The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10953 - 08/10/05 05:32 PM Anybody know anything about MS???
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
I am so terribly sad today. It looks like my daughter-in-law is going to be officially diagnosed with MS. She isn't even 30 and is both beautiful and brilliant. She is also mother to two of my grandkids, ages 5 and 2. This has stunned our family. We don't even know where to start, and of course, poor DIL is quietly hysterical. I'm going to go look up info on the internet, but if anybody has any experience, I'd appreciate input.

#10954 - 08/11/05 07:07 AM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Fifty,

All I know is I think it has something to do with the nervous system. I think the binding that wraps around the nerves comes unwrapped somehow and the damage begins. Have a cousin that has it, they think.

Not a great thing to have. Hope all works out, will pray for her and your family. Blessings.

Sandpiper

#10955 - 08/11/05 07:46 AM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm so sorry. This is very sad. All I can mention is Montel Williams. He was diagnosed quite a few years ago and is still going strong. I do know he works out a ton, watches what he eats and has to smoke legal, medicinal marijuana to take the pain away every morning. Sadly, it's impossible to buy anymore. He can barely get out of bed in the mornings without it. He's fighting it with everything he has and raising money for research. You might want to buy his book where he talks about it. Sorry, but I can't remember the name but I do know all of the proceeds benefit MS research. Hope this helps a little.

#10956 - 08/10/05 10:16 PM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Fifty, Sorry for the sad news.

[Razz] I don't have info, but just want you to know I'll continue to pray for your DIL and the rest of the family as you face this new challenge in your lives.

#10957 - 08/11/05 05:03 AM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I know a couple of people who've been diagnosed with MS. It's not the death sentence it used to be. They have to be careful not to do certain things, like one of them can't take showers. And they have their bad days, but the medications seem to help a lot.

#10958 - 08/11/05 06:48 AM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Please email me and I may be able to put you in touch with someone who has it and is doing very well and has been for years. It's a guy. Don't know if that makes a difference.

#10959 - 08/11/05 07:18 AM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
I have several female friends with MS. Sue has had MS longer than my other friends and was diagnosed when she was fifteen. She's now in her late 40's. Her eye doctor diagnosed her when she went in for an eye exam. She's been on meds ever since and, in general, lives a normal life. She has a problem with fatigue, takes a nap every day and is severely allergic to scents. If a scent...perfume, smoke, etc... wafts near her, she almost immediately, has a reaction. Her speech slurs, she drags her feet because she can't lift her legs, her motor skills are severely impeded. She's now an ostrich farmer but has been a special needs elementary school teacher and a Harley Davidson mechanic and shop owner.

Two years ago Sue had breast cancer and the subsequent chemo treatments really helped her MS symptoms. Her doctor told her that was one of the strange and good side effects of chemo for MS patients.

MS affects more women than men and is considered an auto-immune disease. These days medications help tremendously. Having said all that, I'll add this...it's still MS and a rotten thing to happen to your DIL. Ya'll are in my prayers.

#10960 - 08/11/05 04:58 PM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Thanks so much for the input, everybody. We are, naturally, worried sick. Yesterday I got on the phone with my DIL and we both ended up crying. It was just so hard. Fortunately, her numbness has subsided somewhat, but she now feels like she's just dragging her left side around. They confirmed lesions??? but she will have to wait for the neurology appointment and probable spinal tap before the final diagnosis is rendered.
In the meantime, we're researching everything we can and saying lots of prayers. She's such a tough cookie on the outside, but I can tell how terrified she is right now (yes, indeed, men do go out and marry their mother [Big Grin] ) I'll be looking for any help anybody can give. Ironically, my own doctors just told me last week that I can't go back to work for a bit because of my own (much less severe) auto-immune disease. I was furious at first, but have come to accept that it was all for a reason I just didn't know at the time. This way, I will be available to her as needed. I'll be heading back up during her neurology appointments and tests. The best way I know how to help her is to take care of her kids for her--the effect on them is what worries her the most.
Anyway, thanks again. I feel like I need the support in order to support her!

#10961 - 08/13/05 06:34 PM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Fifty, one thing she has going for her is you.

Your posts have love for your son and DIL pouring from them. We share you concern here and look forward to sharing blessings as well as I am very confident that marked strides will be made in the future re: MS.

I have had several friends with MS and they have been some of the most optimistic, driven people I know. It seems to me that my experience looking in shows that in order to "beat" this you have to realize the limits that MS brings and work with the napping and getting the rest you need and the proper diet and exercise and the other stuff say

"You will not stop me today." and keep on.

Keep supporting the woman, and with help from God she will be able to face this.

What a treasure to be so loved - I am glad my MIL is like that as well - she's my 2nd mom....that gift in a marriage is blessing and shows just what "good stock" her hubby comes from - which will be a help to them both in the future.

You didn't mention your Son - how's he holding up...chronic illness of a spouse can be really tough on a husband...

#10962 - 08/15/05 04:48 AM Re: Anybody know anything about MS???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My sister was diagnosed with MS in her twenties and most of the time was fine but as time went by she had the numbness, eye trouble and numerous other problems. When she was 44 she would fall and lay on the floor unable to move or get up alone until someone came home to help her. The hardest part was when her mind began to go. She would forget things like how to go to the bathroom, she would flush her clothes down the toilet, walk out naked into the livingroom. I brought her to live with me hoping the climate might help her. I took her to dancing lessons for her unstableness and it seemed to help, the instructor was wonderful with her. Finally at 48 she was diagnosed with severe dementia and her mind was gone. She had to be in a wheelchair all the time and strapped into bed at night so she wouldn't hurt herself, she died by choking to death at age 50. That was in 1994. She deterierated a bit at a time. Now they have medicines that help and can keep it in remission for years. My sister took Lecithin and it seemed to help her mind. I hope all turns out for your DIL and the family.

[ August 14, 2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved