The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#134489 - 12/11/07 08:44 PM Diabetes
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, this is a post that humlan began in another area. I'm cutting and pasting here so we can begin a new topic about diabetes.

Dotsie..you seem to know alot about diabetes... I have a very close friend who has diabetes 1. She was diagnosed over the last year. She s having a very very had time now..trying to keep up some sort of optimism and motivation in life. She doesn´t feel sorry for herself..but I think that she is finding the knowledge and reality of her disease overwhelming..tough. Is this a reaction that many patients have? It would seem to me to be the case when I really put myself in her situation. Diabetes seems to reach into so many areas of one´s life..for instance, she works with kids too..the winter stomach flu is raging around..she was told that she must be very careful with her insulin dosage, should she get this flu..because if she´s unlucky..it could lead to unconsiousness due to a very low sugar level. It´s just one fact among many that is new to her and worries her. Do you know what I mean? It´s a whole new set of rules and realities for her and I think she is having trouble taking it all in and still keeping her gusto for life..at the moment. And she is finding her lack of gusto difficult too. I just thought that if I could ressure her that her reactions are quite normal , she might feel better.

I must add that my dear dear friend is the one that taught me that feeling angst or panic is NORMAL. It is a normal reaction to things happening in one´s life..and nothing to fear. I would like help her not fear where she is now, if I can..and perhaps also help her not to push away some people that are in her life now..

You really have understood the gratitude thing, Dotsie. You use it so often in your life and it makes much more sense to me now after having read your thoughts..and those of others here in this thread. I am working on gratitude because I truely believe in it..but you, Dotsie, and many of you other wonderful women here..have really taken it to another dimension for me. I thought that I was pretty grateful most of the time..but I realize that I have a much longer path to wander..which is ok..because the path of thankfulness seems to be a very sunny and happy path.

-----------------------------------------------------------
My response:

First, the path to gratefulness is well worth it. I began many years ago by journaling what I was thankful for. It was during the summer when all three kids were little, I was a stay at home mom, I loved my life, but was feeling overwhelmed by all it took to keep everyone happy and in the game. I've come a long way and have a way to go, but am grateful that I'm able to plant seeds for others to continue on the path. It's fun.

Okay, diabetes. Hubby has been a Type I Diabetic for over 30 years. He was diagnosed while we were dating. When diagnosed, he took a shot a day and went about his business and it really seemed in control. Through the years, it's changed dramatically, to the point that he was doing 4-5 shots a day, watching what he ate, exercising and taking great care of himself. Several months ago, he went on the pump and is still getting use to it. That's Ross.

Then my daughter who happens to be adopted, was diagnosed with Type II about six years ago. She was controlling it with diet and exercise. To be continued.

Edited by Dotsie (12/11/07 08:59 PM)

#134490 - 12/11/07 09:10 PM Re: Diabetes
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Okay, she has since been put on oral medication because she is not taking time to exercise at this point in her life. I really believe that watching your food intake and exercising daily would keep lots of Type IIs off medication.

Okay, so your friend is on insulin. Is she testing her blood regularly and keeping her blood sugar within normal range? I ask because low blood sugars cause you to think less clearly and high blood sugars cause you to feel exhausted and overwhelmed. It could be that her blood sugar levels are out of whack, and that alone can make you feel poorly. Tight control is important. While it's a pain in the neck, it absolutely helps you feel better, more normal, like people without diabetes.

It's interesting what they told her about the flu. When my husband is sick, his blood sugar tends to run high which will not cause you to pass out. What she needs to be very careful about is not to give herself too much insulin. Is she on a sliding scale or does she do the same dosage every day? It's very simple though. If she feels like her blood sugar is getting low, all she needs to do is eat or drink something sweet, or she can buy the gel that she can use during those times, or the glucose/sugar tablets work well too.

What she is feeling is quite normal. It is a huge life change, but one that can be made. Trust me, Ross lives a very normal lifestyle. Many don't know he's a diabetic, but it takes a lot of work on his part.

If she is lacking gusto, it could be because her blood sugar is running high. Make sure she is testing her blood occasionally. She will feel best if she can keep it within normal range.

#134491 - 12/12/07 12:12 AM Re: Diabetes
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When I wake up everyday, I test my blood glocose and again at night before bedtime. I take one oral pill a day and thats only if I am not exercising. When going to the pool or walking a lot the pill is not necessary. I have learned to buy "only sugar free" items and don't want the hassle of high blood sugar so I rarely cheat. I was devastated when told I was diabetic,(my grandmother had her leg amputated.)I decided to go to the hospital class offered to learn more. After hearing the crap they dished out, I figured I may as well be dead. BUT then I got mad and decided to learn all I could on my own, and I did and I am just fine. I was diagnosed in 1990. I am doing great because I will not fall victim to the POOR ME syndrome.

The type I diabetics have reason to feel that way because they had no choice in getting their disease and type I is so hard to manage and so much work to keep under control. Type II is no fun either, but much, much easier to control with diet and exercise...Plus the sugar free foods and drinks out there now, I serve to everyone and no one ever knows the difference, some say they even taste better when inquiring 'whats this?"

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#134492 - 12/12/07 10:49 AM Re: Diabetes [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, you are so right about diet foods. Boy have we come a long way in the past ten years.

I'm sure you know this, but others may not. You still have to look at the number of carbs in the diet foods. You might be surprised.

#134493 - 12/14/07 02:44 AM Re: Diabetes
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Carbs, sugar and the ever sneaky sugar alcohol needs to be counted. Even sugar free candy can have sugar alcohol which all counts against you. I think the easiest way for me is to eat NOTHING white! Potatoes, bread, sugar, milk (just not too much) rice. These seem to be the real culprits. Meat has no carbs and no sugar. I eat a nice size piece of baked, broiled or grilled meat, chicken or fish with a leafy green salad with tomatoes etc. I love vinegar and oil, both lower carbs. Peas and corn are higher carbs then green beans, squash, other beans. Eggs also aere low carbs, I make a big omelet everyday with egg substitute, tomatoes, mushroom, cheese, spinach or broccoli pieces. Wheat toast and tea. I've never been a coffee drinker although it is okay for diabetics. But I love diet A&W root beer and creme soda. I have an entire library on diabetes alone...

Edited by chatty lady (12/14/07 02:49 AM)

#134494 - 12/15/07 11:18 PM Re: Diabetes [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
OK, thanks..I found the thread. My friend checks her sugar level a few times each day at this point. She takes about 3-4 injections depending on her sugar level. She has diabetes 1.

I met with her last evening and she looks pretty good. But she is finding the whole experience overwhelming and, I think, depressing. She is feeling "old" and "sickish" I guess. Did you all feel like this when you were first diagnosed?

Thanks for your input.

#134495 - 12/15/07 11:29 PM Re: Diabetes [Re: humlan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Type I is far WORSE and HARDER to adjust to, and live with than Type II. Mine is Type II, its irritating especially if you love baked goods and sweets as I do, but I have found some really tasty and satisfying sugar free products.

Edited by chatty lady (12/15/07 11:30 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#134496 - 12/15/07 11:32 PM Re: Diabetes [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

My friend´s problem is the fact that she doesn´t like to see herself as sick and weak..if you get my meaning. She gets stressed by all the sugar level checking, but can´t leave it alone either. She is 50yrs old and adjusting to illness and all that goes with it. Watching how she lives, etc. It´s not always easy to accept this kind of thing..eventho she is fully aware that things could be so much worse. But that doesn´t really help right now..

#134497 - 12/16/07 10:48 AM Re: Diabetes [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

humlan, I don't blame her for the way she's feeling. The disease can be overwhelming because one always has to think about what their level is before sticking something in their mouth. Think about it. How irritating is that?

Has she tried a support group?

I can't beleive she is doing that many shots. Was she just diagnosed?

Also, she is wise to check her sugar often. While it's a pain, it will help her feel better because her numbers will be within the normal range.

#134498 - 12/29/07 08:10 PM Re: Diabetes
humlan Offline

Dotsie, when you have the time..tell me why you think she is taking alot of shots..

And thank you for the info about it being ok to check yourself so often. Her sugar levels seem to go up and down alot..and she nears the lower levels often.

Christmas came in the way , so I haven´t had time to answer..as I suppose is true of alot of us.

I watched THE INDIAN with Anthony Hopkins again the other day..I LOVE that film and Hopkins does SUCH a good role interpretation or whatever you want to call it. The Indian is a motorcycle, by the way. But anyway...Hopkins says at one point: I am grateful everyday that I find myself above ground and verticle. Isn´t that a wonderful thought??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved