The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10448 - 07/08/04 04:20 PM The Silent Killer
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Three years ago I married a widower (we're both over 50-- but that's another story). His late wife died of ovarian cancer. You all probably know this, but supposedly there aren't any clear symptoms.

This week, though, some researchers at Johns Hopkins hospital here in Baltimore said that there are some signs, but you and your doctor have to be really suspicious to fear ovarian cancer -- bloating, constipation and weight gain.

As with all of this medical research, they seem to be coming very late to actually studying female bodies. You know, they used to only study men, and then generalize to women.

#10449 - 07/08/04 05:05 PM Re: The Silent Killer
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That's because it was MEN doing the research...

and besides that, they don't want to give up all the drugs involved if they found cures...eh?

JJ

#10450 - 07/09/04 07:08 AM Re: The Silent Killer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
As with all of this medical research, they seem to be coming very late to actually studying female bodies. You know, they used to only study men, and then generalize to women.

Duh...this is something I'd never thought about before. Is it because more men leave their bodies to science? Come on ladies, we have to start giving it up... Just a thought.

#10451 - 07/09/04 01:59 AM Re: The Silent Killer
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
This is all pretty scary to me. I just learned last week I have an abnormal cyst on my ovary along with a host of other things. Anyway, I have gained 15 pounds since Sept. 03 but lost it with the help of BWS diet!

I have expereinced a slight change in bowle function not constipation really but I thought this was due to the change in diet. I go to the doc tomorrow so I will surely ask. What is the differnece between bloated and fat?

#10452 - 07/09/04 04:40 AM Re: The Silent Killer
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I think when your bloated you feel sort of puffed up and uncomfortable usually followed by gas. Fat doesn't really feel any special way. I think fat is just fat.

My whole problem seemed to begin with being constipated for 6 long days, I never felt so bad. I have always had good bowel activity and then BAM, not sure of the cause. I did have a whole body scan with the dye while in hospital and they said it showed tumors in the uterus that were benign. I wonder if Ovariuan cancer would show up that way....

#10453 - 07/09/04 06:26 PM Re: The Silent Killer
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
As for why research hasn't until recently been done on women -- the money wasn't -- and maybe still isn't -- there.

Drug companies and other groups offer money to research universities to look for cures for particular diseases. So prostate cancer and heart disease (in men) took priority over breast and uterine cancer.

Think of all the years we heard about how men were at risk for heart attacks. Women got them too, but it became a big news item when they actually found out how high the rate was for women getting heart attacks.

Not only that, but surgeons make lots and lots of money doing hysterectomies. Why should they want to cure our uterus and give up that lucrative business? So there hasn't been any pressure. In too many cases, we all believe and respect the doctors, and are afraid to challenge them, so women get surgery that may not be necessary.

Let's face it -- in the past, women's lives and bodies weren't considered as valuable as men's. After all, men were the providers for their families. I think even life insurance paid out more for them, too, but don't know how that worked.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved