The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#124555 - 07/28/07 04:44 PM spinal stenosis?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Does anyone have it or know someone who does? I'm curious to learn how one lives with it. Thank you.

#124556 - 07/28/07 05:42 PM Re: spinal stenosis?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dotsie, I have congenital spinal stenosis in my lower back. I live with it and take pain pills when necessary. I have to be careful of some things I do. Like lifting, standing and sitting.

What kind of questions do you have?
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#124557 - 07/29/07 01:06 AM Re: spinal stenosis? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I know a young man who also has congenital spinal stenosis. He was just diagnosed. What do you think his quality of life will be in five to ten years?

Sorry to hear you also have it. At what age were you diagnosed?

#124558 - 07/29/07 07:22 AM Re: spinal stenosis?
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
My mother had surgery a few years back for spinal stenosis...at 80 she's way more active than I am...I think hers was more from wear and tear over the years...

#124559 - 07/29/07 11:19 PM Re: spinal stenosis? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Dotsie -

I was popping on to ask a similar question --- here's some very good information about it

http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/spinalstenosis/spinal_sten.htm

#124560 - 07/30/07 03:02 PM Re: spinal stenosis?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:

Sorry to hear you also have it. At what age were you diagnosed?

Dotsie, I was diagnosed about 6 or 7 years ago. I guess I was 39.

Quality of life depends on the progression of the disease. Spinal Stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal. In most people, it's due to bone growths, spurs, etc growing inside the canal. For those with congenital SS, the actual canal itself narrows as you grow older. There is usually no surgery that can correct it like they can by "scraping" out the bone growths. Since I've had it my whole life and I'm 45, my quality of life is pretty darn good. I can walk (can't ride a bike, play tennis, or rollerblade anymore)

I used to be in a wheelchair and had to use a cane in 2002 and 2003 but with exercise and good medication I am past that. My wheelchair is in the garage gathering dust, where it's breen for the past 3 or 4 years.

As I grow older, My spinal canal will eventually deteriorate and narrow to the point where it places too much pressure on the spinal cord and I may end up in a wheelchair again. But, it can be so slow in doing so that I live a long and full life before that ever happens, if it ever does. The doctors really don't know at what rate my canal is narrowing so can't determine something like that.

I just keep on doing what I can and with some limitations, enjoy my life.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#124561 - 07/30/07 08:44 PM Re: spinal stenosis? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate it. I had no idea you were wheelchair bound in the past. Wow, that must have been some great medication because I know you travel and get out to walk most days.

Lion, I guess we're here for the same reason. My thoughts and prayers are with them and you.

#124562 - 07/30/07 11:51 PM Re: spinal stenosis?
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Thank you Dotsie

Although the doctor says this isn't inherited - I beg to differ. My mother has this and so did my grandfather. Grandpa was in his 80's before it "wheelchaired him" and my mom is 83 and living with this with minimal problems.

YET - neither of them did hard manual work - Several times a week at work I see wheelchair bound people due to this illness. I am so happy for Vickie that she has gotten past that - at least for now.

So my prayers are that college is in the near future. He is such a smart boy - it's a shame that money stands between him and school.

But, we both know that things will fall into place when the time is right. I happen to know a pretty smart lady that's watching over him and if anyone can figure out how to get him into college - it will be her

#124563 - 08/03/07 11:52 AM Re: spinal stenosis? [Re: lionspaaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

She'll do it. She'll get on that phone and computer and find a way.

#124564 - 09/07/07 12:37 AM Re: spinal stenosis?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have spinal stenosis. Mine is in my neck vertebre and I had surgery to correct one area where it was severe. I had the scar tissue removed that was choking my spinal cord. I had fallen and that is how they found it. Because I feel and already had stenosis, I did damage to my cord before they found it. As soon as they found the stenosis, they did surgery to stop any cord damage and to save my life because my damage/stenosis, was in a high neck vertebre and it would have cut my cord in a place that I would not survive.
Because I've had stenosis once, chances are that I will have it again. When it shows again, I will have the surgery again to relieve the pressure on my cord. Now my stenosis is diagnosed as mild to moderate which is kind of normal for woman over 40. Being a dancer, it did me no good to take a slight damage in my cord but I am grateful they found it in time to save my life and allow me to walk, and move my arms and legs, even to dance.
But I am a chronic pain patient because of the cord damage and nerve damage from waiting too long for surgery.
Stenosis is cured by surgery but the scar tissue could cause you to need it a second time.
Most live with stenosis unless it is severe and the cord needs to be released.
How is that, Dotsie? If I can answer anymore questions, please let me know!
dancer9 On the internet because of stenosis.

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved