The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157582 - 08/25/08 11:57 PM New Fall Fashion
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I've done my usual study of it all and I found some trends.
One that is big is menswear looks for women. Even the less expensive lines are showing pants, vests and blouses for fall.
The vest is key. It is big and wearing it over even T-shirts is happening. The vest is worn over blouses, dresses, even sweaters! There are ties for women, and even Gap, (who has a new designer,) will be carrying these "looks."
Checked skirts and pants are everywhere.

There is a boom to wear less expensive clothing. Because of gas prices and food prices, many woman cannot see themselves buying that hugely expensive bag, or coat. Designers are designing inexpensive lines for inexpensive stores because no one will pay the big bucks like they used to for their higher lines.
Fashion reflects life and now will be a time when young people will dress like street kids in the twenties and even the forties. There are scraves that will remind you of that period and fingerless gloves of dull colors will be popular.
Blouses will have bows to tie at the neck or other decor at the neck to make them more conservative. Fashion is showing the war, and the cost of living.
Pea coats, short sleeved sweaters over blouses, and hair that is not so "done," are ways to update your look. Or, get a tie, take one from your husband or brother, and wear it with your shirt and slacks and you'll be happening!

Dancer,

It all looks a lot like the poor in the movie "My Fair Lady," and the dressy things do too!

"Question your privilege"

#157626 - 08/26/08 05:26 AM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Speaking of cheap -- one of the new trends in jewelry is to use plastic with everything. Diamonds with plastic beads. shocked shocked I think I'll skip that trend entirely.

Poet and essayist

#157830 - 08/27/08 09:20 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've seen almost everything you're talking about at the local mall. Saw the ties too. What a hoot. Not so sure I'll be doing that.

What about color? I shop for color and I walked through our Gap on the weekend and didn't touch a single piece of cloting for my daughter or myself because the colors were all so dull. I walked in the side door and out the front. It was disappointing.

Meredith, anything new for the holidays yet?

#157832 - 08/27/08 10:28 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
The only time I would wear a man's tie would be to hang myself...I do like vests. Always have.

#157835 - 08/27/08 10:41 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Back in 1995, my husband worked a six-month contract job in Bermuda. Vests made out of men's ties were all the rage there. The front of the vests were made up entirely of men's ties, but arranged in different designs and colour schemes - no two were alike. Most of the backs were made out of plain silk with a specific design, such as a star or lighthouse or animal (I saw parrots, butterflies, dragonflies, dragons and more) - even a quilted landscape, all made out of pieces of ties in the same colour scheme as the front. They were very eye-catching, very popular and very expensive! I couldn't afford one at the time, but to this day still wish I had bought one. They were quite elegant and distinctive.

(Maya Angelou)

#157836 - 08/27/08 10:56 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: Eagle Heart]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Vests made out of men's ties? I don't think I have ever heard or seen that before, Eagle. What a good idea. I have all my Dad's neck ties. I couldn't bare to part with them when he died. When I look at those ties, I can still picture him wearing each one. I wonder if I could do that with my dad's ties?

#157837 - 08/27/08 11:17 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: Cookie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
After my Dad died, we had a hard time throwing away all of his ties too. I saved enough to make small cushion covers out of them (using Dad's shirts as the backings), one for everyone in the family. But we ended up taking most of his ties and suits to Cuba to give away to some of our friends there - most of whom would never be able to afford to buy suits and ties. What really delights me is that those Cuban friends remember, and often wear the ties while we're there - they know the ties belonged to my Dad and they wear them as a caring gesture to his memory.

But sometimes I still wish I had made at least one pillow cover for myself...that's another idea, Cookie. Then when you miss your Dad you can cradle and hug the pillow close to yourself.

(Maya Angelou)

#157838 - 08/27/08 11:23 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: Cookie]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Cookie, Make roses out of them into a bouquet. If you know how to make ribbon roses, you can make tie roses. OR lay them out if you have enough, side to side to make a circle - you can fold the tops under to make it whatever size you want to frame. If you don't have enough, just skip one place one, skip one place one etc. Use a nice piece of silk underneath for a background. Put your Dad's picture in the middle and you have a beautiful keepsake.

#157881 - 08/28/08 12:49 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: chickadee]
Cookie Offline

Eagle and Chick, thank you both for your wonderful ideas!! You all are so creative! smile

#157939 - 08/28/08 08:16 PM Re: New Fall Fashion [Re: Cookie]
gims Offline

Chick what a neat idea.
EH, good work, as usual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved