The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 68 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118870 - 05/16/07 02:31 PM update-not good I'm afraid
copygal Offline

Loc: Texas
Good Morning Ladies,
Finally heard from the woman at the Dallas Morning News. She said they were not interested in adding any lifestyle columns at present, but that she would keep my idea in her file for future consideration. I'm not surprised, but definitely disappointed. A friend suggested I become a Guide at About.com and I'm considering it, though it wouldn't be on the subject I most want to write about. On the positive side, I've been working on my book about becoming a widow. Up to now, it's been way too painful to work on, but after I hit the three year mark, I decided it was time to move on and start working on it. It just feels right, I feel like I have to do this. Trouble is, making a living is still paramount. So, now it's time to fall back and regroup. I'm not giving up. There has to be a way to make this idea work.

Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

#118871 - 05/16/07 02:41 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: copygal]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hey girlfriend. May I make a suggestion or two?

1) That particular newspaper isn't the only one around. Submit your idea to others. There are literally thousands and I sent out queries to about 50 one time and got a gig that way. It lasted 2.5 years.

or

2) Start a newsletter. It won't cost you a dime to do it because it can be sent via email. You can get people to contribute stories or essays to it, and may even get a sponsor for it. If so, then move on to something like Constant Contact where you can put in graphics, banners, ads, etc...

Don't give up. There IS a way. You have to ask yourself, how bad do I want to do this. You already know the answer.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way! I STILL believe it is an excellent idea!

#118872 - 05/16/07 02:41 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: copygal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
"I'm not giving up."

Those are the words you need to keep with you, Copygal. Your time will come.

Kathy

#118873 - 05/16/07 09:07 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
the smaller papers may be more receptive...keep going...

#118874 - 05/18/07 04:55 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: Jane_Carroll]
copygal Offline

Good Morning Ladies,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful encouragement and a special thank you to the Queen for some great ideas. I'm going to send the pitch letter, article and sample columns to as many newspapers as I can. Wish me luck. In the meantime, I'm working like crazy on my book. I can't concentrate on any other projects right now, so I guess that means I'm moving in the right direction. The words are just flowing, always a good sign. And I've contacted Infinity Publishing for some information on their publishing services. Anyway, thanks again for everything. Ya'll are the best!

#118875 - 05/19/07 06:36 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: copygal]
Cynthy Offline

Loc: California
Oh Copy, stay with it. I would buy your book on widowhood in a heartbeat. You've been such an encouragement to me in my darkest hours. I've loved your blog, copied them and re-read them. They show kind, courageous insight. Sadly, there are many boomer widows and your writing is a light in a tunnel of grief. Go for it! Love and blessings to you~

#118876 - 05/20/07 10:17 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: Cynthy]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
copy, how are the queries coming along?

There are plenty women in here who have written their stories. Maybe they aren't about widowhood, but I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you have about writing your story.

#118877 - 05/20/07 11:33 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Copygal sent you a PM...keep up the good work.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#118878 - 05/21/07 12:59 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
It sounds like you have a passion for your book. That is a very good sign. Keep plugging on it, you'll get there. Good luck, my friend.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#118879 - 05/21/07 02:04 PM Re: update-not good I'm afraid [Re: Cynthy]
copygal Offline

Cynthy,
I'm so touched by your words, it took me some time to know what to say. I'm just so grateful that I could help. I think of you often and I know your first year is coming to a close. I can tell by the tone of your emails and posts that you are doing better, though the pain and sadness are still there. The pain never goes completely away, though it does become more tolerable; the sadness makes way eventually for the happy memories to surface, the good times, the fun you had, the things you accomplished together. Making a new life without your husband doesn't sound desirable, but must be done, and you're going to be all right. Remind yourself of all you've learned and accomplished on your own. Your husband would be very proud of you.

Anyway, thanks so much for your very kind words, I'm touched and humbled and grateful I could help. That's why I'm writing this book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved