience other symptoms typical of GERD as persistently as the cough. But our doctor friend in Cuba suggested that I treat the cough as if it WAS from acid reflux, so I started taking Gaviscon and the cough disappeared!!!

For me the couging used to be worse at night and would keep me awake, so when I got home I started taking Gaviscon before going to bed and haven't had a problem since. If it's not a cold or sinus or allergy, try Gaviscon, or something similar.

My SIL is a nurse and she suggested to me to chew the Gaviscon AFTER eating (the label says before but her experience shows that it works better if taken after) with a little bit of water (that apparently helps to form the foam which will stop the acid from refluxing up the esophagus).

(Maya Angelou)

#155236 - 08/03/08 06:30 PM Re: Persistent Cough [Re: Eagle Heart]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
MustangGirl, can you better describe the cough? Is it a dry cough? Does it seem to originate in your throat, or your chest, or somewhere in between? Is it a nagging cough i.e. urge related, or a clearing cough, i.e. phlegm needing to be expelled? Do you have other aches/pains that come and go with the coughing spells? Do the pills/cough syrups help? What are the blooming vegetations in the winter months? What fruits/veggies do you tend to eat in the winter months? Have you had your heating system examined/cleaned? How about the clothes you tend to wear in the winter months - i.e. wool? Have you ever been somewhere, besides your home/state, in the winter months when you didn't notice/have the cough?

I'm one to promote finding a 'cause' before using cover-ups. Just me. I hope the cause isn't horse dander, something you could be carrying into your living environment. There could be molds on the equipment, food, etc., too.

#155237 - 08/04/08 07:56 AM Re: Persistent Cough [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I cough all the time too. NO reason just a harsh cough, have had it for more years than i can remember but my lungs are clear. Sounds like I am a smoker but I'm not now nor was I ever. Go figure!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#155238 - 08/04/08 09:16 AM Re: Persistent Cough [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I had a disgusting cough for about 6 months. Then I stopped eating yogurt creamy stuff, and took less milk in my coffee. My cough disapeared completely within 3 days.
Gims posted some good questions. What you eat can truly be a cause.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved