The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 208 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93955 - 10/31/06 09:25 AM Retire or not Retire? That is the question.
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Work wise, I find myself so unmotivated and just plain burnt out. Problem is I'm self-employed, and business has slowed to a stop. I'm seriously thinking of retiring because the pressure to bring in the money is not fun any more. The frustration of working for nothing is getting under my skin. I was hoping after our long vacation that I'd feel more spark, but it just isn't the case.
On the other hand, I'm worried if Hubby and I can adjust to a much smaller income. Hubby is leaving the decision up to me. He's already retired, but of course enjoys the laurels of my additional income (when it comes in). Hmf, what to do?

I'm wondering if any of you had a problem with this decision? Has anyone ever regretted going into early retirement? Do you get bored? Do you wish you had more money to do more things? Do you lead a more active life when retired?

I sure would appreciate comments from my Boomer friends.

#93956 - 10/31/06 09:56 AM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: Edelweiss]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
I can appreciate your situation. My house was on the market and I had a buyer who, in July, changed his mind. There has been little to no interest now, in this depressed real estate market. I'm not sure the situation is the same in Germany, but perhaps so. And I'm guessing that's why you're working without seeing much of a return.

Do you possibly have a hobby that you can ratchet up into a money maker? This might add some excitement to your days and bring in some income as well.

Many of my friends don't have the option of retiring - we all talk about "pushing it into high gear in our later years", instead of having the luxury of retiring.

If you and your hubby can work out a plan so that you will be okay, financially, and you have enough shared interests to keep you busy, then by all means enjoy your retirement!

#93957 - 10/31/06 03:13 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: klmr13]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
And maybe if you retire from your current business, you'll find something else you love to do that can bring in some money too!

Good luck with your decision; very nice that your hubby is so supportive.

Kathy

#93958 - 10/31/06 03:50 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Since my company "retired" me, I didn't have much choice after 25 years. But I can honestly say that one becomes very creative when one has to...

Hobbies are great things to generate extra income, but if money isn't a DAY TO DAY issue, but may take away from some luxuries, then I might suggest figuring up what you think you would "miss out on" if you retired and figure what that cost would be... then find something in your life you do "now" that you could forego in order to set that moola aside for the luxury. It is workable...

Another thing I might add is that I have found (and this isn't necessarily true for everyone) that the things I thought I would "miss," I haven't. My lifestyle hasn't changed much except I am busier than I've ever been in my life!

If you think you can't make extra money, think again. There are TONS of ways! I don't know about Germany, but here in the States, we can save up papers and junk mail, and sell it back to the recycle centers. If you have enough, you can make as much as $300.00 a weekend. Just one example. I have done this, but I know someone who has. As a matter of fact, he made it into a "side" business after it took on a life of it's own. He now goes around his neighborhood, and other ones, and collects their newspapers and other junk mail, and then takes it to the recycle center and sells it. The people who had the papers are grateful for his FREE pickup service, and he is grateful for the FREE papers.

Make a list of what you do now
Make a list of what you think you would miss

You might be surprised!

#93959 - 10/31/06 06:06 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Thanks klmr13, Kathy and JJ for you comments. They have truly helped me decide what I should do. Starting January, I will put my business on hold till the market gets better. Your right, klmr, we have the same economy slump in real-estate like you do. It's always been that way. Can't figure why.
And I know what hobby I'll be pursuing next year! I'm going to be writing my heart out and be busy submitting to agents and publishers. I've always been so frustrated that I haven't had time to send queries on my finished novel. I'm hoping and praying that someday I can call myself an author, like so many of you.

#93960 - 10/31/06 06:38 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: Edelweiss]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Good luck to you Hannalore!

#93961 - 10/31/06 07:49 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: TVC15]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Oh, Hannelore...you have a FINISHED novel - You already can call yourself an author, my dear, because you ARE!

Sometimes things happen in strange ways. Perhaps this is the "push" that you needed to publish your book.
Wishing you the best of luck!

#93962 - 10/31/06 09:59 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: klmr13]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Another author. And on the way to retirement! I am jealous.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#93963 - 10/31/06 10:02 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: Anno]
easysolutions Offline
stranger

Loc: usa
Here's an article of interest.
Are Baby Boomers better off taking early retirement offers?

October 30, 2006 - As companies look to cut back on payroll, some baby boomers are being offered buyouts by their companies. Is it a good idea to take early retirement, or do boomers need to explore their options?

When the Washington Post offered a buyout to . . . .

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5608629

-------------------------

#93964 - 10/31/06 11:38 PM Re: Retire or not Retire? That is the question. [Re: easysolutions]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am earning retirement dollars now. I do however do many other things to make ends meet. I edit manuscripts and that is my major way of earning a buck. I also crochet and sell the afghans I make. I do some proof reading for college essay writers, and Ghost write peoples novels for them. All in all I am very busy and able to live comfortably. You do, or may have to cut back some but it isn't hard.

Edited by chatty lady (10/31/06 11:39 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved