The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 191 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10199 - 01/29/03 06:07 AM Recent Diabetic
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
My husband was recently diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. I know why. It's the Tasty Kakes and sitting all the time. The doctor wants him to control it with diet and exercise. The thing is, this week he's doing good, but I give him about two weeks before he isn't motivated and heads right to Krispy Kremes and the 7-11 for a slurpee. Any suggestions on helping him out without becoming the food police?

#10200 - 01/29/03 06:30 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Candice, All you can do is shop and cook smart. Make heart healthy, diabetes friendly food choices. Maybe you two could start walking together each night or morning, I know exercise helps with diabetes control. But when it comes to what he does when you aren't around, well there is just nothing you can do. Like any other bad habit, smoking, drinking, drugs, overeating must be controlled by the over eater. You are so right, he'll resent you if you become the food police. Try packing nutritious snacks in little zip locs and leaving them in his car for him. That may curb the urge to detour to Krispy Creme.

#10201 - 01/29/03 07:12 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
My husband is also a type II diabetic. For him the thought of having to take insulin shots every day was enough to motivate him. He lost 30 lbs the first month just because he started eating the right things. It was amazing! -- and now he feels so good -- better than he did when he was a kid -- so he continues to eat well.

The foods in the grocery store for diabetics now are delicious. Smart choice and weight watcher frozen dinners are not only good, but will actually fill him up. In our case, it was cheaper to buy the prepared dinners than to cook it ourselves - so check into them. He chews Wrigleys EXTRA sugarless gum (bubble gum flavor in the pink pack)WITH his coffee instead of sugar -- and he was a "little bit of coffee with his sugar" drinker. He also prefers to eat sandwiches to a sit down formal dinner - still gets his meat, cheese, bread, lettuce -- just all on a sandwich.

Make it an adventure -- we had so much fun at the grocery store reading labels and trying new things -- and dont just look at the sugar content -- carb's turn into sugar so beware of them too. Instead of having a "night out" -- spend a few hours at the grocery store -- it really can be alot of fun if you want it to be ;-)

It may sound like a drag to be diagnosed with diabetes -- but actually it could have saved his life!! And actually -- it won't hurt YOU to start eating well yourself ;-)

GOOD LUCK

#10202 - 02/25/03 09:17 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Candice Johnson Offline

I wanted to give you an update. After one month of changing his diet, my hubby's cholesterol is in the normal range and his blood sugar has gone down 40 points. It is still high, but the doctor thinks another month will show more improvements.
He has lost 27 pounds in the process.

He is a little bummed about the blood sugar not being normal. Any thoughts on how to keep him from feeling like it's not working?

[ February 25, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Candice Johnson ]

#10203 - 02/26/03 01:42 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Try getting his mind off the sugar level and concentrate on how much weight he's loss and lowering his cholesterol

Like maybe -- a little pinch on the bottom next time you walk past him [Eek!]

#10204 - 02/26/03 03:46 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Candice,
Your husband sounds to me like he is doing great for a newly diagnosed diabetic. Choleterol and weight loss are important too.
Just because the blood sugars are still high does not mean he has failed. It takes a lot of exercise and diet to keep all of this in control. Its a complete life changing event. My blood sugars can be like a roller coaster. Stress, illness makes them go higher.
Tell him to keep a positive attitude about what he has done. My husband is constantly telling me that and I appreciate his support. I commend you on being supportive but if he needs to have a fit let him you may learn what's really bothering him.
Good luck to both of you!
Maggie

#10205 - 02/26/03 04:43 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I have found that taking 400 mcg of Chromium Picolinate, which is an herb you buy over the counter at Walmart, helps to lower my blood sugar about 10 points every day. I currently take Glucatrol XL and Glucaphage twice a day for my type 2 diabetes. I am not the best diabetic, I do indulge in a bit of chocolate here and there, but have learned how to fit it into my diet plan, not on a daily basis, but as a special treat once a week or so. The key is the carbs. If you set a limit on the amount of carbs you eat, then you can literally stuff yourself full of other great foods. I also know that by eating a large lettuce salad before the main course, often I am not tempted to want a dessert. I keep sugar-free jello on hand to pack for my work lunches. You can also get sugar-free pudding in the little snack cups, but they are harder to find.
One of the ways I resist eating a candy bar when I am tempted is to superimpose the image of an insulin syringe and needle in my mind on the candy bar wrapper. I am not fond of being poked by needles.
Chewing bubble gun often gives me relief from sugar cravings. Yes, it does have some sugar, but only 3 grams. I can have 3 or 4 pieces of bubble gum and still be under my 15 gram carb limit for snacks.
There are lots of little tricks you can learn. I would recommend anyone newly diagnosed to join the ADA (American Diabetes Association). With it you will get a monthly magazine that is full of luscious recipes, handy hints, informative articles on new technologies and treatments, and a reader forum that you can contact the experts with any questions you might have.
Before changing any medical regimen your doctor has prescribed for you, please contact him and ask for permission to try anything new.

#10206 - 02/26/03 04:57 PM Re: Recent Diabetic
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
With a husband who is Type 1 and a daughter who is Type 2, I have a couple thoughts.

First, really work on how happy you are for him and his efforts. Maybe even do something to celebrate the good news. He has really worked hard and deserves a little celebration. It takes such discipline to change eating habits. It is something that probably weighs on his mind a good part of the day. [Frown]

Second, one of the very best ways to lower blood sugar is exercise! I don't know if he is doing blood tests daily, but if he did he could see the immediate results of exercise. [Mad] I know, another life change!

Going to the Y and working out often allows my husband the beauty of one less shot a day! [Razz]

When my daughter swims for her swim team, she is able to eat a little more because her blood sugar often drops quite a bit after an hour of grueling laps. [Wink]

Another thing my daughter swears by (she doesn't take medicine, she uses diet and exercise to keep her numbers down), is hot baths. This is only a temporary blood level drop, but it works for her. She will sit in that hot bath and later test her blood and it will have dropped a little. Often enough for her to feel like she can have a little more dinner, or a much deserved treat. [Cool]

Thanks for coming here for support. There are enough of us here to help you too! Keep helping him keep up the good work. You are a very big part of this picture for him! And don't feel guilty if you find yourself sneaking candy bars, ice cream, or cookies while he isn't around. I do it all the time and I just figure it is better than eating it in front of their faces when I know they can't indulge with me!

#10207 - 02/27/03 12:47 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Candice,
Yesterday you asked me about a cookbook. My favorite one is the New Diabetic Cookbook. I agree with someone else who wrote you The American Diabetes Association is wonderful. Also you may find Community College and Hospitals will give classes for Diabetics and sometimes there are cooking classes. I forgot to mention all this in my last post.
Maggie

#10208 - 02/28/03 03:00 AM Re: Recent Diabetic
Candice Johnson Offline

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and encouragement. My husband does not enjoy unsolicited advice, but I will keep everything in mind when he does want some assistance. This month he wants to tackle exercise, so I am going to start walking with him next week, if we can make are way to the sidewalks with all of this snow!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved