The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9576 - 06/12/05 08:15 PM domestic violence
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi ladies,

I need some help with a rather sensitive topic. I am in the process of writing an article for a national magazine on how domestic violence affects pets and how often a woman's need to protect her pet from abuse will prevent her from leaving the abuser.

What I need is some anecdotal information from women who have been through something like this. I know it's a sensitive topic but I feel that anecdotal information will make the piece stronger.

If you have been thru something like this and would be willing to go on record with your experiences that may end up in a national publication (I say may because it is on spec) then please contact me for a phone interview. Email me directly at k_stone@bellsouth.net

Thanks,
Kelly

#9577 - 07/27/05 05:26 AM Re: domestic violence
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Brought this one back as it was sadly overlooked. This is an all too often happening. Here in Vegas they have just opened the first Crisis Center Shelter that accepts pets as well as the mom and kids. It is fixed up so nice for the pet and they can be near the family too. We have seen pets abused even tortured and killed by the abuser after his family escapes to freedom. This is such an traumatic time for the children as it is...super topic Kelly..

#9578 - 07/27/05 08:05 AM Re: domestic violence
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I corresponded with Kelly regarding this topic, and she has submitted her article. Chatty, I am disgusted by how animals are abused. I can't even think about it. But I am encouraged by the number of animal shelters that are arising in conjunction with family violence. I have a friend who works at a shelter. Since there was no coordination with the animal shelters, my friend would take dogs and cats to her own home for safe keeping. In CO Springs, there is a foster care program for the pets, too. Thank goodness. LLL

#9579 - 07/28/05 04:46 PM Re: domestic violence
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
The link between animal abuse and future violence toward humans has been proven time and again. The US Dept of Justice put out stats a few years ago that said that over 80% of violent offenders in our prison systems had a history of abusing and torturing animals as kids or young adults. My opinion is that the reason this statistic isn't taken more seriously is because animals in general are not afforded their inherent rights to be free of abuse and suffering. Only until that happens will we see a change in how violence toward animals and humans is handled in our world. Gandhi said it-- how a society treats its animals speaks volumes about the people within that society (that's a paraphrase).

Kelly

#9580 - 07/28/05 05:56 PM Re: domestic violence
The Power of Addicted Lov Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Makes me want to take them all home and put them under my wing.

Here in Phoenix we see people on the news who have 90 PLUS animals in their homes. I won't describe the smell or what the cameras showed up but you can only imagine.

Too sad!

Teresa

#9581 - 07/29/05 05:05 AM Re: domestic violence
chatty lady Offline
Writer

They call those people horders and although they mean well this is a form of animal cruelty at its worst. Here in Vegas I have helped remove hundreds of poor animals being kept in crowded, filthy conditions and here, its a jailable offense. I am a foster mom for injured/abused/or lost animals and never have more than 6 or 7 at a time. My home is literally spotless and so are the animals and they eat better than most people. Hopefully someday we may have no more animal or child abuse, maybe in a better life.

#9582 - 07/30/05 02:38 AM Re: domestic violence
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Changing gears a little bit. My publisher had been forwarding letters to me from a woman in the south, complete with pictures and rambling letters. I don't know what she wants but dropped her a short note, asking how I could help. She sends at least one letter a week to my publisher. She isn't with the abuser anymore. Kind of making me nervous. She looks a little crazy in the pictures. She's sent me copies of her marriage certificate, child's birth certificate, drivers license, ss card, etc. Lynn, have you had this type of experience?

#9583 - 07/30/05 06:58 PM Re: domestic violence
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dianne, wow, this is crazy. Sure, I got emails, but not through the publisher since I am print-on-demand. I wish I had a publisher to cover for me. Readers go to my web site to email me. No, I have not had this kind of on-going contact. Why would she send you so much identifying information? That is so weird! I'd send it back with a note saying that you are not comfortable keeping personal id stuff. And refer her to a national DV hotline. I'll PM this reply since I know you will be gone for a few days. Where are you going this time? Love and Light, Lynn

#9584 - 07/31/05 06:13 AM Re: domestic violence
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Yup, she's off and running again!

#9585 - 08/10/05 05:24 AM Re: domestic violence
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Since Lynn is gone until the 18th I'll jump in and say, "run." This woman is stalking you in a whole nuther way. I would distance myself and ask your publisher to NOT forward or accept anymore stuff from this individual she sounds like a wacko to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved