The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#163768 - 10/25/08 07:37 PM Recessionistas... Or "Frugal Chic."
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
We have a new trend upon us. The label is "recession chic."
Many women think it is rude to buy the high label items at their high prices, but you cannot stop a woman from shopping. Thus, some are on a "spending fast," and some are refusing to spend even if they have it.

What has emerged is that if a woman finds a designer purse, for example, in a line that costs four or five figures, she will go to a place like Target and get a less expensive copy by the same designer!

After the recession of 1989, designers came out with lower priced lines, such as Donna Karan, who is expensive under the label name "Donna Karan," came out with DNKY. This was to make money even though there was a lack of spending money amoung the people.

this time, there is a syle that has been adopted. Women will still buy one or two expensive items but are going to stores like Target, Kohls, Uniglo, or even Payless to save money and get knock offs. This is prevalent even in middle class. (There is a store equvalent to these in the UK, Mountain Ash, I think it is H + M or H and another inital? Perhaps you can help here.

The clothing bought can even be capris, carpenter pants, levis, (501) and cargo pants from Military surplus stores.

The palette is dark. and a severe silhouette. I happen to like it myself. It is practical, a change, and shows the state of the union.

This could be one reason why Palin is under fire for her expensive clothing. The trend is for women to go to the less expensive stores and Nieman Marcus, which I LOVE, is the most expensive besides Barneys, but to her credit, Palin's bill at Barneys was very low.

Soon we may have "Depressionists!"

For young people graduating college and on the job hunt, the trends are pants that fit well on men and women, T's that say something or have a picture of meaning on them and a blazer over all of it. It is the new relaxed workplace attire, esp. for the budding Dot com.

Have you ever found anything in these stores? I know the nurses I work with, (some,) use military surplus for belts to hold all their instruments, tape, etc...

Please share if you find someting in these lower priced stores that match the higher priced items just fine.

I've not of yet found anything I can really use but I wear and have always worn, what are called "boyfriend jeans," which are men's Levi, 501, in a baggy size, with a tighter shirt. It just makes me comfortable if I'm running errands, or even if I am at the hospital in the E.R..

To all recessionistas, good luck! How are your clothing budgets?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#163787 - 10/26/08 03:02 PM Re: Recessionistas... Or "Frugal Chic." [Re: dancer9]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Dancer

Great tips (as always!)...since I regained the weight I lost two years ago, my clothing spending has dropped to almost nil (great for the budget!)...now I'm at the point where I don't really know what to wear that looks good on my frame and doesn't look like a sack of groceries hanging around (oops, now that I think of it, maybe that's where the missing items from the grocery went...and to think, I figured it was my poor memory for leaving them at the store...grin). This is when it is a real kewl thing to work from home...except that hubbie gets to see me in the same old baggy sweater (inherited from my son) and pants 'cuz that is all that fits right now! I truly don't like going shopping right now 'cuz nothing I put on seems to do much for me. So I'm counting my blessings that lots of clothes aren't needed and considering boxing up the pretties that I had last season so they don't keep "sticking their tongue out" at me and saying "nah nah nana boo boo" at me when I go to the closet!!!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#163801 - 10/26/08 05:31 PM Re: Recessionistas... Or "Frugal Chic." [Re: Mama Red]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
LOL, Mama Red! I love the way you put that about your dressy clothing.
What sort of frame have you now so that I can give you some ideas!
By the way, sweaters are great to wear over "boyfriend," jeans. Go ahead and look at those less expensive stores, even those stores that buy and sell clothing for deals on nice colours of sweaters or shirts that appeal to you.
What is your colouring? That can make a difference in what you choose as well.
One thing I would buy if I was to buy ONE thing and I were you is a BRIGHT sweater to wear with those jeans. BRIGHT crayon colours are great with black this season and great with jeans. If you get it in a standard colour like bright red, it can be worn for many years! Look at the fabric content to tell if a sweater or anything is a good deal in a less expensive store or a resale store. 100 percent anything besides poly is a good deal and probably quality.
Resale stores are a GREAT bet because many women turn over their wardrobe by the season. ( Like me, I admit.) When they get rid of their clothing that may be worn only once or twice, often they sell them to these stores.
In my city the store is called "Buffalo Exchange," and they have branches in other cities. You can find the most popular one by going near a college where they are often found.

Tell me how you do, and what do you think?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#163822 - 10/27/08 02:18 AM Re: Recessionistas... Or "Frugal Chic." [Re: dancer9]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Dancer

You're so kind...thanks for responding! I lovingly (or not so lovingly at times ... grin) say I'm built like a tree trunk, large busted (40DDD) and have, with this most recent health challenge, gotten quite tubby around the middle. I have every faith that my new meds will help and, in the meantime, do need to wear something.

I'm a red head by choice (deep auburn) with the fair coloring so often associated with the Irish lasses of the world (lightly freckled, olive green eyes with gold flecks). I LOVE color (which is partly why I so DONE with my wardrobe...it is mostly black these days and it feels drab). I love the idea of a red sweater (especially I am MamaRed!). I also love rich purple and teal greens. I also love big, chunky ethnic jewelry...I tend toward the flashy side (grin). You can see what I mean if you'd like to take a look at my wedding photos from last year. There are a bunch and many are dupes since I never went through and cleaned it up. Fell of the to-do list I guess! I've gained about 25 pounds since these photos were taken, so ...

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jerilynne.Knight/KnightJoining?authkey=1R2igL1nxIY#

I am, and always have been, quite fond of long skirts. Although I would love to wear high, sexy heels (I won't share what the hubby calls them...quite crude and funny at the same time) and can't wear them due to an injury to my foot a few years ago. So I tend toward the Birkies, Earth Shoes, Keens, etc. and drool quite unabashedly as women walk by in the gorgeous shoes I used to wear. There is simply something about heals that create a nicer 'shape' than flats. And, it is what it is!

What are 'boyfriend jeans'...I noticed you mentioned them before and am unfamiliar with that term.

I'll see what I can find that is "budget conscious"....

Lots of hugs!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved