The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11184 - 11/22/05 11:30 PM October surgeries
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Hi everyone. Yeah, it's me. I'm still alive, although one month ago, I wasn't sure if I would be today.
Oct. 6 I suffered an acute attack of appendicitis complicated by right lung pneumonia. I was hospitalized and had my appendix removed on my 54th birthday on Oct. 9. I returned home on Oct. 13 and began recuperating there.
On Oct. 16th, I began having stool-like drainage from my incision site. Back to the ER we went. The dr. said he had left only 1 stitch in my incision because he wanted "the nasty drainage to be able to come out." He gave me some IV antibiotics and cleansed the wound and sent me home to rest.
The next day, the drainage was still the same, except for more volume, and it was really irritating to my incision tissues and surrounding skin. We were scheduled for a followup appointment with my surgeon, so back to the hospital we went again. This time, he told me that I possibly had a "Fecal fistula" and that it was just a pinpoint hole in my colon that would heal all by itself. He wanted me to go home and rest, and I would be fine. I was skeptical about this, and I asked him, what about the irritation to my skin and tissues. I can't keep sopping it up with a towel!. So he rigged up a drain sealed with a huge transparent sticky dressing, which he called the "Davis Special". It wouldn't even stick to my skin long enough to get out to the pickup to come home, which meant the drain couldn't maintain proper suction. He wanted this irrigated 2 to 3 times per day. Daughter Becky and I tried for 1 1/2 hrs. that evening to get the dressing to seal long enough to irrigate it. Finally, in frustration, Becky said, Mom, I'm taking you to Manhattan to the ER. And she did.
I had another surgery on Oct. 19 to remove the right side of my colon and part of my ileus. I spent 4 days in ICU and received 2 units of blood. I finally was discharged on Oct. 28 and have been getting stronger every day, although I'm still not well enough to return to work yet.
I've been without income for almost 2 months. Thankfully, my insurance from working at Clay Co. Hospital was still in effect and since I had met my deductible, is paying 100% of the medical bills. After Dec. 31, I'm not sure what we'll do.
Anyway, you can hopefully understand why I haven't been on the forums much lately. Usually I check email only and then shut my computer down.
I miss chatting with everyone. Hopefully, I can get some writing done soon. My mind is still rather fuzzy at times and my concentration level is terribly short. So please have patience with me a while longer.

#11185 - 11/22/05 11:56 PM Re: October surgeries
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Got your PM. You were missed. Wow, you have had some trying times since you were here last.Glad you are on your way to better health. I'll include you in my prayers. Keep writing Countrygirl, your poetry is beautiful.
chick

#11186 - 11/23/05 01:01 AM Re: October surgeries
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Wow countrygirl,
I think it's time we activated the boomer prayer plan.
I'm saying a prayer for you right now. I hope others will as well. Hopefully you've been through the worst and are on your way to being all you can be.

Know our prayers are surrounding you.
smile

#11187 - 11/23/05 02:44 AM Re: October surgeries
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm happy to join that prayer plan. I am glad you and your family were persistent with your care. "A pinpoint hole in the colon that will heal?" I've never heard that before. I thought any hole could cause you to be septic. I am so glad you are healing. This sounds so serious.

Can you get an extension on your insurance?

#11188 - 11/23/05 05:15 AM Re: October surgeries
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Sounds as if you have been through the entire course.... unbelievable.
Glad to hear you are finally on the mend.
At least you were covered, which has to be a burden lifted.
Praying for your total and swift recovery.

[ November 22, 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: yepthatsme2 ]

#11189 - 11/27/05 05:37 AM Re: October surgeries
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Countrygirl,

My goodness! What a time you've had. So thankful your daughter was on the nose about your care. You've been through a lot. I'll also add you to my prayer list. The prayers of this group really do land in Gods lap and he answers them. Will pray for your continued healing and renewed strength.

I am recovering from surgery, but thankfully mine was essentially without any real problems. Girl, so happy you are on the mend.
God bless!
Sandpiper

#11190 - 11/27/05 10:00 AM Re: October surgeries
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Countrygirl........Add me to that list that will be praying for you. I've had my share of surgeries, and mishaps along the way.
I wish you a fast recovery.
Lynne

#11191 - 11/27/05 04:36 PM Re: October surgeries
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
What a story Countrygirl.....you've really had quite a time. Consider me "on board" with the prayer plan....let's hope you are back to 100% SOON!

#11192 - 11/27/05 06:01 PM Re: October surgeries
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Add my name to the growing list countrygirl. Bless your heart! Thank goodness your daughter was around to see first-hand the seriousness of it all and get you to another facility. You are in our prayers, from our lips to God's ears.

JJ

#11193 - 11/27/05 10:40 PM Re: October surgeries
ladybug Offline

countrygirl51 I hope today finds you feeling a little better!

You have certainly been through a lot! You deserve a break now from all of this that you've had to endure.

Please try to post something at least once a day so we know how you are.

Hugs coming your way from me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved