The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10380 - 05/14/04 06:16 PM Cat being exiled for allergies
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Boy I didn't know where to put this.

There seems to be a lot of animal lovers and experts on here and I need some help. My husband arrived in my life with a cat. He rescued it only about a month before we met, but is attached. I love how he cares for the cat and I'm growing attached also.
Problem is, my husband and I are both allergic to the darned thing. It is a long haired cat with dander and hair in the air constantly making us both cough and sneeze.
Also, he is old (the cat, not my husband) [Smile] and had these urine problems (the cat, not my husband) [Smile] which we finally got under control with diet, but he still spits up hair balls (the cat, not my husband) [Smile] We're re-carpeting soon and simply put, this guy has to GO! (the cat, not my husband) [Smile]
No one wants him (the cat, not my husband) [Smile] and the humane folks will only put him to sleep (the cat, not my husband) [Smile] . We can't either seem to deal with that.
A friend who had a similar problem moved the cat outside to a dog house and only allows him inside for petting, etc. (the cat, not her husband) [Smile] I'm considering that. I've been singing that song from "The Jeffersons," "Moving on up" to the cat for days. I'm trying to convince him (the cat, not my husband) [Smile] that he's moving to a fancier pad.
Help.... Any ideas??
smile

[ May 14, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#10381 - 05/14/04 08:28 PM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love your post! It's great. [Big Grin]

Do you have any local papers where you can place free ads? I bet there's someone who's looking for a cat with a bladder problem [Eek!] out there somewhere.

#10382 - 05/15/04 12:47 AM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Smile, I have a solution but it may not be one you care to use. There is an organization called:

The Best Friends Animal Santuary and its in Kanab, Utah. They have a no kill animal haven and take in all kinds of sick, stray animals, you name it they have it. They would probably take in your cat, no questions asked. Its the organization I work with. Their address is:
5001 Angel Canyon Road, Kanab, Utah 84741, the phone #is(435)644-2001 or fax (435)644-2078.
Email: editor@bestfriends.og
You and your husband could drive her up there and be assured she would have expert veterinary care and a loving home until she died, She'd live with other cats just like her, in a natural friendly setting. NO CAGES...They also have people all over the country working for them and there might be someone near you that would take her in. This is a way for you to have your home back to normal and know you've done the humane SAFEST thing for your trusting, loving pet. [Wink]

#10383 - 05/20/04 06:06 PM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What's happening with the cat?

My husband and son are allergic to cats, dogs, and horses. We happened upon a hypo-allergenic dog, a cockapoo. She's ahlf cocker spaniel and half poodle. We've had her for 7(?) years and no one's allergic.

#10384 - 05/20/04 10:55 PM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
smilinize Offline

Well, the cat is movin' on up. And out. Maybe.

I got him a new bed. It's very elegant. Leopard skin and soft furry stuff and it's filled with catnip (figured I would drug him).
He hates it. Won't go near it.

I got him a new litter box with a roof and a deodorizer thingy. It's the best and most expensive I could find. Really neat.
Haven't caught him peeing on the carpet yet, but sometimes he hides it.
Probably poop in the floor at any moment. Good-bye kitty.

I got him a new dog house. It's really big and I got him a new water and food bowl and put them inside the dog house with his new bed. I wanted him to get used to it before his big move. It's all set up right in the middle of the den near the TV. Very attractive.

Almost $200 so far and the carpet still smells. Gotta' get him out of here before the new carpet arrives!!
Phatt Katt is getting on my NERVES!!!
smile

#10385 - 05/21/04 03:40 AM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Have you checked out the folks at Best Friends at all? I am a very firm believer in the fact that our aniomals know whats in our minds and our hearts, they have senses we don't have. Thats not an assumption its as fact. This cat knows you are trying to get rid of him and all these things are a part of that, so he is being obstinate. If I were closer I would rescue him but I have all these dogs here right now, my two and 4 rescues needing homes approved. The birds gone but I have a guinea pig now too. Busy here at Casa Micheles...Imagine me considering a full time job!! When I have all this going on. Have you checked your area to see if theres a NO KILL shelter available. It would be a shame to end a life over a carpet. I know the feeling however but I put down tile when pulling up the old nasty carpets, really a life saver and looks great too. Less stress on me and the visiting animals that have an accident from time to time. Hope it all works out.... [Wink]

#10386 - 05/21/04 03:57 AM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
smilinize Offline

I looked at the website and couldn't find anything around here. I h

I've been to Kanab and loved it.

#10387 - 05/21/04 04:37 AM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
smilinize Offline

I looked at the website and there was nothing about anything around here. I've been to Kanab and love it, but can't take him now. My husband has little vacation and he would scream all the way. (the cat not my husband)
I hate to put the rascal out, (cat not husband) but I see no other way. I've checked around here and all the no kill places are full. Even the vet who helps with placements said no one will take an incontinent cat.
Phatt is still boycotting the new house, but he's gone in a couple of times for food so maybe he's warming up to it. I hope.
I'm planning to put him outside this weekend if it doesn't rain.
smile

#10388 - 06/06/04 11:16 PM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Smilinize I was wondering how things are progressing with Phatt the exiled cat? Last we heard he was making his home in the garage but the other day you wrote something about the garage door being broken and some marauding Racoons chewing up your air ducts out there. How is the poor old cat handling all this? [Confused]

#10389 - 06/07/04 05:25 AM Re: Cat being exiled for allergies
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
quote:
I'm planning to put him outside this weekend if it doesn't rain.
who? the cat or your husband?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved