The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#184099 - 06/11/09 05:42 PM House sitting
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
When you go away, do you get a house sitter?
If so, how do you pay, if at all? We've had two and they worked out great. Thinking of doing it again (same one as last time, VERY reliable and a friend for 14 years)...

In food (allowing them to eat what is in the house)?; or money; or just the fact that they use your utilities is enough pay?

#184106 - 06/11/09 08:14 PM Re: House sitting [Re: ]
Di Offline

Anne, you get $20/day or for entire duration? thanks for the input. It's good to see what others do.

#184120 - 06/11/09 11:42 PM Re: House sitting [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When my ex lived in Minnesota, he use to housesit for some friends in his church, he got to eat anything in the house and they always stocked the freezer with his favorite ice cream. He watered the plants, fed the dog and put out salt for the wild deer that gathered near their pond. He slept there on the sofa a couple times as well and they paid him $20.00 per day and that was back in 1990's. If there for more than a week, he mowed the lawn which took two days and he got an extra $50.00 for that chore.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#184134 - 06/12/09 04:08 AM Re: House sitting [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I've never asked any of my friends who have done it occasionally --usually a neighbour-friend.

Of course, this happens within my own family, where 1 sibling stays at the home of another for a few weeks.

#184171 - 06/12/09 08:55 PM Re: House sitting [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What do people need a house sitter for anyway if there are no pets involved? I make sure everything is locked up tight and leave lights on inside and a radio playing. My car is parked in the driveway as usual. I prefer no one in my home if I'm not there.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#184181 - 06/13/09 07:56 AM Re: House sitting [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Never had a house sitter ; we have insurance covering everything including a break-in. When gone, our son mows our lawn and harvests our strawberries.
In our neighbourhood, you got to be careful that neighbours don't cover your entrance with home grown fruit and vegetables. lol.

#184211 - 06/13/09 08:00 PM Re: House sitting [Re: ]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
We rented a condo in FL last winter and became acquainted with a neighbor that had made quite a nice business out of checking on the 'snowbirds' condo's while they are vacant for the summer months. He also had a little taxi service to and from the local airport that was lucrative also. He was usually done with his stops by noonish - not a bad deal to supplement retirement.

#184252 - 06/14/09 02:46 AM Re: House sitting [Re: browser57]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm pet sitting right now for a family member and I'm not making a cent. HA! Who knows, maybe I'll get a tee shirt.

Our kids used to do pet sitting, and they'd also get the mail and papers daily, turn on and off lights. People were generous. They'd get $75.00 to $100.00 a week. I guess people figured they's have to pay that much to put their pets in a kennel.

#184256 - 06/14/09 03:05 AM Re: House sitting [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Yes, we need house sitters because we have five dogs, a cat, a garden and lawns. Not to mention mail etc. Plus, in the country, if pipes brake, someone should be there.

We've kenneled dogs before, but only when we had two. Now, with our "clan", they need to be home in their own environment.

Thanks for everyone's input!

#185504 - 06/30/09 02:42 PM Re: House sitting [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
We do not have a house sitter; the dog goes with us. But WB has timers, which put the lights on and off. Neighbors see us leave
and return. I'm sure they watch the place when we're gone. We have the mail and paper stopped during the duration that we're gone. I don't know the going rate for house sitting but am wondering if you can google it. I google about every question that pops into my brain, if I don't know the answer off the top of my head. LOL...

Edited by jabber (06/30/09 02:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved